The Student Room Group
Reevesy
I know not many schools do this subject, but who actually does this?
We are doing the Oulton Group here at the moment and I find it pretty difficult. What has anyone done for this?

As far as I know, Cisco isn't a subject in itself, it's just the name of a company that makes networking equipment.

You can get Cisco certification where you sit exams etc. to show you use/set up/troubleshoot the equipment etc.
Reply 2
Cisco has several levels of certification which are very highly rated amongst IT companies.

CCNA - Cisco certified network associate is the first one, going right up to CCNP, which is pro.

I found most of CCNA very easy, some stuff bit challenging but unfortunatly i dont have time to finish it at my college. im hoping to transfer it over to university and continue it there.

What help do you need anyway?
qca has approved ccna semesters at level 3

some boards -- ocr -- offer sems as individual units

think edexcel does as well
Hello

At my school they offer a course called ipro from OCR. This is pitched at 2 levels, certificate and diploma. Within this a range of vendor certified (ie cisco) modules can be sat as well as three compulsory modules set by OCR on things like tech support.

Cisco has had a network academy for arround 10 years now. It offers a range of courses. Perhaps most common is CCNA. This has 4 units, CCNA1 to 4. These cover the network basics, router networks, vlans etc. I would say that the course materials are easy to use and once read the exams are pretty easy.

On there own, these modules dont mean much. You have to take Intro (0.5 of CCNA) or CCNA (full CCNA) exam to be worldwide recognised.

Hope this helps

Tom
qca has set ccna as level 3 OCR iPro can not change it

qca has set IT essentials as level 2 and there is an OCR iPro unit
Reply 6
My sixth form, does the CCNA course. It is made up of four "bits". CCNA 1,2,3 and 4.

I am about to complete CCNA 3, i have my final on monday.

Instead of doing CCNA 4, i will be doing the OCR Ipro level 3. In which all i have to do is 3 units, to get 80 UCAS points.
depends if you want 80 points

ccna & get a job 3 years @ 12K = 36K
3 years @ uni = -15K

Latest

Trending

Trending