The Student Room Group

Why can focus for a long time on games/books/tv but not studying?

I can spend hours on a video game or TV and sometimes even a book without noticing the time, needing a drink or going to the toilet. But when it comes to studying even stuff I enjoy I find it really hard to concentrate for more than 20 minutes at a time. Over the course of a 2 hour session I've probably done an hours worth of work.

How do I tap into the part of me that could do a 4 hour game session in to maths?

I know some people use that modalart or something but I'm not a pill type person (hangovers are cured by going for a run)

Still, I'm starting a full time distance course soon and I need to get this sorted.
It's harder to focus on something that you must do as opposed to something you do for fun, even if you enjoy the work you're doing. Also, studying takes a lot more brain effort than mindlessly watching TV and playing games.
It sounds like you have poor self control. Have you considered trying to break your work up into milestones, and then taking a short break to do something fun after each milestone? You don't necessarily need to stare at a maths textbook for 4 hours straight.
(edited 8 years ago)
Okay I think honestly most people have this problem to some extent. I know I certainly used to. I've even been known to spend exam time (such as GCSEs and A levels) actually daydreaming and not concentrating. Needless to say, not good.

The problem can be a number of things though; there might be too many distractions around you, you might be frustrated with the subjects you're doing, you might not have the best revision technique to keep you interested... You get the point.

I found that setting myself allotted amounts of time for specific pieces of work eased me into being able to concentrate better. Also when you're working turn off your phone etc so you'll be more focused on the task in hand. The only exception for me being my iPod, which I'd play concentration or classical music through, as it seemed to help as well.

Also, and this isn't easy, you may need to change your attitude to work. Instead of seeing it as something that evil teachers or lecturers set you for a laugh, see it as something that's going to help you get the grades you want or even just help you write essays more clearly or have better exam technique. This was the game changer for me.

Out of interest what subject/subjects are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mark8346
It sounds like you have poor self control. Have you considered trying to break your work up into milestones, and then taking a short break to do something fun after each milestone? You don't necessarily need to stare at a maths textbook for 4 hours straight.

I did this self studying a-levels. I divided books into sections and say I have to reach this each day which worked but my input vs output is really inefficient which you can get a way with in a-levels.
But yes my self control is not brilliant, I try to minimize distractions eg work in library

Original post by wolfhound
Okay I think honestly most people have this problem to some extent. I know I certainly used to. I've even been known to spend exam time (such as GCSEs and A levels) actually daydreaming and not concentrating. Needless to say, not good.

The problem can be a number of things though; there might be too many distractions around you, you might be frustrated with the subjects you're doing, you might not have the best revision technique to keep you interested... You get the point.

I found that setting myself allotted amounts of time for specific pieces of work eased me into being able to concentrate better. Also when you're working turn off your phone etc so you'll be more focused on the task in hand. The only exception for me being my iPod, which I'd play concentration or classical music through, as it seemed to help as well.

Also, and this isn't easy, you may need to change your attitude to work. Instead of seeing it as something that evil teachers or lecturers set you for a laugh, see it as something that's going to help you get the grades you want or even just help you write essays more clearly or have better exam technique. This was the game changer for me.

Out of interest what subject/subjects are you studying?
Posted from TSR Mobile

At the moment I'm studying for some Maths tests in late October. But I had similar problems on other subjects. It's the same at work, I have a friend who would probably not notice a naked model walking down the office corridor yet for me its almost impossible to put all my attention in to one task. Even with no physical distractions my mind wanders all over the place.

There is certainly something with deadlines focusing the mind. In April/May I was lot better than the preceding months, if there is some way to mentally convince myself that I have a constant deadline looming I would get more done but not sure it would be good for my mental health!
Original post by skeptical_john

At the moment I'm studying for some Maths tests in late October. But I had similar problems on other subjects. It's the same at work, I have a friend who would probably not notice a naked model walking down the office corridor yet for me its almost impossible to put all my attention in to one task. Even with no physical distractions my mind wanders all over the place.

There is certainly something with deadlines focusing the mind. In April/May I was lot better than the preceding months, if there is some way to mentally convince myself that I have a constant deadline looming I would get more done but not sure it would be good for my mental health!

I was exactly the same, and when it came to cramming etc I ended up with good grades.

It sounds like you need to get into the habit of catching yourself out, as it were, when you daydream. This is something I took from meditation, which sounds silly but it works.
When you mediate you're told to keep brining your attention back to your breathing and notice when your mind wanders. The more I did this, the less frequently I found my mind pulling my thoughts away. So now I do exactly the same with work. The minute my mind stops focusing on the task in hand is the minute I mentally shake myself and return to the task. Maybe give it a go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfhound
I was exactly the same, and when it came to cramming etc I ended up with good grades.

It sounds like you need to get into the habit of catching yourself out, as it were, when you daydream. This is something I took from meditation, which sounds silly but it works.
When you mediate you're told to keep brining your attention back to your breathing and notice when your mind wanders. The more I did this, the less frequently I found my mind pulling my thoughts away. So now I do exactly the same with work. The minute my mind stops focusing on the task in hand is the minute I mentally shake myself and return to the task. Maybe give it a go?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I have tried mindfulness a few times, first it was it help my sleeping (same problem of mind going all over the place) but in the end I got much better results from listening to a podcast of something like science or radio4 and have slept really well since.

It's certainly worth trying some kind of focusing technique though, my some kind of picture that reminds me to get back on track. I am trying different types of music, classical can work but it's a bit slow so trying something a but more like dance.
Original post by skeptical_john
I have tried mindfulness a few times, first it was it help my sleeping (same problem of mind going all over the place) but in the end I got much better results from listening to a podcast of something like science or radio4 and have slept really well since.

It's certainly worth trying some kind of focusing technique though, my some kind of picture that reminds me to get back on track. I am trying different types of music, classical can work but it's a bit slow so trying something a but more like dance.

That's exactly what I tried meditation for too, and then resolved to do the same with podcasts.

Weirdly the specific song "Afterglow" by Wilkinson can make me type quicker and focus more than I usually would. Don't ask me why, it just does! Or there are specially made concentration music channels on YouTube that have what they call "binaural beats". They helped me too.

Also this may sound irrelevant but have you tried working out before sitting down to revise? That seemed to do the trick as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending