The Student Room Group

Choosing my A-Levels? Will I need English Language?

I need to start choosing my A-Levels, and I have a couple combinations suitable for different sixth forms, but I'm having trouble choosing between doing A2 English Language and A2 Philosophy. While I'm good at GCSE English Language (consistent A*'s), it is not something I actually enjoy or think I will succeed in at A Level. Philosophy, on the other hand, is something I am interested in and I've heard it is respected by universities. If I am looking to do a marketing and management degree in the future, do you think this combination will impress universities (if I get good grades):

AS Level Computer Science
A2 Level Economics
A2 Level Maths
A2 Level Philosophy

Can philosophy replace English language in my case in your opinion?
Original post by literallykaya
I need to start choosing my A-Levels, and I have a couple combinations suitable for different sixth forms, but I'm having trouble choosing between doing A2 English Language and A2 Philosophy. While I'm good at GCSE English Language (consistent A*'s), it is not something I actually enjoy or think I will succeed in at A Level. Philosophy, on the other hand, is something I am interested in and I've heard it is respected by universities. If I am looking to do a marketing and management degree in the future, do you think this combination will impress universities (if I get good grades):

AS Level Computer Science
A2 Level Economics
A2 Level Maths
A2 Level Philosophy

Can philosophy replace English language in my case in your opinion?

I took English language bc I'm good at English and it's an easy subject. It requires little revision just practice throughout the year which ment I could focus more on my other subjects. When choosing AS subjects I wasn't really interesed with English but after doing it for a year I found it really enjoyable. If I were you though I would take philosophy if you think you would enjoy it more. I found out last year that you're more likely to do well in subjects you are actually interested in.
Reply 2
Heey, how did you do is English language Alevels. Im currently doing A2 English Langauge. Can you please share any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest