The Student Room Group

How to pass Hazard perception part of the Theory test?

Hi everyone,

My question is addressed for people, who already passed or about to pass Theory Test for UK driving license.

Basically, I failed twice theory test because of the Hazard perception part. How do people practice for it? Is there a special website, where there are videos to practice, that are similar to the exam ones?
One more thing, for me the assessment of Hazard perception part is very abstract. What includes and excludes in hazards? What is the developing hazard? Do I need to click ones for each hazard or more?

Thanks in advance,

Igor
Original post by Igor_Sukhorukov
Hi everyone,

My question is addressed for people, who already passed or about to pass Theory Test for UK driving license.

Basically, I failed twice theory test because of the Hazard perception part. How do people practice for it? Is there a special website, where there are videos to practice, that are similar to the exam ones?
One more thing, for me the assessment of Hazard perception part is very abstract. What includes and excludes in hazards? What is the developing hazard? Do I need to click ones for each hazard or more?

Thanks in advance,

Igor

Hi Igor,

has your driving instructor not given you any advice?

Most people buy a hazard perception DVD (about 5-10 pounds) and use that to practice. Most shops like WH Smith sell them, but you can also pick them up online.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Official-Guide-Hazard-Perception/dp/0115528652
Reply 2
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Igor

DVSA hazard perception CD

For me, I just clicked when I saw a hazard, then another time after 2 seconds and then when the hazard was closer up as well. I would click around 4-5 even 6 times, as long as you don't click continuously it should be fine. Clicking a lot worked best for me tbh.
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Igor

I used their software to practice for theory and hazard perception. Also went online and found some sites that had some test hazard perceptions, I went over them so I know what kind of hazards I should be expecting in the test.

You will need to click when a hazard requires you to either change speed or direction of the vehicle. For example when you see children on the side walk, they can be a potential hazard because they could step out onto the road. Click when you spot a hazard and then also click again when the hazard develops further in case you clicked too early so you still get points.

You can click more than once or twice, but don't click too many times in a short period as the system might give you 0 points as it's registered as Cheating. I'd say click when you spot a hazard, click when or before the hazard develops. I'd really advise to just practice doing them at home, you can just type in hazard perception test clips into Google and you'll find ones that you can practice, you'll get a better idea of what's a hazard and what's a developing hazard and when to click.
Thank you for your responses! Yes, I think it is also a matter of practice, so I will consider buying a CD and Google tests. Perhaps, I failed because I clicked on some hazards too early, so it even didn't start to count from 5 to 0. (For example, I saw in the video flock of sheep well before the bend and clicked just ones).
Thank you for your responses! Yes, I think it is also a matter of practice, so I will consider buying a CD and Google tests. Perhaps, I failed because I clicked on some hazards too early, so it even didn't start to count from 5 to 0. (For example, I saw in the video flock of sheep well before the bend and clicked just ones).

Yeah it kinda sucks that if you spot a hazard too early then you might not be awarded for it. It's always good to spot a hazard early, but then again it might not be a hazard that the actual clip is trying to show, so be careful.
Original post by Suldok
Yeah it kinda sucks that if you spot a hazard too early then you might not be awarded for it. It's always good to spot a hazard early, but then again it might not be a hazard that the actual clip is trying to show, so be careful.

But even if I click on the what I think is a hazard, which in fact is not, it won't count as a mistake, will it? As long as I do not do it too much or constantly, of course.
I failed because I clicked on some hazards too early, so it even didn't start to count from 5 to 0. (For example, I saw in the video flock of sheep well before the bend and clicked just ones).

I've had a go on a simulator, and it was shockingly bad at accepting 'early' answers - it was only registering ones at the 'OMG, if I don't do something now, I am going to crash!' stage.
Original post by unprinted
I've had a go on a simulator, and it was shockingly bad at accepting 'early' answers - it was only registering ones at the 'OMG, if I don't do something now, I am going to crash!' stage.

Hahaha. Well it checked your reaction during the emergency situations!:smile: But, talking seriously, it shouldn't be like that on the simulator, that supposed to help you build the confidence for the real test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending