The Student Room Group

Abiogenesis is a myth and mathematically impossible

Or in other words based on blind faith. Abiogenesis is the process by which living matter, life, arose from non-living matter from a primordial ooze billions of years ago on an early version of our earth.

This is an assumption, something that scientists cannot replicate with all the technology and advancements we have made, mixing non-living matter in a closed atmosphere does not yield living matter.

To make issues worse it only happened once according to these people, hmm..

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Danny McCoyne
Or in other words based on blind faith. Abiogenesis is the process by which living matter, life, arose from non-living matter from a primordial ooze billions of years ago on an early version of our earth.

This is an assumption, something that scientists cannot replicate with all the technology and advancements we have made, mixing non-living matter in a closed atmosphere does not yield living matter.

To make issues worse it only happened once according to these people, hmm..

It's all fake!!!!! Global warming is a myth!!!!!!! Everything is rigged!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!11:zomg::zomg::zomg::zomg::zomg::zomg::zomg::zomg::zomg::zomg:
I'll admit that science hasn't definitively explained how abiogenesis happened, but there are some decent explanations that have yet to be disproved. Scientists haven't yet produced any living cells from scratch, but they have been able to make many biochemical building blocks, including some self-promoting chemicals, from scratch under conditions that would have been found in the primordial soup. Current models of the beginning of life involve a pre-life environment containing such self-promoting biological chemicals that gradually became more complex through competition with each other until eventually they were us.

I object to your assertion that abiogenesis is "mathematically impossible" - that statement is much closer to being based on blind faith than models of abiogenesis are. You haven't even attempted to support it with evidence of any kind.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I'll admit that science hasn't definitively explained how abiogenesis happened, but there are some decent explanations that have yet to be disproved. Scientists haven't yet produced any living cells from scratch, but they have been able to make many biochemical building blocks, including some self-promoting chemicals, from scratch under conditions that would have been found in the primordial soup. Current models of the beginning of life involve a pre-life environment containing such self-promoting biological chemicals that gradually became more complex through competition with each other until eventually they were us.

I object to your assertion that abiogenesis is "mathematically impossible" - that statement is much closer to being based on blind faith than models of abiogenesis are. You haven't even attempted to support it with evidence of any kind.

I'm not an expert on the topic. I have made an educated guess on the evidence by Miller Urey which I have categorised as ridiculous anyway as they are based on massive assumptions such as the primeval atmosphere on early earth being reductive i.e. lacking oxygen when paleontological evidence suggests that oxygen was in fact ubiqitous at the earliest time on earth.

So many questions about abiogenesis so few answers.

Did you know that there weren't even enough electrons in the atmosphere for enough successful combinations of peptide bond linkage between amino acids for basic proteins to have arose? The fact that a peptide bond in nature has a chance of 1 in 2 to form even for the simplest 32 amino acid protien has a very small probability this is of course without even considering successful folding and other things which I don't have the patience to go through.

I'm not asserting that it's impossible, I'm asking is it impossible? Is belief in Abiogenesis and by association evolution the result of blind faith?

Quick Reply

Latest