The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do women feel the need to sexualise themselves in public?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
It is not narrow minded, and do not give that women have the right wear anything argument.

As a woman you have extra responsibility to take extra caution in how you present yourself to the world.
You wouldn't view it as sexaul but the other women would if they saw a topless guy with a gym body walking down the street.

And finally I would say that women are more judgemental towards each other.

As a woman, I have just as much responsibility as a man does.

I wouldn't agree with that as such. A man walking down a street topless is not something that would bring so much attention to anyone really, or be seen as sexual, as it is quite a normal thing, it happens often. But as soon as a woman does so much as wear a crop top or short shorts, it seems cause massive controversy as we are expected to 'show more respect for ourselves'.

Women obviously don't seem to have the same rights as men in these situations, because threads like these would not be appearing, women could wear what they wanted, and our bodies would not be sexualised. In my sixth form, girls cannot wear crop tops, shorter shorts or even tank tops because they're "inappropriate" and "distracting". We get told off for cleavage, which we cannot help - it's our anatomy. And never have I heard of a boy being sent home or asked to change/cover up because his top was too low.

I also believe men are more judgemental than other women. It's constantly, "why do you dress like that? Why do you wear so much makeup? Boys don't find it attractive". I hear that much more than I hear other girls bitching about each other.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by amyanne98

I wouldn't agree with that as such. A man walking down a street topless is not something that would bring so much attention to anyone really, or be seen as sexual, as it is quite a normal thing, it happens often. But as soon as a woman does so much as wear a crop top or short shorts, it seems cause massive controversy as we are expected to 'show more respect for ourselves'.

Women obviously don't seem to have the same rights as men in these situations, because threads like these would not be appearing, women could wear what they wanted, and our bodies would not be sexualised. I also believe men are more judgemental than other women. It's constantly, "why do you dress like that? Why do you wear so much makeup? Boys don't find it attractive". I hear that much more than I hear other girls bitching about each other.

So true....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have noticed from a recent observation around London, and it got me thinking why?Why do women do it?
Women of different age groups that think it is attractive to wear as little as possible, and it is not sexy.

Because they are insecure and crave attention. Sadly they have nothing else to give (they have no personality, hobbies etc), so they let it all hang out.

Original post by ToottiFruti
It is attractive for men and thats what they want. Maybe you're not that type of person

According to whom?
And no, it is 99% of the time for other women and to mask their insecurities. When was the last time a guy cared what handbag a women wore or if her shoes matched her clothes? And when did any guy above the age of 18 enjoy women who are trying to compete with hookers with their looks?

Original post by justmoll
Or maybe..they just want to wear whatever they want and then "observers" like you categorise every woman to be the same? Did it not enter your head that a massive portion of the people you saw could be in a relationship already and have no plans on impressing anyone (excluding their partner). Or the possibility that a big group of the people you saw could might well be asexual? Maybe youre in the wrong here, its your mind that is linking their clothing and sex together.

Stop with the absurd liberal drivel. Lets not pretend that any of these women OP is talking about are able to read and think above Jeremy Kyle levels, let alone do what you suggest.

And here are the holes in what you said; if they are in a relationship then why are they dressing to attract someone? Last time I checked, most women find such clothes uncomfortable and cold...unless you are saying they are all masochists which would be a huge problem in itself.

Original post by amyanne98

Women obviously don't seem to have the same rights as men in these situations, because threads like these would not be appearing, women could wear what they wanted, and our bodies would not be sexualised. In my sixth form, girls cannot wear crop tops, shorter shorts or even tank tops because they're "inappropriate" and "distracting". We get told off for cleavage, which we cannot help - it's our anatomy. And never have I heard of a boy being sent home or asked to change/cover up because his top was too low.

I also believe men are more judgemental than other women. It's constantly, "why do you dress like that? Why do you wear so much makeup? Boys don't find it attractive". I hear that much more than I hear other girls bitching about each other.

What silly rubbish.
Firstly, women have breasts which are sexual so learn some biology and realise that men and women differ :eek: Apparently this is a fact people are seeming to forget nowadays due to liberal garbage masking reality.

A guy taking off his top implies the same as a women wearing a crop top etc as it shows off a lot. Sure, there are practical elements when it is hot, but this is the UK. Guys wearing short shorts would also be sexual, just like guys wearing super skintight leather trousers vacuum-packing their twig and giggle berries.

Or most men nowadays have retained some standards and wouldn't want to introduce some skank to their folks. Hell, why would I want some tramp to be the mother of my kids? So stop blaming others for telling you to have some dignity. The fault is with you, not us.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 63
I have noticed from a recent observation around London, and it got me thinking why?Why do women do it?
Women of different age groups that think it is attractive to wear as little as possible, and it is not sexy.

I completely agree. It is quite shameful and not pleasant or classy. It is attractive for sexual purposes, but that is all they become, a piece of meat.

Original post by I WILL OPEN YOU
they scream 'men are sexualising us' but they are sexualising themselves

It is both, tbh.
(edited 8 years ago)
Some of the responses on this thread are completely out of line....

Like they don't acknowledge how women actually have a desire to dress how they want and instead want to make women dress to their own set of standards!

Shall we follow the Muslims and give women a strict modest dress code? Would that make you men happy?

Women don't give a flying **** if you think she's dressed inappropriately!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimbo1234

What silly rubbish.
Firstly, women have breasts which are sexual so learn some biology and realise that men and women differ :eek: Apparently this is a fact people are seeming to forget nowadays due to liberal garbage masking reality.

A guy taking off his top implies the same as a women wearing a crop top etc as it shows off a lot. Sure, there are practical elements when it is hot, but this is the UK. Guys wearing short shorts would also be sexual, just like guys wearing super skintight leather trousers vacuum-packing their twig and giggle berries.

Or most men nowadays have retained some standards and wouldn't want to introduce some skank to their folks. Hell, why would I want some tramp to be the mother of my kids? So stop blaming others for telling you to have some dignity. The fault is with you, not us.

Breasts are for babies actually. What is sexual about that? A little bit of fatty tissue which provides milk to newborns is sexual? That's definitely new to me.

When I wear a crop top it's because it's either hot or because it's a cute top that I like. It shouldn't seem to draw attention to us, and if it does, then whoever seems to find it sexual was obviously brought up wrong. It's not OUR fault that people choose to perceive our bodies as sexual, or offensive, or 'skanky'. It's a human body. I would definitely not find a man in short shorts or skintight leather trousers sexual. He can wear whatever he wants.

Unfortunately, you also seem to be narrow-minded. I suggest you learn to appreciate what other people like and want to do, and stop being so judgemental. Respect is a key word.
It actually really upsets me to see how people feel about women in society. This generation really has a lot to learn. I know for sure that my children will be raised to respect other people and their choices.
Reply 67
Another point is that lesbians don't stare at women who may be wearing revealing clothing, they have learnt what actually is and is not sexual. If women attracted to other women can do it then clearly men are the problem.
Original post by Mason_
Another point is that lesbians don't stare at women who may be wearing revealing clothing, they have learnt what actually is and is not sexual. If women attracted to other women can do it then clearly men are the problem.

This!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AccountingBabe

Like they don't acknowledge how women actually have a desire to dress how they want and instead want to make women dress to their own set of standards!

Shall we follow the Muslims and give women a strict modest dress code? Would that make you men happy?

****ing pigs the lot of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No need to stir up such insults, my dear.
I believe that all women should follow a reasonable and contemporary standard of dress.
It is unacceptable to think otherwise.
There should be no desire to show off your panty line or cleavage.
Original post by Mason_

1.Are you a lesbian?
2.Have you been to a gay club?
3.I believe that lesbians can be just as sexually driven
Reply 71
I believe that all women should follow a reasonable and contemporary standard of dress.

"I believe" This is YOUR opinion and as a boy you have no say. Your opinion is not needed, wanted or even considerable. And wtf is this? The 60s? "reasonable and contemporary standard of dress" LMAO. 21st century people, please wake up.

I agree to a point of when there is a dress code for example work but in their own free time if they wish to reveal themselves then are perfectly in their right to wear a short skirt or low top outside in public view.

Your own views mean nothing to the person next to you so why do you try to impose them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
1.Are you a lesbian?
2.Have you been to a gay club?
3.I believe that lesbians can be just as sexually driven

No I have many lesbian friends. And lmao how can you compare a gay club with being out in public normally? Yes, obviously in gay clubs lesbians may stare or try to attract other women because that is the purpose of a gay club.
Original post by WannabeDoctor98
It means you feel beautiful, attractive and confident about yourself. (Which I know your gonna say you should feel all the time but you don't, how you dress definitely helps)

Posted from TSR Mobile

And why is that?

Oh yeah, when men start staring and admiring you.
Reply 75
Some women think that being seen as "hot" or "sexy" is the best thing in the world, and the fact that some people don't like it doesn't even enter their minds.

A question to all those who say that people can wear what they like: What about public decency? Do you really want to teach young children that wearing next to nothing is the right thing to do, and that having people stare at you like a piece of meat is somehow "good"?

I'm all for freedom of expression and action, but when it means that some people can justify walking around naked, it's a no from me.:colonhash:
Because that's what men like :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ephilas
Some women think that being seen as "hot" or "sexy" is the best thing in the world, and the fact that some people don't like it doesn't even enter their minds.

A question to all those who say that people can wear what they like: What about public decency? Do you really want to teach young children that wearing next to nothing is the right thing to do, and that having people stare at you like a piece of meat is somehow "good"?

I'm all for freedom of expression and action, but when it means that some people can justify walking around naked, it's a no from me.:colonhash:

Ow so you're now going to shame the female body? It's not proper enough for society but a man walking around topless is fine? Screw you! Our bodies are nothing to be ashamed of and is nothing a child hasn't seen when sucking on the nipple of its mother!

The more you make something a secret the more people see it as a taboo if it was normal in society no one would care or analyse it into something it's not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AccountingBabe

****ing pigs the lot of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, clearly you do give a f**k otherwise you wouldn't be here posting about it. Don't mistake not giving a f**k with wanting to not give a f**k. I know a lot of people who really don't give a f**k and the last thing they ever do is go about telling everyone they don't give a f**k.

Some women will spend all day every day trying to convince the world they dress as they do 'for themselves.' That it makes them feel better, that what men think doesn't actually matter. Rather, what women are so often terrified to acknowledge - it would stand opposed to their 5 decades worth of indoctrination - is that they do actually care about whether men find them sexually attractive and they care far, far, far more than they let on.

Invariably, men are just too lacking in gumption to call a woman on b******t these days, or tell them to shut the f**k up, largely owing to the fact society now deems that every feeling a woman has is the precise definition of logic and reality, rather than a perception she and she alone owns.

The dynamics between men and women haven't changed in 50 years, women still want to attract men and they do that by flaunting themselves in ways they deem men find appropriate (be it by exhibiting innocence, sexuality or submissiveness), and men still want to have sex with women (and they do that by achieving status, power or being what women deem to be genetically superior).

In the absence of a man to actually come forth and refuse to validate every single feeling a woman has, we spawn an entirely different type of woman who compensates in the worst way possible for this absence (or her Father issues): the radical feminist. So vitriolic, so spiteful and hateful and indulgent, that she just wants a man to notice her and tell her to shut the f**k up.

I know, it's all very politically incorrect. It's a damn shame it's a reality though, eh?
(edited 8 years ago)
Lel

Any females in here who are saying that they wear revealing clothes for themselves/for comfort is clearly lying

The womens purpose in life is to attract a male and have babies. They do this by showing off

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending