The Student Room Group

My student loan will turn from £39,000 to £154,000 in 30 years

A lot of people try to get as much student loan as they can (me included) with the idea that it will be cancelled after 30 years. There's three problems with this that have made me feel a bit uneasy.

1. Having a £39,000 debt for the next 30 years. 30 YEARS!!! That's a long time. I know it's not "proper" debt, but it will still be sucking money from you every pay cheque you get. Although it won't affect you straight after university (chances are your salary will be fairly low), as you climb up the ladder, the higher you climb, the more money will be taken from you.

2. I will have a student loan of £39,000. If my salary average £35,000 throughout the next 30 years, with my loan having an interest rate of 5.5%, after 30 years I still wouldn't have paid back all my student loan therefore it would be cancelled. And that's great for me! However, I would have paid back £154,685 in that time! Source

3. The government can change their policies whenever they want. There are clauses in the T&C's allowing them room to do this fairly easily. Imagine if after 29 years your loan has increased up to £150k+ with interest, and then they change the policies making you pay it ALL back.

Does anyone else worry about this? Would it be worth overpaying the student loan? But then again, the government could cancel all student debt. Unlikely, but it could happen, and it would suck if you'd just finished paying it all off.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is it 5.5%, I thought it was 3.5%? You can pay a lump sum, I plan to do this after I buy my first house.
Reply 2
Original post by hihihihihi
Is it 5.5%, I thought it was 3.5%? You can pay a lump sum, I plan to do this after I buy my first house.

RPI + 3%

Also you are unlikely to have a large lump sum available after buying a house, perhaps after selling a house. But you might be better advised to keep the lump sum invested in the next house. Property prices are generally increasing faster than the SLC interest rate.

Individual circumstances may, of course, be different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please dont delude yourself to think its not a proper debt. I hear you students saying that bull all of the time like its just imaginary money. The government has the power to retroactively alternloan agreements and has considered increasing the amount you repaym monthly. They're also privatising the debt so you'll potentially be harassed by debt collectors. Debt was the one big thing I worried about with university and I'm so glad I decided not to go in the end. Who the heck wants to graduate age 21 with nearly 50K of debt. I know I dont, especially with interest rates set to rise soon
I don't understand your point no.2.
You pay 9% over £21,000. So by my calculation, if you averaged £35,000 for 30 years, you'd pay back around £37,800 before it's written off.

You'd still be down £37800 In the long run though, which in my opinion is Still a heck of a lot, especially compared to the previous system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bibliboo
I don't understand your point no.2.
You pay 9% over £21,000. So by my calculation, if you averaged £35,000 for 30 years, you'd pay back around £37,800 before it's written off.

You'd still be down £37800 In the long run though, which in my opinion is Still a heck of a lot, especially compared to the previous system.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its because of the interest dude. He'll be pairly paying off the interest, thats why. I think its down right disgusting that the government and universities keep telling students not to worry about the debt.....are they flaming mad or something.
Well I'm ****ed because my student loan is £92000 to start with for my pilot's licence.
Original post by CaptainJosh
Well I'm ****ed because my student loan is £92000 to start with for my pilot's licence.

And thats a bank loan to.....ouch. Hopefully you can get work right away otherwise you're screwed
The interest on my loan is 1.5%?

Re point 2, your salary will increase every year (due to inflation) so in 30 years time, even if you stayed in the same job/role, your salary as a number would increase too.
Original post by ImNotSuperman
A lot of people try to get as much student loan as they can (me included) with the idea that it will be cancelled after 30 years. There's three problems with this that have made me feel a bit uneasy.

1. Having a £39,000 debt for the next 30 years. 30 YEARS!!! That's a long time. I know it's not "proper" debt, but it will still be sucking money from you every pay cheque you get. Although it won't affect you straight after university (chances are your salary will be fairly low), as you climb up the ladder, the higher you climb, the more money will be taken from you.

2. I will have a student loan of £39,000. If my salary average £35,000 throughout the next 30 years, with my loan having an interest rate of 5.5%, after 30 years I still wouldn't have paid back all my student loan therefore it would be cancelled. And that's great for me! However, I would have paid back £154,685 in that time! Source

3. The government can change their policies whenever they want. There are clauses in the T&C's allowing them room to do this fairly easily. Imagine if after 29 years your loan has increased up to £150k+ with interest, and then they change the policies making you pay it ALL back.

Does anyone else worry about this? Would it be worth overpaying the student loan? But then again, the government could cancel all student debt. Unlikely, but it could happen, and it would suck if you'd just finished paying it all off.

Did you actually read the entire article you posted in your source, as it clearly supports the loan? When you say your average salary will be £35000, that is completely false unless you end up with a really crap job in the future. You are completely forgetting that wages will increase.
The student loan interest in ridiculously low and all you guys do is complain that it is too worrisome. You are getting an interest rate of around 3.9% from this September for a student loan that has a very high risk of not being repaid. That is a very fair rate for students. You won't ever have debt collectors as it is only repaid once you are working and this is extremely unlikely to change. Furthermore, the government will never ask you to pay all your student loan back, unless the economy is literally in turmoil. Imagine what this would do to public finances. If you read the bottom of the article it explains clearly why you should not overpay the loan.
Deciding not to go to university now because of unfounded and unsubstantiated fears about what might, theoretically, happen at some undetermined point decades in the future seems incredibly short sighted to me.
If you think that a student load is a bad deal, how will you ever consider a mortgage?
Compare the asset v repayments on that one
Reply 12
Original post by Zerforax
The interest on my loan is 1.5%?

Re point 2, your salary will increase every year (due to inflation) so in 30 years time, even if you stayed in the same job/role, your salary as a number would increase too.

The new student loans are RPI + 3%. Older ones are cheaper.
Original post by jneill
The new student loans are RPI + 3%. Older ones are cheaper.

Wow that is expensive..
Original post by Zerforax
Wow that is expensive..

But the repayment threshold on the new loans is higher.
Original post by applicationa

But in real terms with inflation, that £21K threshold will shrink because the govt refuses to raise the limit.
Original post by marco14196
But in real terms with inflation, that £21K threshold will shrink because the govt refuses to raise the limit.

They won't always refuse to raise it.
Original post by applicationa

I'd rather pay back more principal loan than funding interest repayments..
Reply 18
Original post by ImNotSuperman

Why are you going to University if you don't think you'll ever be able to get a good enough job to pay it back
student loans are the cheapest form of debt there is. you just have to go with it. and why not work or whatever in your summers to save some money up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending