The Student Room Group

How do you apply for tutoring jobs and what are they like?

Like the title says, I'm thinking of tutoring part time whilst I'm at uni but I have no idea what this involves or how to even go about getting a job. I'm aiming for tutoring A-level students and below.

Anybody have any experience of tutoring whilst at uni?
I'm surprised there's not been any replies about this:s-smilie: Frankly i'm quite interested in tutoring as well:smile: I intend on teaching as a career so tutoring should be helpful:smile:
Reply 2
Contact local agencies which offer this service.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Local agencies are always an option and you could apply to a few (make a Google search 'subject' tutor 'city' and many agencies will show up) However, most agencies take a very high commission and the only thing they do is email potential student details to the list of tutors they have, then give the job to whoever replies first.
I suggest you create profiles on these websites:
The Tutor Pages
Tutorhunt
First Tutors
Personal Tutors
Tutorfair
The first one requires a yearly fee, then allows students to get in touch with you directly.
The next two are free to make profiles on, but the student needs to purchase your contact details after you talk through their systems.
Personal Tutors lets students contact you directly, but you are supposed to pay back a commission on whatever lessons you do afterwards (it's lower than traditional agencies)
The last one collects payments on your behalf and pays you later so it's like an agency in that sense. However, students can message you through your profile and book you directly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest