The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AverageExcellence
I wouldn't say its in the 'top 5' for economics, Warwick trumps it,
History Durham and St Andrews beat it
Law St Andrews doesn't do because its in Scotland
Imperial is far better than it for both Pharmacy and Medicine.

UCL is no better than Warwick IMO, it is just always massively oversubscribed purely for the 'London factor' by foreign students, it is certainly not worth triple the PG rate they charge than Durham, Warwick or STA charge.

Imperial don't offer Pharmacy. And students pay a premium because UCL is ranked top 5 in the World by QS.
Original post by King of the Ring
Imperial don't offer Pharmacy. And students pay a premium because UCL is ranked top 5 in the World by QS.

sorry i didn't mean imperial i meant Kings,

but QS takes into other factors also which hardly say about quality, for example physical size of the university and amount of students attending.

St Andrews and Durham are in fairly sleepy towns in the North and UCL is the largest university in London - a major world city - its the same problem LSE has had in being considered as global institution owing to its limited faculties and inability to expand.

On the other foot it also explains why so many Ivies are considered far better, well they get a lot more investment because US students are forced to pay ridiculous prices but they are also gigantic.

Money and size doesn't mean better quality.

PS: they pay top prices for ANY university in london purely because it has the international london factor, not because any QS rankings, by that logic it says that Manchester or Liverpool are better than Durham and Warwick which is clearly not correct.
(edited 8 years ago)
sorry i didn't mean imperial i meant Kings,

but QS takes into other factors also which hardly say about quality, for example physical size of the university and amount of students attending.

St Andrews and Durham are in fairly sleepy towns in the North and UCL is the largest university in London - a major world city - its the same problem LSE has had in being considered as global institution owing to its limited faculties and inability to expand.

On the other foot it also explains why so many Ivies are considered far better, well they get a lot more investment because US students are forced to pay ridiculous prices but they are also gigantic.

Money and size doesn't mean better quality.

PS: they pay top prices for ANY university in london purely because it has the international london factor, not because any QS rankings, by that logic it says that Manchester or Liverpool are better than Durham and Warwick which is clearly not correct.

Believe it or not, location does influence whether a university is a good place to study. UCL's London location helps it to attract better students, which boosts its performance overall. The fact that many of those applying to it are drawn by the 'London factor' doesn't necessarily weaken its academic standing.
Original post by Fry_Cook_of_Doom
Believe it or not, location does influence whether a university is a good place to study. UCL's London location helps it to attract better students, which boosts its performance overall. The fact that many of those applying to it are drawn by the 'London factor' doesn't necessarily weaken its academic standing.

That is true to an extent, I don't see the location factor giving much prestige to Greenwich, for example.
Oxbridge will always be at the top of England regardless of tables or rankings due to their prestige, history and academic rigor. However, there are universities that are still extremely competitive and come quite close such as Imperial, UCL and LSE. Britain is filled with top academic institutions but there is nothing like saying you've got a degree from oxbridge!

Disclaimer: Not an oxbridge student, still doing A levels

Only Manchester is ranked above Durham and Warwick by QS, and by some distance too. This is because it is academically much larger and stronger as a research intensive university than the others. They also attract many more international students, and have a much larger annual income, around £827 million (more than Imperial's £822 Million).

When will students wake up to the fact that Manchester is one of the World's top research universities, with an annual income nearly 3 times that of Durham's £300 million?
(edited 8 years ago)
Only Manchester is ranked above Durham and Warwick by QS, and by some distance too. This is because it is academically much larger and stronger as a research intensive university than the others. They also attract many more international students, and have a much larger annual income, around £827 million (more than Imperial's £822 Million).

When will students wake up to the fact that Manchester is one of the World's top research universities, with an annual income nearly 3 times that of Durham's £300 million?

Ok so why is York better than both Durham and St Andrews then? and why is Manchester ranked so low in national tables?
Original post by Fry_Cook_of_Doom

I guess it depends on who you ask, but to say that UCL is better than Durham, St Andrews and Warwick is undeserved and unsubstantiated. It is defo in the next band per say under oxbridge but it is not exceptional excellence.
Ok so why is York better than both Durham and St Andrews then? and why is Manchester ranked so low in national tables?

York is not ''better'' than Durham or St Andrews, neither is it worse. Manchester ranks poorly in national tables due it's huge size and student population. This dilutes all the ratios used in national league tables, including tariff points. The university is due to overhaul it's teaching in the near future, and they plan to spend £1 billion on new developments going forward, so their national ranking can only improve.
They are prestigious but I wouldn't say they are up there with Oxbridge.
York is not ''better'' than Durham or St Andrews, neither is it worse. Manchester ranks poorly in national tables due it's huge size and student population. This dilutes all the ratios used in national league tables, including tariff points. The university is due to overhaul it's teaching in the near future, and they plan to spend £1 billion on new developments going forward, so their national ranking can only improve.

Well its a contradiction in itself then if you claim Manchester's size is the reason it is fairing poorly in ratios when its size is exactly the reason it is said to be better than others on the QS league, it has nothing to do with the actual teaching or research quality. Ive looked around Manchester, read reviews and course modules for my fields and it certainly is nowhere near the the three above and does not deserve to be seen as better in any shape or form.
Well its a contradiction in itself then if you claim Manchester's size is the reason it is fairing poorly in ratios when its size is exactly the reason it is said to be better than others, it has nothing to do with the actual teaching or research quality. Ive looked around Manchester, read reviews and course modules for my fields and it certainly is nowhere near the the three above and does not deserve to be seen as better in any shape or form.

You don't understand. National league tables reward universities with smaller student populations and tight ratios for spending per head, and tight student:staff ratios. Manchester, given it's massive size and range of departments, needs an awful lot of income to spend on their research intensive departments, which in turn churn out masses of research, which overall has a positive effect on their World ranking.

A university these days needs to either choose to prioritise the national league tables or the World rankings. Going for both at the same time is not an option for most RG universities due to a lack of funding. IMO it doesn't make sense for a university in the RG to put the national league tables first, as such an approach cannot possibly lead to an increased annual income.
(edited 8 years ago)
St Andrews isn't even Russell Group. I think it's more known for its posh alumni than its academic clout. That said, it is a very beautiful place to spend 3 years. Durham is very good with regards to academics, but I think that LSE, UCL, Imperial and Kings (in some subjects) trump it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well its a contradiction in itself then if you claim Manchester's size is the reason it is fairing poorly in ratios when its size is exactly the reason it is said to be better than others on the QS league, it has nothing to do with the actual teaching or research quality. Ive looked around Manchester, read reviews and course modules for my fields and it certainly is nowhere near the the three above and does not deserve to be seen as better in any shape or form.
It is funny when people think there are substantial differences between universities such as York, Manchester or the rest of the good RGs.

"Nowhere near the three above."

TSR twenty-something year-old academics with in-depth prolonged experience in HE strike again!
Reply 94
Original post by TurtleberrySoup
St Andrews isn't even Russell Group. I think it's more known for its posh alumni than its academic clout. That said, it is a very beautiful place to spend 3 years. Durham is very good with regards to academics, but I think that LSE, UCL, Imperial and Kings (in some subjects) trump it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because a uni isn't RG doesn't mean it's bad. Look at Bath.

St Andrews is too far away and cold.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
Just because a uni isn't RG doesn't mean it's bad. Look at Bath.

St Andrews is too far away and cold.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given their tiny size, St Andrews must indeed offer top notch education considering they can still rank in the World top 100. It is a great achievement, they are punching above their weight.
I guess it depends on who you ask, but to say that UCL is better than Durham, St Andrews and Warwick is undeserved and unsubstantiated. It is defo in the next band per say under oxbridge but it is not exceptional excellence.

UCL is in a league of it's own, and cannot be cast with the likes of Durham and Warwick. As crazy as it seems, UCL ranks level wih Oxford, and just one place below Harvard, in the QS World rankings.
Reply 97
Given their tiny size, St Andrews must indeed offer top notch education considering they can still rank in the World top 100. It is a great achievement, they are punching above their weight.

Weren't you the guy slagging them off in another thread?

Do you just like disagreeing with people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
Weren't you the guy slagging them off in another thread?

Do you just like disagreeing with people?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are what they are, very good for their size, but not up there with KCL and Edinburgh.
There is no such thing as 'prestige' as far as Universities are concerned - just 17 year olds who haven't yet worked out that they should form their own opinions about what make a 'good' Uni rather than relying on their parents and teachers 20 years-out-of-date assumptions.

Latest

Trending

Trending