The Student Room Group

Self teach an Alevel?

Anybody know where the best place is too self teach yourself or find material?
I am deferring a year at university and I want to keep my brain active and felt interested enough in an Accounting A-level to do so.
I have already gotten accepted into university (actually deferred my second year) so the A-Level is not necessary for me to further my career. It is just something I am interested in and something I can focus on for a year 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
read the syllabus. Then look for relevant material from there
Reply 2
Thank-you.
Do you think it is easy to do so?
Thinking of self teaching further maths also 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kendellex

Do you think it is easy to do so?
Thinking of self teaching further maths also 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't say it is easy but also teachers aren't of much help anyway. It depends on you towards the end of the year and the hard work you put in. So be ready for it!
I'd say for FM you may need a teacher. There are really good resources for FM here uploaded by TeeEm.

:smile:
Reply 4
I am deferring a year at university and I want to keep my brain active and felt interested enough in an Accounting A-level to do so.
I have already gotten accepted into university (actually deferred my second year) so the A-Level is not necessary for me to further my career. It is just something I am interested in and something I can focus on for a year 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Self taught myself A levels this year xD best thing is stay focused and discipline yourself to make a certain amount of progress over a week say, and reward yourself if you meet it, but don't be too hard on yourself if you miss it too just try your best :smile: good luck!
For edexcel I would advice you to work through all the problems(exercise) and then do the review exercise at least twice then move on to the past paper.
Reply 6
Original post by SourLikeLemon
I wouldn't say it is easy but also teachers aren't of much help anyway. It depends on you towards the end of the year and the hard work you put in. So be ready for it!
I'd say for FM you may need a teacher. There are really good resources for FM here uploaded by TeeEm.

:smile:

Thank-you! I'll look the resources up!
Are online resources (YouTube forgotten their names 😂) useful?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by JBlad
Self taught myself A levels this year xD best thing is stay focused and discipline yourself to make a certain amount of progress over a week say, and reward yourself if you meet it, but don't be too hard on yourself if you miss it too just try your best :smile: good luck!

I'm very organised and have been very disciplined this year (missed most of my lectures due to illness so had to self teach a lot). At least it's doable to teach yourself! Did you ask anybody who was more qualified in your subjects for help/advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Duke Glacia
For edexcel I would advice you to work through all the problems(exercise) and then do the review exercise at least twice then move on to the past paper.

I studied with edexcel for maths so I'm fairly confident with their textbooks. But thank-you for the tips!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I'm very organised and have been very disciplined this year (missed most of my lectures due to illness so had to self teach a lot). At least it's doable to teach yourself! Did you ask anybody who was more qualified in your subjects for help/advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I had pretty bad depression and social anxiety which didn't help study so you should be fine :biggrin: ahh yes I did I stayed with some family friends who were mathematicians and they helped me, but then*I did bio and chemistry on my own so its possible :smile: at least you've had experience of self teaching, though I'm sorry to hear about your illness :frown:
Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

GetRevising and TES are a huge help for resources. You could also type in a topic name with 'pdf' after it to find additional resorces.
Reply 11
Original post by JBlad
Well I had pretty bad depression and social anxiety which didn't help study so you should be fine :biggrin: ahh yes I did I stayed with some family friends who were mathematicians and they helped me, but then*I did bio and chemistry on my own so its possible :smile: at least you've had experience of self teaching, though I'm sorry to hear about your illness :frown:

That must have been so tough! But at least you got through it and now have your qualifications! Chemistry must have been so hard to self teach.
My illness wasn't that serious (I don't think) I just ended up in hospital a lot and I couldn't function on the medications. I'm hoping my old school teachers will be helpful 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
That must have been so tough! But at least you got through it and now have your qualifications! Chemistry must have been so hard to self teach.
My illness wasn't that serious (I don't think) I just ended up in hospital a lot and I couldn't function on the medications. I'm hoping my old school teachers will be helpful 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I got through it :smile: but a C in Chemistry says it all :/
Your teachers should help you out loads I would hope I don't see why they wouldn't, I hope your all well now!

Quick Reply

Latest