The Student Room Group

Can I still get into medicine?

Hey guys, my name is kacey and I am from Manchester. I scored 7A* and 3A from a very very low performing school. My first year at AS went absolutely horrible and I got BCEE but I moved schools and resat year 12. I went on to get AAAAB this year. Will I still be able to apply for medicine at a competitive university? I have scored 3214 in my UKCAT after hourssss of revision. Will universities like imperial or kings still consider me if I do well in BMAT?
Reply 1
Anyone?
I don't think many medical schools accept a resit of a whole year.

However, your grades are good. Just look for universities that accept 3 years for a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes you can.

Some Unis allow resitting years with no penalties : exeter, plymouth, UEA, lancaster. Because you got to a poor school, I HIGHLY recommend looking at St georges + KCL (both have criteria for those of lower schools),
As far as I am aware, most universities do not accept candidates who studies A-levels over a period longer than 2 years. You would have to look into it.
Reply 5
Original post by KatieAlicexxx
I don't think many medical schools accept a resit of a whole year.

However, your grades are good. Just look for universities that accept 3 years for a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will I be able to get away with not putting down the resit year on ucas?
Original post by Kaceytronix
Will I be able to get away with not putting down the resit year on ucas?

No. You have to sign a little declaration when applying through UCAS that says that all the information you have provided is true and that universities may disqualify you if it is found that you have withheld or 'forgot to put down' any information.

There are plenty of medical schools that consider resit applicants. I highly recommend Exeter, who accept resit applicants with no bias at all - they would treat your application the same as the applications of people who've completed their A-levels in two years. Also, your UKCAT score is amazing! You are almost guaranteed to meet the cut-off for interview at Exeter as most people score much lower than you. What were your individual scores in each sub-test?

Have a look here if you're interested: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies.

Although bear in mind that you should check the websites of medical schools you're thinking of applying to before applying as some of that information may be out of date. :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by Kaceytronix
Hey guys, my name is kacey and I am from Manchester. I scored 7A* and 3A from a very very low performing school. My first year at AS went absolutely horrible and I got BCEE but I moved schools and resat year 12. I went on to get AAAAB this year. Will I still be able to apply for medicine at a competitive university? I have scored 3214 in my UKCAT after hourssss of revision. Will universities like imperial or kings still consider me if I do well in BMAT?

Just wondering what school/ college did you go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending