The Student Room Group

Lumps in veins- what are they?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Okay thank you! If it was a valve problem, what would the implications of this be and could it effect my use of the pill in any way?
Another thing that made me think it might not be blood clots is because when she bent her arm, she she still had a 'lump' in one of the areas of her forearm and wasn't too bothered about it, and blood clots are pretty severe Id imagine

It's not necessarily even a problem. Some people just have pronounced veins and pronounced valves. Some people have tortuous veins, others have straight veins.

With regards to the (combined) contraceptive pill, the cautions are as follows:
Vein clots in first degree relative aged under 45
Obesity
Immobilisation
>35yrs of age
Smoker
Diabetes
High blood pressure
Migraines
Personal history of breast cancer
Personal history of undiagnosed vaginal bleeding.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Etomidate
It's not necessarily even a problem. Some people just have pronounced veins and pronounced valves. Some people have tortuous veins, others have straight veins.

With regards to the (combined) contraceptive pill, the cautions are as follows:
Vein clots in first degree relative aged under 45
Obesity
Immobilisation
>35yrs of age
Smoker
Diabetes
High blood pressure
Migraines
Personal history of breast cancer
Personal history of undiagnosed vaginal bleeding.

When you say vein clots, would what you imagine my mum had count as this?
When you say vein clots, would what you imagine my mum had count as this?

No, for the reasons that I've already stated.
Original post by Etomidate
No, for the reasons that I've already stated.

Okay, sorry if I seem dim, but why would they need to be removed if they aren't a danger?
Okay, sorry if I seem dim, but why would they need to be removed if they aren't a danger?

Presumably for cosmetic purposes.
Hi- my mum's been diagnosed with DVT sadly- and we're completely new to this. We're lucky that the doctor spotted them before the blood clot traveled to her upper body. Currently, she's having anticoagulants as injections but are there any other ways that they can be removed forever? Thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest