The Student Room Group

Requirements for an Economics course at Oxbridge

Hi guys, I have just finished my AS year and managed to get 4 good A grades and managed to get 4 a*s, 6As and a B at GCSE, is it worth applying for economics and management at oxford or economics at Cambridge?

Thanks!

Ps my AS subjects were Maths, chemistry, politics and geography and I will be dropping geography.
No reason from your grades why not. I know people with worse grades than that who have got in.
Oxford's really anal about GCSE -- more-so than Cambridge. Your GCSE grades are below what the average applicant will have, so I'd try to focus on Cambridge to maximize your chances.

Here are the entry requirements foe economics at Cambridge: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/economics (click on the 'Entry Requirements' tab)
Reply 3
Thanks for your help guys!

Have switched my thinking as I think Oxbridge will be too hard to get and I am now considering going for economics, politics and international relations at warwick do you have amy information about that course?
Reply 4
Original post by aguyapplies
No reason from your grades why not. I know people with worse grades than that who have got in.

Not sure about that for oxford they are tough on gcse grades I've heard!
Reply 5
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Oxford's really anal about GCSE -- more-so than Cambridge. Your GCSE grades are below what the average applicant will have, so I'd try to focus on Cambridge to maximize your chances.

Here are the entry requirements foe economics at Cambridge: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/economics (click on the 'Entry Requirements' tab)

I've heard the same from a few others. Do you think I would have a chance for EPAIS at warwick?
Reply 6
You got 4 As at AS? You can apply wherever
Reply 7
Original post by BaronK
You got 4 As at AS? You can apply wherever

You sure? I'm don't think that it could complete with the elite private school people at the top universities!
Original post by BanterMan1
You sure? I'm don't think that it could complete with the elite private school people at the top universities!

mate A's are the highest grades you can get at AS. Stop making yourself look like a total dickhead. Yes we know ur trying to show off.
Reply 9
Actually mate I was just looking for some advice on what I should do next and if I shoukd consider Oxbridge considering that their acceptance rate is like 10%. Nothing that would justify petty name calling...
Original post by BanterMan1
Not sure about that for oxford they are tough on gcse grades I've heard!

I definitely know people who got in with those grades. Cambridge might be a better punt grades-wise but there is a lot to be said for picking which based on the course as long as you are in the running for both. I also think it is dangerous to make generalisations about Oxford admissions in that way - in reality they are hectic, and it depends who looks at your application at what time of day and whether they are particularly fussed about a B at GCSE's or not is down to the individual.
Reply 11
Original post by aguyapplies
I definitely know people who got in with those grades. Cambridge might be a better punt grades-wise but there is a lot to be said for picking which based on the course as long as you are in the running for both. I also think it is dangerous to make generalisations about Oxford admissions in that way - in reality they are hectic, and it depends who looks at your application at what time of day and whether they are particularly fussed about a B at GCSE's or not is down to the individual.

Your help is greatly appreciated! Yeah I understand your point that the odd slip in grades can be made up if you appear to be a good person for the particular course, personally if I were to apply to either it would be for economics at Cambridge or E&M at oxford but they are very competitive courses to get an offer for!

Quick Reply