The Student Room Group

Job titles - do they play a role in your job selection process?

Assuming you're a graduate or someone who has some working experience; do you carefully look at the job title when applying for a job that's relevant to your field?

Say for example you're an accountant who has been working for 2-5 years; say for example you're given an offer from this new company, who's giving 10-20% more than your current pay, but your job title is somehow reduced to "Jr. Accountant" (your current title is just "Accountant"); why? well, let's just say that's how the new company designates their new accountants.

Mind however your job role/scope now is probably the same or probably higher than before; would you accept such role? Would you think it might cause a hindrance to your future job hunt?
Original post by kka25

Why does it matter? It's an internal company designation, you can still call yourself an accountant outside that context.

McDonalds call their staff Crew Members, you wouldn't use that term in a CV though, because it has no real meaning outside that company.
Yes. On application forms they ask for the job title. I don't think you can just make one up - the explanation can only be done in the descriptions.
Reply 3
Original post by J-SP
It depends on the sector and the job title.

But it can do. I've known people to negotiate their job title in their contract so that legally it says one thing, but internally it is seen as something that fits in to the internal job structures/titles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Little Toy Gun
Yes. On application forms they ask for the job title. I don't think you can just make one up - the explanation can only be done in the descriptions.

Would you try to negotiate the title if you find them to be less than effective for your future job prospects?
Original post by kka25
Would you try to negotiate the title if you find them to be less than effective for your future job prospects?

No not really. There are more jobs in the world than the number I'd bother to apply to.
Reply 5
Original post by J-SP
It's rare for anyone to have to negotiate their job title up - people just don't apply to jobs if they think they are too junior or if they think it will harm their future job prospects.

However terminology means that sometimes it makes sense to do it. For instance, I had the word "trainee" at the start of one of my job titles. It made it sound like I was a trainee when actually I had responsibility for trainees. I negotiated my job title on my employment contract so it was slightly different, although I knew internally it would start with "trainee".

Job titles that are inflated are more likely to do damage than those that are seen as less "experienced". An "Assistant Director" job title in a small organisation can often equate to an "administrator" in a large organisation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd change the job title as well if it has the word "trainee" in front it. Did the employer have any problems with the request to change the title?

I can see that as well; I got the title "lead" at the start of my job title recently and I'm a bit worried that future employers may either expect highly of me or just reject me because I'm overqualified for their position.
Original post by kka25
Assuming you're a graduate or someone who has some working experience; do you carefully look at the job title when applying for a job that's relevant to your field?

Say for example you're an accountant who has been working for 2-5 years; say for example you're given an offer from this new company, who's giving 10-20% more than your current pay, but your job title is somehow reduced to "Jr. Accountant" (your current title is just "Accountant":wink:; why? well, let's just say that's how the new company designates their new accountants.

Mind however your job role/scope now is probably the same or probably higher than before; would you accept such role? Would you think it might cause a hindrance to your future job hunt?

No I don't care about it. I only care about the work I'd be doing and the cash I'd be receiving.

If I applied for a different job in the future, I would just say I was an accountant, not a jnr accountant for example.
Original post by J-SP
But it could be an issue if you get an employment reference where your job title doesn't match up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but then I'm sure you could explain the title to your future employer.

Of course it is ideal to have the correct title, but if all else is in order for the job in terms of work and salary, I'm not going to knock it back based on the title.
Reply 8
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Yes but then I'm sure you could explain the title to your future employer.

Of course it is ideal to have the correct title, but if all else is in order for the job in terms of work and salary, I'm not going to knock it back based on the title.

But before you can explain it to them, they'd need to filter out certain things they don't need based on some criteria; and that might be the title itself?
Original post by kka25
But before you can explain it to them, they'd need to filter out certain things they don't need based on some criteria; and that might be the title itself?

In such an instance there would be no need to list the title on the resume. For example if my title was "jnr accountant" on the resume I could put:

1. Accountant at Firm X for 5 years

If you are questioned later about your referee referring to you as a junior accountant, then you can explain what your role actually involved, but it is unlikely anyone would make a fuss about the difference.

http://www.itworld.com/article/2701391/careers/can-i-change-my-job-title-on-my-resume-.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending