The Student Room Group

Does the average employer know what unis are in the Russell group?

Poll

Can employers accurately name every Russell group uni?

Do you think your average graduate employer could tell you how highly a random university ranks? Or could they accurately name every Russell group uni?

Just wondering.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Keyhofi
Do you think your average employer could tell you how highly a random university ranks? Or could they accurately name every Russell group uni?

Just wondering.

Depends if the employer is your local corner shop or JP Morgan Chase & Co.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Depends if the employer is your local corner shop or JP Morgan Chase & Co.

In the context of graduate employers. Edited OP to clear it up.
Original post by Keyhofi
Do you think your average graduate employer could tell you how highly a random university ranks? Or could they accurately name every Russell group uni?

Just wondering.

No, but they are probably capable of googling the university you went to.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
No, but they are probably capable of googling the university you went to.

Do you think an empoyer who maybe shortlists 50 graduates for interview will google every single one of their universities? Is this a productive use of their time?
Original post by Keyhofi
Do you think an empoyer who maybe shortlists 50 graduates for interview will google every single one of their universities? Is this a productive use of their time?

If it were me, I would google the list of top universities once and print this out to have near me while I l look at the candidate's universities.
Original post by Keyhofi
In the context of graduate employers. Edited OP to clear it up.

Sorry, that was really pedantic of me.

I would imagine that a lot the people doing the hiring were once students themselves and as most, if not all, students these days are aware of the RG university rankings it's safe to assume that they are too.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think many of the RG purists on TSR could list all the RG unis. Some are pretty random universities. I think most people could, if you gave them a list of unis, identify the good ones (maybe because a friend went there or they have heard the particular unis being discussed in good light). Employers are humans and do very much the same thing.
If it were me, I would google the list of top universities once and print this out to have near me while I l look at the candidate's universities.

Interesting. But it is likely your candiates are applying from a range of degrees - for example if you are an accountancy firm - so you would need a separate list of university ranking for each subject. Rankings are also based on a lot of factors that do not directly relate to the quality of teaching, for example the quality of research at the uni or student satisfaction. These factors make rankings less reliable. Also, a skilled graduate from a mid-rank university can be better than a good student from a top university. Rankings also do not show you how well the graduate will fit into your company.
Original post by Keyhofi
Interesting. But it is likely your candiates are applying from a range of degrees - for example if you are an accountancy firm - so you would need a separate list of university ranking for each subject. Rankings are also based on a lot of factors that do not directly relate to the quality of teaching, for example the quality of research at the uni or student satisfaction. These factors make rankings less reliable. Also, a skilled graduate from a mid-rank university can be better than a good student from a top university. Rankings also do not show you how well the graduate will fit into your company.

Ok, well if you are wondering if an employer will know off the top of his head the rankings of each university for each individual subject, the answer is almost certainly no.
Since most universities drift around on the rankings over time, the 'good' universities employers grew up with when they went to uni 10-30 years ago may not be the same as the good universities these days.
Absolutely not. They'll probably just know Oxbridge, several of the older universities plus wherever they went to university.

I doubt most people could list all RG universities.
Depends on the size of the company and the interaction between the HR dept and the department/line manager who has requested the post be advertised.

HR is a professional dept in most big companies and they concentrate on ensuring that the advert is written in such a way to be "legal" and take care of the admin of recruitment.

They pass the applications on to the actual department who may circulate the forms amongst other colleagues all of whom may make comments to form a shortlist for interview. So if a non RG uni has a good course, or an RG has a bad course, it may be better known by that dept.

Are you going to print out the rankings every single year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, someone suggested 50 candidates for interview?

In my experience, for one specific post, more likely 6-8 for interview.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Are you going to print out the rankings every single year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Na mate, only every 2 years. Year to year the changes are usually quite small and therefore the changes can simply be annotated on the existing doc.
Original post by domonict
Also, someone suggested 50 candidates for interview?

In my experience, for one specific post, more likely 6-8 for interview.

Hmm? I've seen positions where there have been hundreds of interviewed candidates.

I guess it all really depends on the competition for the job.
Na mate, only every 2 years. Year to year the changes are usually quite small and therefore the changes can simply be annotated on the existing doc.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, pretty much no-one has the time or need to do that. As long as it's not 'the University of the New Age' or 'Internet Correspondence College of Nigeria' or something then most companies will be satisfied with University of insert-name-of-British-city-here.
Original post by Keyhofi
I've seen positions where there have been hundreds of interviewed candidates.

Really? Hundreds of people were interviewed for a single job? Care to name the position/company?
Original post by Duncan2012
Meanwhile, back in the real world, pretty much no-one has the time or need to do that. As long as it's not 'the University of the New Age' or 'Internet Correspondence College of Nigeria' or something then most companies will be satisfied with University of insert-name-of-British-city-here.

Are you serious? It takes literally 3 seconds to find the ranking list. If someone can't find the time to invest this extra 3 seconds a year into finding the right candidates then they have serious time management issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending