The Student Room Group

Suicide is easier claims Benefit Claimant.

lizard people are claiming are taking over the world claims person.

Scroll to see replies

Source?
Original post by MatureStudent36
lizard people are claiming are taking over the world claims person.

Wanna try that again in English, kid?
Your post makes no sense but the title of the thread is hardly surprising. In most cases it would be easier to not exist than to have to deal with the DWP. From previous experience, I can attest to that. But of course they make the whole process drawn out, difficult, patronizing and generally unbearable so as not to encourage people to rely on the system and instead to flee from it and gain employment. The problem is that there is often a reason why someone can't get work so making the benefits process unpleasant in order to drive them away just causes claimants more problems and creates antagonism towards the system instead of compliance.
Original post by callum_law

One person claiming something doesn't necessarily mean it's true.
One person claiming something doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

Also 20 million people claiming something doesn't necessarily mean it's true, nor a billion, nor 6.5 billion, nor 7.1 billion. Something being true necessarily means it's true; that and only that.

What is your point?
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Your post makes no sense but the title of the thread is hardly surprising. In most cases it would be easier to not exist than to have to deal with the DWP. From previous experience, I can attest to that. But of course they make the whole process drawn out, difficult, patronizing and generally unbearable so as not to encourage people to rely on the system and instead to flee from it and gain employment. The problem is that there is often a reason why someone can't get work so making the benefits process unpleasant in order to drive them away just causes claimants more problems and creates antagonism towards the system instead of compliance.

It all instances it is easier to be dead than anything, it's not restricted to dealing with the DWP, death removes your problems. Obviously, actually committing suicide may not be as easy.
Also 20 million people claiming something doesn't necessarily mean it's true, nor a billion, nor 6.5 billion, nor 7.1 billion. Something being true necessarily means it's true; that and only that.

What is your point?

Our point is that our resident crusader for disabled people who has no disability himself other than mild dyslexia, whilst claiming to ear over £120k a year as a City trader has a habit of posting made up, poorly sourced, irrelevant cr@p.
Our point is that our resident crusader for disabled people who has no disability himself other than mild dyslexia, whilst claiming to ear over £120k a year as a City trader has a habit of posting made up, poorly sourced, irrelevant cr@p.

Our point? You sound like Gollum, we wants the precious back, we does. Do you have multiple-personality disorder? Perhaps you'd be a better voice for the disabled with your genuine affliction.
Yeah, you may take the piss.

But I've seen first hand what the DWP can do, my mother was already depressed when the cuts and ATOS came into effect. She did indeed become suicidal, because to her yes contemplating just killing herself was a lot easier and more attractive than what they put her through. She still talks about offing herself now, years later.
Original post by Jammy Duel
It all instances it is easier to be dead than anything, it's not restricted to dealing with the DWP, death removes your problems. Obviously, actually committing suicide may not be as easy.

I know. I just didn't want to say that and sound absolutely morbid. The actual act wouldn't be easy in most cases, I agree. Anyway, I'm not in that place anymore and it's probably best for me not to even think about it so I'll just slink out of this thread now.
Suicide is surely always easier?
Reply 12

Firstly, please accept my apology for the other day as I was having a ratty one (no excuse I know).

Regarding the post, I only the other day watched a documentary on the benefits system in Britain and the process that are working to is terrible. They seem to be working to quotas and it in no way seems to be graded against conditions that prevent the individual from claiming. The hoops people have to go through in order to claim what they are entitled to is ridiculous. Who's more qualified than the individual in questions Dr to say if they are the fit for work? There was a man in his 50s that was diagnosed with heart disease. He was on the sick awaiting operation when a request for medical came through. He went, failed it!! Classed as fit for work, went back to work and died some days later.
One lady suffering from severe depression went into the assessment and explained she had severalssuicide attempts to her name and the assessor asked "why are you not dead then? "
The system stinks, it's all quotas and when a certain limít is reached, they pass no more through. Privatization of the assessment for benefits was the first downfall and should simply be at the discretion of your own Gp I believe.
Original post by ExRN
Firstly, please accept my apology for the other day as I was having a ratty one (no excuse I know).

Regarding the post, I only the other day watched a documentary on the benefits system in Britain and the process that are working to is terrible. They seem to be working to quotas and it in no way seems to be graded against conditions that prevent the individual from claiming. The hoops people have to go through in order to claim what they are entitled to is ridiculous. Who's more qualified than the individual in questions Dr to say if they are the fit for work? There was a man in his 50s that was diagnosed with heart disease. He was on the sick awaiting operation when a request for medical came through. He went, failed it!! Classed as fit for work, went back to work and died some days later.
One lady suffering from severe depression went into the assessment and explained she had severalssuicide attempts to her name and the assessor asked "why are you not dead then? "
The system stinks, it's all quotas and when a certain limít is reached, they pass no more through. Privatization of the assessment for benefits was the first downfall and should simply be at the discretion of your own Gp I believe.

No worries, apology accepted :smile:. Hope you're feeling better today.

Yeah, it's pretty dismal how people are treated - it's inhumane. All they care about is meeting targets, they do not care about people.

These two articles are quite telling:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dwp-admits-making-up-quotes-by-benefit-claimants-saying-sanctions-helped-them-10460351.html

https://commonspace.scot/articles/1887/fraser-stewart-what-my-job-in-a-uk-job-centre-told-me-about-today-s-benefits-system

I was personally sanctioned for moving address because I couldn't prove that I wasn't on holiday (absolutely ridiculous) until I had changed my ID documents (i.e. drivers licence) and provided a utility bill. So I was left without money for 3 months and then had no appointments for 7 months - no help at all with getting back to work. They didn't care. Thankfully I'm working now (I got a job without their help) but my experience has made me terrified of ever needing benefits again so I'm working hard to retrain and get a solid career. If it wasn't for my family I would have been homeless and I really don't think I'd be here right now if it wasn't for their support. The DWP have a lot of blood on their hands.
(edited 8 years ago)

Haha please do!!
Reply 15
No worries, apology accepted :smile:. Hope you're feeling better today.

Yeah, it's pretty dismal how people are treated - it's inhumane. All they care about is meeting targets, they do not care about people.

These two articles are quite telling:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dwp-admits-making-up-quotes-by-benefit-claimants-saying-sanctions-helped-them-10460351.html

https://commonspace.scot/articles/1887/fraser-stewart-what-my-job-in-a-uk-job-centre-told-me-about-today-s-benefits-system

I was personally sanctioned for moving address because I couldn't prove that I wasn't on holiday (absolutely ridiculous) until I had changed my ID documents (i.e. drivers licence) and provided a utility bill. So I was left without money for 3 months and then had no appointments for 7 months - no help at all with getting back to work. They didn't care. Thankfully I'm working now (I got a job without their help) but my experience has made me terrified of ever needing benefits again so I'm working hard to retrain and get a solid career. If it wasn't for my family I would have been homeless and I really don't think I'd be here right now if it wasn't for their support. The DWP have a lot of blood on their hands.

Im fortunate, or is it more unfortunate? With being medically discharged from the forces it's pretty much a given that they can't deny I'm unfit for work. It did run quite smoothly for myself when I took significantly more sick but I do have a friend in Wales that has been on the 72 quid a week for an eternity with no sign of any assessment, not even been placed in a group etc. For people that are signed off with mental health issues, be it depression, bipolar, a pychotic disorder, isn't the stress of financial hardship only going to exacerbate the situation even more and essentially keep them on the sick for a longer period of time? Its detrimental to the government by having these delays. I think they are wrong in their thinking that people want to live off the state forever. I would much rather be on top form and getting back out there, as im sure most people on the sick would.
Original post by ExRN
Im fortunate, or is it more unfortunate? With being medically discharged from the forces it's pretty much a given that they can't deny I'm unfit for work. It did run quite smoothly for myself when I took significantly more sick but I do have a friend in Wales that has been on the 72 quid a week for an eternity with no sign of any assessment, not even been placed in a group etc. For people that are signed off with mental health issues, be it depression, bipolar, a pychotic disorder, isn't the stress of financial hardship only going to exacerbate the situation even more and essentially keep them on the sick for a longer period of time? Its detrimental to the government by having these delays. I think they are wrong in their thinking that people want to live off the state forever. I would much rather be on top form and getting back out there, as im sure most people on the sick would.

Exactly. Couldn't have put it better myself.

For some reason the government either don't seem to recognize this or don't want to deal with this. A lot of people who aren't mentally unwell when they first become unemployed end up mentally unwell because of it - if they weren't treated so abysmally in the first place by the DWP and instead were offered real help and support in getting back to work then they wouldn't be sinking into depression and ending up in a cycle of long term unemployment. Not only that but it affects the NHS too. The government lose money from all angles and create a strain on their own resources from treating human beings like statistics.

All in all, the government creates problems for themselves all round by the way they treat claimants. Part of me regards them as heartless and uncaring but I think mostly they are just completely incompetent and clueless. None of the 'advisers' that I ever had dealings with were helpful at all, in fact they were seemingly trying to instigate disagreements (if they get a disagreement they can get you sanctioned so it makes sense) and incredibly patronizing. They didn't even know (not one of the many advisers I spoke to) that a graduate cannot do an apprenticeship (I was constantly referred to apprenticeships) when that should be basic knowledge as part of their role. They always spoke to me about basic courses in Maths and English, CV workshops etc even though they should have known I had qualifications beyond basic Maths/English and had my CV written with my uni careers adviser and had different versions. I just nodded along and signed the papers and ignored them overall because they were useless. The only thing they care about is sanctioning people - it's so obvious to see when you've been in the system.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17

For some reason the government either don't seem to recognize this or don't want to deal with this. A lot of people who aren't mentally unwell when they first become unemployed end up mentally unwell because of it - if they weren't treated so abysmally in the first place by the DWP and instead were offered real help and support in getting back to work then they wouldn't be sinking into depression and ending up in a cycle of long term unemployment. Not only that but it affects the NHS too. The government lose money from all angles and create a strain on their own resources from treating human beings like statistics.

All in all, the government creates problems for themselves all round by the way they treat claimants. Part of me regards them as heartless and uncaring but I think mostly they are just completely incompetent and clueless. None of the 'advisers' that I ever had dealings with were helpful at all, in fact they were seemingly trying to instigate disagreements (if they get a disagreement they can get you sanctioned so it makes sense) and incredibly patronizing. They didn't even know (not one of the many advisers I spoke to) that a graduate cannot do an apprenticeship (I was constantly referred to apprenticeships) when that should be basic knowledge as part of their role. They always spoke to me about basic courses in Maths and English, CV workshops etc even though they should have known I had qualifications beyond basic Maths/English and had my CV written with my uni careers adviser and had different versions. I just nodded along and signed the papers and ignored them overall because they were useless. The only thing they care about is sanctioning people - it's so obvious to see when you've been in the system.

You are completely correct. There is a general opinion throughout the government that the people on the sick are the scum of the earth and without two brain cells to rub together. It's the same throughout the NHS too. When I've been for checkups etc I will always try and make talk with the staff their. When I get onto the subject of aiming for university to tick a box on my lifes to-do list, I'm automatically looked at with that look of "yeah right thicko". Automatically judged for being sick and placed within a box of people that are more than happy doing nothing and receiving money in their accounts. Ive not been in the same position as you with regards to courses etc but I would hazard a guess that if I had to walk into a job centre in the future, which I doubt I will, they would look me up and down, hear me speak and then try offering up preschool maths and English courses even though I get by in more languages than she's probably even heard before. "you have been on the sick! You are stupid! "

PS didn't want to mention CV courses! I think you already know I don't agree with CVs lol
(edited 8 years ago)

Erm. We all have to remember one thing here. That there is no such thing as free money. No such thing as gov. Money. I pay for it. People like ME pay for these people. My hard earend moeny. My taxes pay for it. Currently the benefit cap is only at 20,000. It should be much much lower.Why should i pay for people to have luxories such as computers, xboxes and holidays ect. I cant afford to go on holiday when i want. Who should i pay for other people. When im working my butt of 5 days a week! No one ever thinks of the working man these days!!

And thats whats wrong with society. Sorry for my spelling im on a phone on my lunch brake weridly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GeorgeBush1010
Erm. We all have to remember one thing here. That there is no such thing as free money. No such thing as gov. Money. I pay for it. People like ME pay for these people. My hard earend moeny. My taxes pay for it. Currently the benefit cap is only at 20,000. It should be much much lower.Why should i pay for people to have luxories such as computers, xboxes and holidays ect. I cant afford to go on holiday when i want. Who should i pay for other people. When im working my butt of 5 days a week! No one ever thinks of the working man these days!!

And thats whats wrong with society. Sorry for my spelling im on a phone on my lunch brake weridly.

What on earth has that opinion got to do with my post about people being unfairly sanctioned and people with mental health issues being treated badly by the DWP?

Guess what? I work too and have worked since I was teenager throughout college/uni and since graduating. I have also experienced unemployment after I was made redundant. I've seen bother sides. I do not mind my taxes going towards supporting people who are unfortunate enough to be made unemployed or suffer a debilitating illness that prevents them from working. Of course I'm not happy for my taxes - or anyone else's - to be going towards funding the lifestyles of lazy people who have no intention of working. That's obvious - I would think that everyone agrees on that, who in their right mind would be happy for their money to be given to people who are capable of working but who just can't be bothered? But we were not discussing that and you comment is just a knee jerk reaction and a load of verbal diarrhea.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending