The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

"Posh" - Classics, Philosophy, Economics, Art History, Music

"Common" - nursing, engineering, social work

Very similar to others' lists.

Is there a theme? Do posh subjects have little practical application (economics aside perhaps), because mummy and daddy can support you when you can't find a job or find one for you?
Any mick mouse degree/STEM degrees.
Original post by Flapjack72
LEAST = American Studies ~ (any degrees that do not benefit life on this world)
MOST= Medicine, Engineering, Law, Mathematics, Physics...

As if toff chancers would actually take on Mathematics, Physics. They usually head for Economics instead.
Original post by hoping4Astars
I think Cambridge has a course called Land Economy. I'm guessing that will draw in people with quite a lot of land?

Also, does economics have a lot of posh people doing it?

Economics student here, I'd say it's a mix, but I wouldn't call it a 'posh' subject. Plenty of rowers and rugby-types recalling how their schools played each other at this or that during lectures, plenty of well-to-do internationals, but also plenty of regular people.
(edited 8 years ago)
I want to say Classics- at least in the past it was deemed as posh

But my school actually has mostly young classics teachers and they are far from posh :biggrin:
Original post by GodalmingStudier
LEAST:
Star Trek Georgetown University in Washington

So before you get to cocky and stuck up about American Studies here are some pathetic courses and their uni's...

Although Georgetown is actually super-posh in an American sort of way. :rolleyes:
Original post by Bill_Gates
Knew a girl who did Classics at University of Birmingham from Kensington - Her dad brought her a 2 bed house for £350k! She had an annual unearned income of £26k

So yeah - Classics or anything involving land and little effort.

I have an offer for Classics at Birmingham 😭
What I've taken from this is that degrees of any actual use are not considered posh, but degrees that don't stimulate thought or advance society in any way are?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by mathperson
What I've taken from this is that degrees of any actual use are not considered post, but degrees that don't stimulate thought or advance society in any way are?

Classics definitely stimulates thought, but its impact on society as a whole, well there’s always a debate to be had but despite my studying of it I would argue it has been influential but now not so much.

Latest

Trending

Trending