The Student Room Group

Do extra-curricular activities matter?

Are extra-curricular activities seen as a strength in a medical school application?
Original post by slothgenius
Are extra-curricular activities seen as a strength in a medical school application?

Yep, they want to see what you enjoy doing in your spare time, and more importantly, why you think it's important to have a way of blowing off steam.
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
Yep, they want to see what you enjoy doing in your spare time, and more importantly, why you think it's important to have a way of blowing off steam.

Do they usually favour some activities more than others?e.g. Sports to music?
Reply 3
Medicine is one of the most competitive courses in the world so you will valuable extra-curricular activities under your belt. For most universities it just shows that you're not a book-worm and that you can actually talk to other people. If you only have your grades you won't develop the skills you need for medicine or even just Uni in general such as communication, problem solving, time-keeping and much more. DEFINITELY get work experience in a hospital or else uni's wont even consider you as a medical student.
Do they usually favour some activities more than others?e.g. Sports to music?

No, just be yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by Democracy
No, just be yourself.

Ok thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by Saya k
Medicine is one of the most competitive courses in the world so you will valuable extra-curricular activities under your belt. For most universities it just shows that you're not a book-worm and that you can actually talk to other people. If you only have your grades you won't develop the skills you need for medicine or even just Uni in general such as communication, problem solving, time-keeping and much more. DEFINITELY get work experience in a hospital or else uni's wont even consider you as a medical student.

Will I need extra-curricular activities aside from work experience?
Reply 7
Yes definitely, especially as it's such a competitive subject. Things like sports, clubs etc. look good, something like volunteering experience would really make you stand out if you can find a way to do this. Even if you don't end up doing medicine, this experience will be useful, as not having experience these days can hold you back from a lot of career paths.
Reply 8
Will I need extra-curricular activities aside from work experience?

Because it's such a competitive subject, I would say yes.
Reply 9
Original post by abc:)
Yes definitely, especially as it's such a competitive subject. Things like sports, clubs etc. look good, something like volunteering experience would really make you stand out if you can find a way to do this. Even if you don't end up doing medicine, this experience will be useful, as not having experience these days can hold you back from a lot of career paths.

Original post by Saya k
Because it's such a competitive subject, I would say yes.

Thanks everyone!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending