The Student Room Group

"Can't you hear me, S.O.S.?": TLG's PhD study blog!

26 year old ethnomusicology student (University of London) researching ABBA fandom, seeks TSR peeps to act as cheerleaders as she battles her way through PhD studies. Apply for cheerleading position(s) by following/posting on this thread :biggrin:

A bit about my PhD topic

A bit about my specific PhD project: I am doing an ethnographic study of ABBA fandom in the 21st century :awesome: (Ethnographic means that there's a practical element to the research, like going to fan meet-ups/conventions and interviewing people, etc, rather than just theorising ABBA based on my own guesswork/conclusions.)

I chose to do this partly because I am an ABBA fan myself, but also because I think ABBA are an interesting case study, since they continue to be part of mainstream culture despite having never reformed. (They have actually turned down $1 billion USD in the past to reform :headfire: ) I figured there must be some interesting things to say about them!

I have been doing participant-observation fieldwork with the UK branch of the Official International ABBA Fan Club, and have interviewed an ABBA biographer, as well as the curator/director of the ABBA Museum in Stockholm. I've also been keeping tabs on Facebook groups revolving around ABBA. So a lot of my work involves hanging round on Facebook. Such a tough life I lead :emo:

:tongue:

A bit about me/some housekeeping rules

A few bits of contextual info about me/my PhD, for those who don't know me that well:

1. I suffer from schizoaffective disorder and am registered as mentally disabled. This inevitably shapes how my PhD journey goes a lot

2. Ethnomusicology is (put crudely) the social anthropological study of music. It is the study of "music IN culture" and "music AS culture" (Alan Merriam). Traditionally it referred to so-called 'world musics' but now it encompasses everything

3. My undergraduate degree is in music from Woosta College, University of Oxford. My MA degree is in music (ethnomusicology pathway) from Goldsmiths, University of London. Had a **** time at Oxford for many reasons which I will not discuss here, but which again shape the way I approach my PhD. Goldsmiths was much better. I am currently at a different college of the University of London (would prefer not to name it here).

4. If you are one of these people who like to put two and two together and find my uni website page/academia.edu - please DO NOT refer to me on here by my full first name, or my full name (first name/surname). I prefer to keep a degree of anonymity on here If you wanna call me something, you may call me Shan or TLG.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Subscribing
Original post by jelly1000
Subscribing

Yay :biggrin: Thank you :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Me too,

:rave: :rave: :rave:
In to watch :teeth:
Subscribing. Go TLG!
Original post by sj27
Me too,

:rave: :rave: :rave:

Original post by Slowbro93
In to watch :teeth:

Original post by grownupfrog
Subscribing. Go TLG!

:awesome:

:grouphugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guess I could take some inspiration from this :colone: . Subscribing :awesome:
Original post by Nirgilis
Guess I could take some inspiration from this :colone: . Subscribing :awesome:

:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll subscribe too :smile: I'll write my own soon too
Original post by *Interrobang*
I'll subscribe too :smile: I'll write my own soon too

Yay! Do provide alink to yours so I can subscribe :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for all the subscriptions to my thread so far :banana:

A few bits of contextual info about me/my PhD, for those who don't know me that well:

1. I suffer from schizoaffective disorder and am registered as mentally disabled. This inevitably shapes how my PhD journey goes a lot :nopity:

2. Ethnomusicology is (put crudely) the social anthropological study of music. It is the study of "music IN culture" and "music AS culture" (Alan Merriam). Traditionally it referred to so-called 'world musics' but now it encompasses everything :colone:

3. My undergraduate degree is in music from Woosta College, University of Oxford. My MA degree is in music (ethnomusicology pathway) from Goldsmiths, University of London. Had a **** time at Oxford for many reasons which I will not discuss here, but which again shape the way I approach my PhD. Goldsmiths was much better. I am currently at a different college of the University of London (would prefer not to name it here).

4. If you are one of these people who like to put two and two together and find my uni website page/academia.edu - please DO NOT refer to me on here by my full first name, or my full name (first name/surname). I prefer to keep a degree of anonymity on here :colondollar: If you wanna call me something, you may call me Shan or TLG.

:grouphugs:
Also subscribing! :smile: (And also tempted to start my own...)
Original post by llacerta
Also subscribing! :smile: (And also tempted to start my own...)

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Yay! Do provide alink to yours so I can subscribe :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will when I've posted it up - been out today (as you'll see if you check FB!)
Pick me! Pick me! :itsme: :rave:

Btw is the thread title an ABBA reference? That's a shot in the dark :p:
Is 'Under Attack' objectively the best Abba song?
TSR deleted my nice explanation of my PhD topic :emo:

Original post by Craghyrax
Pick me! Pick me! :itsme: :rave:

Btw is the thread title an ABBA reference? That's a shot in the dark :p:

:awesome:

Tiz indeed - I asked in GOG Soc for good ABBA song titles/lyrics and sj27 came up with S.O.S. and I thought it was too genius an idea to pass over :biggrin:

Original post by tomfailinghelp
Is 'Under Attack' objectively the best Abba song?

Depends what you mean - I'm not sure one can say there is 'objectively' a "best" ABBA song. I think it's a very intricate song that no other band would have come out with, if that's what you mean :smile:

Original post by *Interrobang*
I will when I've posted it up - been out today (as you'll see if you check FB!)

:ahee:

Quick Reply