The Student Room Group

Law in New York

So I recently read an article about how New York is changing its bar exam to the UBE. I really want to have the option to practice in New York, although I'm not sure I want to do a law degree (I feel my chances of getting into oxbridge would be seriously diminished if I decided to go for a law degree, and also I would find a languages degree much more stimulating). As far as I'm aware, you need a law degree, not a conversion, to take the NY bar exam; correct me if I'm wrong. But does anyone know if this would still apply for the UBE, or if instead you could take the exam with a conversion course rather than a full blown law degree? Thanks in advance!
Right, so you can work in the US without necessarily having to take the bar exam?
ok, thanks for the replies!
Original post by Stringer8ell
I really want to have the option to practice in New York…

I don't know how you plan to be in the position that you can work in New York (ie directly employed, or transferred from the UK by employer), but if the former you need to seriously consider the limited options for gaining a visa, if you don't already have the right to work in the USA.
might be able to offer some information.
Original post by Stringer8ell
So I recently read an article about how New York is changing its bar exam to the UBE. I really want to have the option to practice in New York, although I'm not sure I want to do a law degree (I feel my chances of getting into oxbridge would be seriously diminished if I decided to go for a law degree, and also I would find a languages degree much more stimulating). As far as I'm aware, you need a law degree, not a conversion, to take the NY bar exam; correct me if I'm wrong. But does anyone know if this would still apply for the UBE, or if instead you could take the exam with a conversion course rather than a full blown law degree? Thanks in advance!

If you want to sit the NYS Bar Exam, you need to have legal education substantively and durationally equivalent to a JD. That means three years in a law school.

Note that you can still achieve this without doing a first degree in law. You could do a non-law undergrad, followed by a senior status law degree and an LLM. If you have the time and money, it's an option worth considering.
I know that you can do a law degree at Oxford and Leicester with a year in European law. That means you will have the law degree but also a year abroad, practicing law and a language. So although you think it may decrease your chances of getting into Oxbridge, it sounds like you really want to be able to work in America and having this degree would allow you to do this. Or you could complete a law degree online after you've completed your language degree or whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest