The Student Room Group

I'm planning to take Physics and Chemistry for AS and A Level...

...but I don't want to do Maths AS and A level. Is it possible to get a good grade in Chemistry and Physics at AS and A level without doing Maths?
I got a B in GCSE Maths and A* in Core Science and A* in Additional Science at GCSE level.
Or will I end up failing?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by parrot16
...but I don't want to do Maths AS and A level. Is it possible to get a good grade in Chemistry and Physics at AS and A level without doing Maths?
I got a B in GCSE Maths and A* in Core Science and A* in Additional Science at GCSE level.

It's perfectly possible as there's only basic maths (and plugging into formulae) for those two subjects.

However, do you know what course you want to study at uni as not doing maths may limit where you apply for certain subjects.

Best of Luck

And it is quite easy, if you're willing to work hard, to just learn all the maths related arts of the syllabus by rote.
Original post by hopefulmedic97
It's perfectly possible as there's only basic maths (and plugging into formulae) for those two subjects.

However, do you know what course you want to study at uni as not doing maths may limit where you apply for certain subjects.

Best of Luck

Yes I looked at university courses and its more useful for me to do Biology instead of Maths at A Level because I will have more options of courses.
Anyway thanks for your answer, I was just worried after hearing A level horror stories about Chemistry and Physics without Maths.
Original post by hopefulmedic97
And it is quite easy, if you're willing to work hard, to just learn all the maths related arts of the syllabus by rote.

Do you get given formula sheets on the exam paper?
Reply 5
Do you get given formula sheets on the exam paper?

I took both of these subjects and yea, you get given formula sheets. Chemistry should be completely fine without maths, the minimal maths you do at AS will not have anything to do with what you would study in AS maths. The only part in physics that someone could struggle without maths is the mechanics section but if you work hard there is nothing stopping you from learning that.
Original post by lenfam
I took both of these subjects and yea, you get given formula sheets. Chemistry should be completely fine without maths, the minimal maths you do at AS will not have anything to do with what you would study in AS maths. The only part in physics that someone could struggle without maths is the mechanics section but if you work hard there is nothing stopping you from learning that.

ok thanks.

You should be fine as long as you work hard. For chemistry not having a maths A-level won't make a difference and for physics it will make very little difference as the maths in a physics A-level is very basic and is more like just plugging in numbers to formulas

My word of warning is that make sure you definitely don't want to do physics at uni as you need a maths A-level to do it. Also make sure you don't want to go to a top 3/4 uni for chemistry as they also require a maths A-level (I know oxford, Bristol, kings, imperial and durham I know do)
Original post by madmadmax321
You should be fine as long as you work hard. For chemistry not having a maths A-level won't make a difference and for physics it will make very little difference as the maths in a physics A-level is very basic and is more like just plugging in numbers to formulas

My word of warning is that make sure you definitely don't want to do physics at uni as you need a maths A-level to do it. Also make sure you don't want to go to a top 3/4 uni for chemistry as they also require a maths A-level (I know oxford, Bristol, kings, imperial and durham I know do)

I don't want Physics at Uni. I want to do Chemistry at Lancaster Uni at the moment, And from the website you only need a B in GCSE Maths to get into the course, and don't need A level Maths.
I don't want Physics at Uni. I want to do Chemistry at Lancaster Uni at the moment, And from the website you only need a B in GCSE Maths to get into the course, and don't need A level Maths.

You will be fine then :smile: it's only the top unis that require maths for chemistry and the rest don't

Only other note is if I were you I would do chemistry, biology, physics and maths as lots of people in sixform changed their mind on what they wanted to do (That doesn't mean you will though) as they found that the subject was very different at A-level, chemistry, physics and biology change a bit but imo they become more interesting.

Good luck :smile:
Pyshics is really maths based
It's perfectly possible tbh. But Maths open a lot of doors for uni and Maths AS is the easiest thing you will ever do- just a suggestion :smile:

You'll be fine! I'm taking A level biology, chemistry and physics without any maths beyond GCSE. There's a little bit of A level maths in the second year (that I'm currently doing) but it's not too bad. Just see if you can do logarithms, natural logarithms, rearranging the subject of an equation and maybe integration and differentiation. Other than that, trigonometry is very important in physics.

If you decided you wanted to take physics or engineering at university, you're going to need maths though. But with a fair amount of chemistry courses and life sciences, you don't need a level maths. It would help, and you'd be covering some of it in the degree anyway, but it's not necessary. At some point, you will be faced with maths if you want to do any science subject after a levels.
Original post by madmadmax321
You will be fine then :smile: it's only the top unis that require maths for chemistry and the rest don't

Only other note is if I were you I would do chemistry, biology, physics and maths as lots of people in sixform changed their mind on what they wanted to do (That doesn't mean you will though) as they found that the subject was very different at A-level, chemistry, physics and biology change a bit but imo they become more interesting.

Good luck :smile:

Original post by Laurasaur
You'll be fine! I'm taking A level biology, chemistry and physics without any maths beyond GCSE. There's a little bit of A level maths in the second year (that I'm currently doing) but it's not too bad. Just see if you can do logarithms, natural logarithms, rearranging the subject of an equation and maybe integration and differentiation. Other than that, trigonometry is very important in physics.

If you decided you wanted to take physics or engineering at university, you're going to need maths though. But with a fair amount of chemistry courses and life sciences, you don't need a level maths. It would help, and you'd be covering some of it in the degree anyway, but it's not necessary. At some point, you will be faced with maths if you want to do any science subject after a levels.

Thanks.
Original post by TheMadHatteress
It's perfectly possible tbh. But Maths open a lot of doors for uni and Maths AS is the easiest thing you will ever do- just a suggestion :smile:

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest