The Student Room Group

is it even worth applying to uni?

so, i got grades BDEE at as level. horrible grades i know. i got 2 A*s, 5 As and 4 Bs at GCSE. spoken to my sixth form and they've agreed to let me retake one module of AS philosophy (E), one module of AS economics (D) and one module of AS english lit (B). i had a really rough time at home over the last year and the social services had to get involved etc hence the massive drop in grades since GCSEs. my philosophy teacher told me that there is no point even going through the UCAS process or applying to anywhere this year as i will definitely get rejected with my AS grades, regardless of how well i may do with the retakes. i know this sounds stuck up, but i've always wanted to go to a good ish uni (top 30) and so my question is, is it worth applying and trying to get high predicted grades, or is there literally no point? would it be better to take a year out (i'm sort of scared of being older than everyone else)? i have no idea what i'm doing or how anything works aside from the fact that i still have potential to do a bit better at a2. anyone who's managed to get through this essay, i would welcome any advice as i'm freaking out a bit right now!
I am going to be blunt here, so sorry about this...

Unis will not look at those grades UNLESS you apply for a foundation programme and progress onto a course through that. Most uni courses ask for a minimum of 260 points and you have achieved 240 UCAS points if you get the same grades at A2.

Although, I can tell you most unis in the top 30 will ask for AT LEAST 300/320.

So, I would STRONGLY recommend retaking your year 12 and trying again. As you can tell, A levels are A LOT harder than GCSE and to be honest are the hardest things I have ever done and am about to progress onto my second year doing Biomedical Science.
Reply 2
Original post by Scienceisgood
I am going to be blunt here, so sorry about this...

Unis will not look at those grades UNLESS you apply for a foundation programme and progress onto a course through that. Most uni courses ask for a minimum of 260 points and you have achieved 240 UCAS points if you get the same grades at A2.

Although, I can tell you most unis in the top 30 will ask for AT LEAST 300/320.

So, I would STRONGLY recommend retaking your year 12 and trying again. As you can tell, A levels are A LOT harder than GCSE and to be honest are the hardest things I have ever done and am about to progress onto my second year doing Biomedical Science.

thanks so much for your honesty! do you that *theoretically* if i got grades like AAB, which i know is completely out of the question as a jump like that would be hard even with retakes, but if that happened would it be worth applying through clearing to any courses? or would that not work, ie what would happen if i managed to get really good grades this year?
Original post by ionaisgroovy
thanks so much for your honesty! do you that *theoretically* if i got grades like AAB, which i know is completely out of the question as a jump like that would be hard even with retakes, but if that happened would it be worth applying through clearing to any courses? or would that not work, ie what would happen if i managed to get really good grades this year?

What degree do you want to do?
Reply 4
Original post by Scienceisgood
What degree do you want to do?

economics and philosophy if I can, got the B in economics and D in philosophy

Is that a degree in either or a combined degree?

Either way, see if you can get into any unis on UCAS through the links below and if it would be better for you to retake year 12 (most likely option) and perhaps take 3 As grades and see if you can continue the B grade to A2 at the same time?

List of economics unis:

http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?CountryCode=1&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2016&Query=economics&Location=england&Page=1&flt3=1

List of philosophy unis:

http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?CountryCode=1&RegionCode=&Lat=&Lng=&Feather=&flt3=1&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2016&Query=philosophy&ProviderQuery=&AcpId=&Location=england&SubjectCode=
so, i got grades BDEE at as level. horrible grades i know. i got 2 A*s, 5 As and 4 Bs at GCSE. spoken to my sixth form and they've agreed to let me retake one module of AS philosophy (E), one module of AS economics (D) and one module of AS english lit (B). i had a really rough time at home over the last year and the social services had to get involved etc hence the massive drop in grades since GCSEs. my philosophy teacher told me that there is no point even going through the UCAS process or applying to anywhere this year as i will definitely get rejected with my AS grades, regardless of how well i may do with the retakes. i know this sounds stuck up, but i've always wanted to go to a good ish uni (top 30) and so my question is, is it worth applying and trying to get high predicted grades, or is there literally no point? would it be better to take a year out (i'm sort of scared of being older than everyone else)? i have no idea what i'm doing or how anything works aside from the fact that i still have potential to do a bit better at a2. anyone who's managed to get through this essay, i would welcome any advice as i'm freaking out a bit right now!

For me re-sitting year 12 was definitely the best decision. I was in your situation last year (ADUU) and i turned it round to straight As at AS this year. Don't worry about being at a disadvantage when applying to top 30 universities if you re-sit the year. When I emailed Nottingham, Birmingham & York they all said re-sitting year 12 would not be held against me when applying, as long as it I get the A Level requirements within 3 years (for economics). I can imagine they will be even more lenient with you considering your circumstances.

Btw don't worry about being older than everyone else, there are loads of people who have taken gap years, and re-sitting a year is quite common

Quick Reply

Latest