The Student Room Group

Should I revisit the doctor about this?

So this is really embarrassing...and I need advice because I really can't talk to anyone else about this, and I don't just want to go back to the doctor if ill be wasting his time.I really hate going to the doctors, too, because I have really bad anxiety, so it takes a lot for me to get the courage to make a phone call.

For months now I've had this weird white kind of discharge. When I went to the doctors, he told me I had thrush, but now I'm worried that, after all of this time, it's more than that. I had swab tests/blood test, and they were all clean. The only symptoms I have are the discharge, I don't have itchiness. Occasionally, I'll have a weird pain/sensation that I can't describe, but it always goes away. He gave me the cream to treat it, but I had no idea how to apply it, (ha, I know...) so I didn't use it...especially when my only symptom was the discharge, and I didn't want to have all of the side effects. So is this just thrush?Are there other ways to treat it instead of the cream?

I'm not sexually active anymore, so should I just leave this until I am? Will it get worse, or have a bad effect on my health? I honestly don't care about the discharge, I just don't want this to develop into more of a problem...
Is talking to a pharmacist an option? They will know how to use what you've been prescribed, and it is likely to have been prescribed for a reason.

The other 'not a doctor' option is the Practice's nurse.
Original post by Anonymous
So this is really embarrassing...and I need advice because I really can't talk to anyone else about this, and I don't just want to go back to the doctor if ill be wasting his time.I really hate going to the doctors, too, because I have really bad anxiety, so it takes a lot for me to get the courage to make a phone call.

For months now I've had this weird white kind of discharge. When I went to the doctors, he told me I had thrush, but now I'm worried that, after all of this time, it's more than that. I had swab tests/blood test, and they were all clean. The only symptoms I have are the discharge, I don't have itchiness. Occasionally, I'll have a weird pain/sensation that I can't describe, but it always goes away. He gave me the cream to treat it, but I had no idea how to apply it, (ha, I know...) so I didn't use it...especially when my only symptom was the discharge, and I didn't want to have all of the side effects. So is this just thrush?Are there other ways to treat it instead of the cream?

I'm not sexually active anymore, so should I just leave this until I am? Will it get worse, or have a bad effect on my health? I honestly don't care about the discharge, I just don't want this to develop into more of a problem...

You can get a pessery for thrush (itjink it just goes up) and you can get them from the chemist. Tbh id get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by PandaWho
You can get a pessery for thrush (itjink it just goes up) and you can get them from the chemist. Tbh id get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by unprinted
Is talking to a pharmacist an option? They will know how to use what you've been prescribed, and it is likely to have been prescribed for a reason.The other 'not a doctor' option is the Practice's nurse.

The things is actually going to talk to them, lol, since this is such an embarrassing issue, and I have anxiety problems even asking about a cold :frown:

Do you know if there any pills or anything that I'd be able to buy from a supermarket? I'd go to self-service there.
Why don't you google the name of the cream, often their are online booklets for medications which will give you information on application. Try the cream thrush can take a while to completely disappear , as for anxiety preventing you seeing a doctor their are online consultation services which generally charge under £40 I don't know wether this would be any better but it works for my friend who has anxiety as it less confrontational.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by sophielroscoe
Why don't you google the name of the cream, often their are online booklets for medications which will give you information on application. Try the cream thrush can take a while to completely disappear , as for anxiety preventing you seeing a doctor their are online consultation services which generally charge under £40 I don't know wether this would be any better but it works for my friend who has anxiety as it less confrontational.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice, but I have googled it, and I still don't understand how to apply it. I don't really want to apply it wrong and get all of the side effects. I also won't know when the symptoms are gone, since I only get the discharge, not itchiness or anything. I'm so scared of applying the cream wrong, then making everything worse, and actually having to embarrasingly go back to the doctors :frown:
You proberly still have thrush, white discharge alone means thair some issue as discharge should only ever be clear. If you start conservatively with the cream ( once a day with just a dot) it shouldn't cause issues as it's the lowest does a doctor could recommend. I really feel for you, i know lady issues can be embarsing and your anxiety must be intensifying your fears. Do you have a female friend or relative ( maby your mum) you could talk to or go to the doctor with?
Reply 7
Original post by sophielroscoe
You proberly still have thrush, white discharge alone means thair some issue as discharge should only ever be clear. If you start conservatively with the cream ( once a day with just a dot) it shouldn't cause issues as it's the lowest does a doctor could recommend. I really feel for you, i know lady issues can be embarsing and your anxiety must be intensifying your fears. Do you have a female friend or relative ( maby your mum) you could talk to or go to the doctor with?

Lol, I have no one to talk to otherwise I wouldn't have posted here :frown: thanks. I'll have to try it, I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest