The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Should i apply to LSE?

So I want to take Economics (Bsc) at degree level, and at AS I managed AAAA in Maths, Physics, History and English lang, was wondering whether I should apply to LSE despite my two disadvantages for such a competitive uni: not taking Economics and not taking Further Maths (Though I may be taking AS further maths in my A2 year). Help is appreciated.
Reply 1
UMS? (they ask for this)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Mitzy09
UMS? (they ask for this)

Posted from TSR Mobile

A few 100's, and none below 90, is it significant? They were high A's not low luckily.
Reply 3
Original post by spmenz123
A few 100's, and none below 90, is it significant? They were high A's not low luckily.

Definitely apply, with a good PS you should get an offer.
Maybe pick up AS FM this year and just try to really convey your passion for econ in your PS since you don't do it at A-level as some knowledge will be expected of you. :smile:
Btw why didn't you take econ at AS?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
What were your GCSEs like?
Your academic profile is really good so you should definitely apply. You will need a good PS. Don't worry about not having done econ since it is not required however you should consider doing AS further maths.
Original post by Mitzy09
Definitely apply, with a good PS you should get an offer.
Maybe pick up AS FM this year and just try to really convey your passion for econ in your PS since you don't do it at A-level as some knowledge will be expected of you. :smile:
Btw why didn't you take econ at AS?

There is no guarantee that the OP should or would get an offer from LSE. There is no magic formula that you can follow.
Reply 7
Original post by JamjamjamT
There is no guarantee that the OP should or would get an offer from LSE. There is no magic formula that you can follow.

Maybe I should have said is likely to receive an offer. Normally good PS + good academic profile = offer. Things like outperforming your peers and extracurricular activities related to your chosen subject also help imo.
Original post by Mitzy09
Maybe I should have said is likely to receive an offer. Normally good PS + good academic profile = offer. Things like outperforming your peers and extracurricular activities related to your chosen subject also help imo.

No worries. It winds me up no end to see so many people asking the same question over and over and over again - "Will/Can I get into LSE?". None of us on here, even those like you and me who are actually going to start LSE in a couple of weeks, can say who will and will not get an offer. I chatted with loads of people in the 2015 LSE entry thread who had great grades, great academic profiles, excellent extra curricular activities and what they considered to be a good to strong PS but did not get LSE offers. Some had offers from other great Unis but not LSE.
No worries. It winds me up no end to see so many people asking the same question over and over and over again - "Will/Can I get into LSE?". None of us on here, even those like you and me who are actually going to start LSE in a couple of weeks, can say who will and will not get an offer. I chatted with loads of people in the 2015 LSE entry thread who had great grades, great academic profiles, excellent extra curricular activities and what they considered to be a good to strong PS but did not get LSE offers. Some had offers from other great Unis but not LSE.

That is true!I got an offer from Warwick for Economics last year and most of the people had 4 A's whereas I had 3 B's and an A
Reply 10

Point taken, that's very true actually. LSE can be very unpredictable and I've seen that aswell.
Original post by Mitzy09
Point taken, that's very true actually. LSE can be very unpredictable and I've seen that aswell.

Only LSE know what they want from their students. We are two of the lucky ones but so many on here were not so lucky.

The only advice I give to prospective applicants is to work really hard to achieve the best possible grades; do as much research on LSE as you can (the LSE website is a great place to find things out); go to one of the LSE Open Days and try to attend something like the Student Shadowing at LSE. Your PS must be uniquely individual that shows who you are and what you are all about.
Hello everyone, I am a undergra student planning to apply for a postgraduate school. I think three of the lecturers are willing to write reference for me, who are my temporary personal tutor, my dissertation tutor and a teaching fellow who will be working in Oxbridge in November. Most unis normally require two references. My temporary personal tutor was my lecturer one year ago, and he just became my personal tutor since the original personal tutor went away to some other country. My dissertation is a senior lecturer. The teaching fellow is very nice and he will not be working in Oxbridge till October or November. Who should I ask reference for?Would be much appreciated if you could provide any hints.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending