The Student Room Group

Doctor dream gcse chemistry terror

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosieme
Ah thank you! Do you study medicine then?

Yep.

I also hated chemistry when I was at school, but one book I found quite good was Chemistry for You (then Advanced Chemistry for You during A levels). I don't know if they'll be suitable for your exam board etc but they might be worth looking at.
Reply 21
Original post by Democracy
Yep.

I also hated chemistry when I was at school, but one book I found quite good was Chemistry for You (then Advanced Chemistry for You during A levels). I don't know if they'll be suitable for your exam board etc but they might be worth looking at.

Thank you so much! I'm just very worried I'd never be able to get an A*/A in a-level. I have a feeling im going to be in double science this year, do you think this will affect chem/medicine in the future?
Original post by rosieme
Thank you so much! I'm just very worried I'd never be able to get an A*/A in a-level. I have a feeling im going to be in double science this year, do you think this will affect chem/medicine in the future?

It's been "a while" since I did GCSEs but as far as I'm aware double science GCSE is absolutely fine. It's what I did at any rate - why do you think it might be a problem?
Reply 23
It's been "a while" since I did GCSEs but as far as I'm aware double science GCSE is absolutely fine. It's what I did at any rate - why do you think it might be a problem?

Ah good, I thought it might put me behind a bit but I guess it didn't for you! If you don't mind me asking, where are you studying?
There's no pure chemistry on the course. It's just a stupid and outdated entry requirement.

I worry about those doctors who are prescribing drugs but only have a flimsy understanding of the biochemistry they're getting involved in. More precisely, I worry about their patients.
Original post by FlowerFaerie087
I worry about those doctors who are prescribing drugs but only have a flimsy understanding of the biochemistry they're getting involved in. More precisely, I worry about their patients.

The biochemistry taught in medical school has very little to do with drugs - that's why we study pharmacology, which also has nothing in common in with pure chemistry :wink:

In other words, there's no reason to be concerned - the UK has a robust enough educational system to make sure we're all safe but at the same time not learning lots of extraneous waffle.
Huh, I took a pharmacology course which was basically entirely chemistry. Then again, it was aimed at chemists. It was basically what the chemistry was that made drugs work, and some simple biochemistry (IANABiochemist). I frickin loved that course.

Quick Reply

Latest