The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Swapping course at Warwick

Hi guys,

I am due to start the 3 year Law course at Warwick in October, however I feel that given my scientific A levels ( maths, bio, chem, phy) I may have trouble with the course. I am interested in possibly swapping to the economics course and just wanted to ask if anybody has done the same or knows if there is a way that I could do this. My A levels are A*AAB (biomathchemphy)
What's changed since you submitted your UCAS application? I don't think that your science A-levels will be a disadvantage. Very few law students will ever have studied any law before and so you will not be behind in terms of content knowledge. You will have to learn to argue and write essays but this will be a new skill for most students as A-level history/sociology/etc aren't great preparation for undergraduate writing anyway.

Once you are at Warwick there might be a means of transferring courses on welfare grounds through the Senior Tutor's office but this isn't ideal and it's likely that you would end up having to start again as law/economics modules probably aren't interchangeable.

If you feel really strongly about having picked the wrong course then I would call economics and ask to speak with someone there in confidence. It's possible they will be full or won't want to offer you a place for some other reason... If they have space and are interested then you can approach the law school. If not, you need to decide whether you feel strongly enough to turn down the law offer and apply for economics next year instead. If you are certain that law is wrong for you then don't compound your mistake by starting the course. Your grades are strong enough that you can afford to be a little bit cavalier and choose what is right for you.

The bottom line is that, while you might upset the law admissions team, it's difficult to see that they could retract your offer just because you are making these sorts of enquiries. Make them soon, though !!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by natsciballer
Hi guys,

I am due to start the 3 year Law course at Warwick in October, however I feel that given my scientific A levels ( maths, bio, chem, phy) I may have trouble with the course. I am interested in possibly swapping to the economics course and just wanted to ask if anybody has done the same or knows if there is a way that I could do this. My A levels are A*AAB (biomathchemphy)

I was thinking of switching from History to Law at Warwick but I have decided ATM to stay with History
Reply 3
Why didnt you do a science degree instead?
Original post by rkhan34
Why didnt you do a science degree instead?

I just felt that after 2 years of only science (a levels) there was no single one I felt like I wanted to study for three/four years at degree level and engineering didn't interest me either. I've struggled loads trying to find out what degree I wanted to do but nothing ever really attracted me in the scientific field. I wanted to apply to econ courses at the start of year 13 but I was very naive and didn'nt know much about how unis chose their candidates and so I felt the fact I didn't do econ a level would put me at a huge disadvantage. Tbh with you, the A*A*AA predictions with an avg of 90% in the top 3 that I had when applying would have easily gotten me into a top uni for econ but I just didn't think it would at the time.
Original post by MonteCristo
What's changed since you submitted your UCAS application? I don't think that your science A-levels will be a disadvantage. Very few law students will ever have studied any law before and so you will not be behind in terms of content knowledge. You will have to learn to argue and write essays but this will be a new skill for most students as A-level history/sociology/etc aren't great preparation for undergraduate writing anyway.

Once you are at Warwick there might be a means of transferring courses on welfare grounds through the Senior Tutor's office but this isn't ideal and it's likely that you would end up having to start again as law/economics modules probably aren't interchangeable.

If you feel really strongly about having picked the wrong course then I would call economics and ask to speak with someone there in confidence. It's possible they will be full or won't want to offer you a place for some other reason... If they have space and are interested then you can approach the law school. If not, you need to decide whether you feel strongly enough to turn down the law offer and apply for economics next year instead. If you are certain that law is wrong for you then don't compound your mistake by starting the course. Your grades are strong enough that you can afford to be a little bit cavalier and choose what is right for you.

The bottom line is that, while you might upset the law admissions team, it's difficult to see that they could retract your offer just because you are making these sorts of enquiries. Make them soon, though !!

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will continue with the law degree if they don't let me change to economics as I'm sure I will still enjoy it once i'm there and underway. I will definitely follow your advice and contact the econ department. Thanks again!
Original post by Magnus Taylor
I was thinking of switching from History to Law at Warwick but I have decided ATM to stay with History
If you find anybody that would like to swap from econ to history and your still up for changing let me know and we could all do a big swap :smile:
Reply 7
I just felt that after 2 years of only science (a levels) there was no single one I felt like I wanted to study for three/four years at degree level and engineering didn't interest me either. I've struggled loads trying to find out what degree I wanted to do but nothing ever really attracted me in the scientific field. I wanted to apply to econ courses at the start of year 13 but I was very naive and didn'nt know much about how unis chose their candidates and so I felt the fact I didn't do econ a level would put me at a huge disadvantage. Tbh with you, the A*A*AA predictions with an avg of 90% in the top 3 that I had when applying would have easily gotten me into a top uni for econ but I just didn't think it would at the time.

But how are you sure you will enjoy economics later? what if you endup disliking it aswell
Original post by rkhan34
But how are you sure you will enjoy economics later? what if you endup disliking it aswell
I anyone ever sure about anything. I spend a lot of time reading and watching the news regarding the financial world and enjoy maths but would like to study a subject that is more abstract than a natural science. Naturally I feel economics fits this profile.
If you find anybody that would like to swap from econ to history and your still up for changing let me know and we could all do a big swap :smile:

I'd be tempted ngl
Reply 10
I wanted to change courses into PAIS and they said as long as I had the standard entry requirements for the chosen course it was fine otherwise I needed a 2:1 average at the end of my first year which would allow me to transfer to any degree programme. I'm not too sure if this applies to every department but hope it could be of some help or guidance. There's also a YouTube video of a girl at warwick who went from Discrete Maths to PPE so yeah changing course is definitely possible :smile:
Original post by Age
I wanted to change courses into PAIS and they said as long as I had the standard entry requirements for the chosen course it was fine otherwise I needed a 2:1 average at the end of my first year which would allow me to transfer to any degree programme. I'm not too sure if this applies to every department but hope it could be of some help or guidance. There's also a YouTube video of a girl at warwick who went from Discrete Maths to PPE so yeah changing course is definitely possible :smile:

I also saw this video, I was under the impression most would be required to start again from year one?
Reply 12
Original post by jelly1995
I also saw this video, I was under the impression most would be required to start again from year one?

Only if you failed that year or the course is oversubscribed :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending