The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do women feel the need to sexualise themselves in public?

I have noticed from a recent observation around London, and it got me thinking why?Why do women do it?
Women of different age groups that think it is attractive to wear as little as possible, and it is not sexy.

Scroll to see replies

It is attractive for men and thats what they want. Maybe you're not that type of person
Reply 2
we get it, you like men
Reply 3
Or maybe..they just want to wear whatever they want and then "observers" like you categorise every woman to be the same? Did it not enter your head that a massive portion of the people you saw could be in a relationship already and have no plans on impressing anyone (excluding their partner). Or the possibility that a big group of the people you saw could might well be asexual? Maybe youre in the wrong here, its your mind that is linking their clothing and sex together.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Well, as a woman...I don't do that! I don't feel comfortable like it. However, I then get comments saying that I don't make enough effort with myself (I'm more of a T-shirts, jeans and trainers girl), so you just can't please everyone :smile:

Some men will like that women dress like that but I do think some women go over the top, especially those in relationships. They don't seem to respect their own body by showing a lot off. I can understand in the Summer if people don't want to wear a lot and it's a warm period...but I've seen girls who still wear little and keep showing their stomachs/thighs off in Autumn/Winter. Brr!!
Firstly, women don't dress for the sole purpose of impressing men.
Secondly, women aren't sexualising themselves by wearing clothing. That is YOU who is sexualising their body based on what clothes they are wearing.
most other men think women wearing revealing clothing can be attractive if done right (I.e not some fat 20 stone girl with rolls of fat sticking out) me included the female body is beautiful and not something that needs to be hidden away. So what gives you the right to judge and criticise what women do with their own body, more and more people are being sexually liberated these days since religion plays a smaller and smaller part in our life, people don't regard sex as a massive deal anymore it's fun and exciting so why shouldn't young men and women have sex with each other without being judged. Males and Females trying to attract each other's attention is about as old fashioned and as natural as it gets.
Reply 7
Ever occurred to your little brain that women wear and do what they want for themselves? NOT for men. They wear what they want because it makes them feel good about themselves. Maybe they like feeling sexy for themselves but that has nothing to do with you. Pls do not make dumb threads.
They are air heads. It's beyond their mental capacity to realise that their lack of clothing is having detrimental affect to the youth of United Kingdom and America
they scream 'men are sexualising us' but they are sexualising themselves
When I see any girl standing out in public, I'll just look away and not comment.
Reply 11
Original post by Blue_Mason
I have noticed from a recent observation around London, and it got me thinking why?Why do women do it?
Women of different age groups that think it is attractive to wear as little as possible, and it is not sexy.

Oh god I don't even know where to start, there's the issue that hyper-sexualisation of women is actually a result of our patriarchal society, the point that not all women dress the same, the idea that actually some women wearing very little might be attractive to some, although it's not to your taste, the point that they may not be dressing for your opinion anyway, they are wearing what they feel comfortable in, not to mention the fact that there is a huge double standard when it comes to what men and women are allowed to wear.... I just don't think it's possible to cover the whole issue with you when your understanding is so limited.
(edited 8 years ago)
I usually wear jeans, military boots, a low-cut top and hoodie. I don't have my cleavage showing to benefit men, I do it because that's how I like to dress and it makes me feel comfortable. If you can't see anything else but my chest, then it's you who has the problem buddy, not me.
its almost as upsetting as when men sexualise themselves by wearing shorts or going topless :yawn:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by I WILL OPEN YOU
they scream 'men are sexualising us' but they are sexualising themselves

*hits head against desk*
1. Don't date women who dress like s***s. I know, it's crass, but invariably there's some underlying psychological issue behind why a girl would wear a skirt which barely covers her genitalia. More often than not it has something to do with her Father and his inability to validate her.

2. Women will spend their entire lives, and all their energy, telling you they don't dress to impress men or they dress for themselves - they dress in a certain way because it makes them 'feel better.' Women are far, far, far more influenced by the general collective opinion of 'men' than they'd have you believe (much in the way we bend to adapt to their behavioural traits, or wants and needs). When/if you meet a truly honest woman, one who is happy to share with you, you'll better understand the commonly presented, if not universal, dynamics between men and women.

In reality, the dynamic - the REAL dynamic, not the "I'm a woman hear me roar" tumblr dynamic - hasn't changed much in the last 50 years, nor will it. Women want status and security, men want sex. The only interruption to this dynamic is your average 21st century middle-class radical feminist, who wants to tear down existing power structures, professes the world is ruled by 'white male privilege' and lacks the ability to address any issue without attacking people based on identity or the sacrosanct human condition known as 'her feelings.' Her perception is her reality, her feelings are logic, your logic is blasphemy.

In reality, I get the impression the very small minority of radical feminist women who pollute the internet are just so utterly pissed off and irate that they can't find a man to call them on all their bull****, or tell them to shut the f**k up. What should we expect though? We've spent decades feminising boys or deeming that 'femininity' is the only acceptable behavioural standard.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why do women do it? Because they are exercising their right to wear whatever the hell they want, and what concern is it of yours?
The real reason women wear revealing clothes is for attention...and then they loudly complain when they achieve their goal :facepalm2:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PurplePixie96
Why do women do it? Because they are exercising their right to wear whatever the hell they want, and what concern is it of yours?

That is not how society works my dear, as the majority must take responsibility for their decisions, I mean you can smoke in front of children but that does not make it okay, whilst exercising your right.
You should not have that right to dress in such a way on public
Original post by Blue_Mason

To get a little breeze on the skin

Latest