The Student Room Group

Parents giving grief!

The teaching at my college is bad and I do so much extra learning and try and do the best with self teaching. My parents dont ever appreciate this though. They have a go at me saying other people from colleges are wonderful because they get more A grades and do what they call amazing courses (e.g. medicine). I get this abuse constantly and criticism of the course I want to do. I just cant understand it.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but im sick of it tbh.

Scroll to see replies

That sucks :frown: Your parents should be supportive of you, especially if you go to a rubbish college. As long as you're working hard and doing your best, which you clearly are, your parents should be proud of you for whatever grades you get. I suppose they're doing it for your own good because they want to encourage you to do well, but they're going about it in the wrong way. Have you tried talking to them about it? There's always going to be someone better than you, so them constantly comparing you to straight A medicine students really isn't helpful!
Aww, sweetie. :frown:

That's terrible, and what's more, I know how exactly how it feels. When I got my GCSE results, I was over the moon (I got 8 A*s and 4.5 As), but all my parents would talk about was how every other Chinese kid they knew did better than me. It feels horrible. :frown:

My advice: ignore them, and just work hard, for *you*. You can do it. :smile:
:eek: 8 A*s and 4.5 As is amazing! And why should it matter that you're Chinese?? :confused: Anyway, those results definitely put you at the top end of the scale nationally and will serve you very well in the future, so who cares what your parents think? Well done! :biggrin:
Reply 4
aww hun look at the end of the day your woking for your self so you can do something good with your when you grow up. :smile:

it know its hard if you hear the workd everyday but you just have to keep telling yourself that this is about you, not about them
Reply 5
Prove them the hell wrong.

You seem to be a dedicated student, judging from what i see on these forums.

If you are going to do what you want to do, thats enough motivation you need. What are you hoping to do after A levels?
Reply 6
pharmacy hopefully but they go on and pester me about how crap it is.
Reply 7
You should be supportive of yourself even if your parents aren't. Don't let this get in your way.
Reply 8
Lol funny argument we had last night. I said can you take me to UEA because its my first choice and I want to have a look around. They go no, youve been to 2 open days thats enough. Then wait till I go out of the room and start swearing and slagging me off. I cant get it out of my system.
jesus_navas
pharmacy hopefully but they go on and pester me about how crap it is.

It isnt that great.
But it could be worse.
You could be doing media studies at Loughborough :rolleyes:
God, I think I'd go away to uni and never come back if my parents were like that! :mad:
Reply 11
awww just ignore them seriously..its your life not theirs.
ignore them if they try and put you down..rise above them
x
Reply 12

This should probably make you feel better when i say that is minor, other people have it much worse, trust me :wink:

THeres no better motivation than trying to prove someone wrong, stick with that and you will shine.
Reply 13
thanks guys, its good to know even strangers understand me better than my OWN parents. I really wanted to go to uea aswell because they have me an offer of abb but said they may reduce it if I go to the open day but I cant now :frown:.
Reply 14
why dont u get the train or bus to UEA if they aren't willing to take you because judging from your recent post it may be detrimental if you don't go?
*Princess*
why dont u get the train or bus to UEA if they aren't willing to take you because judging from your recent post it may be detrimental if you don't go?

:ditto: Just because your parents won't take you doesn't mean you can't go- go on your own.
Reply 16
Its 4 and half hours on car and I have never travelled on my own in a train so I am really lost :frown:
jesus_navas
Its 4 and half hours on car and I have never travelled on my own in a train so I am really lost :frown:

Ah, I can relate to that. I've never been on a train on my own before either and was really worried that I'd get hopelessly lost coming home from uni for Easter. Luckily, one of my housemates for next year is from the same town, so we're going together :biggrin: Do you know anyone else who wants to go to the open day, or at least someone who could tell you where to go? Apparently it's not as hard as it looks.
Reply 18
well I have just looked and its some 6 hours so I have decided theres no point going because it would mean staying in a hotel by myself etc etc. I have an offer at ABB so hopefully I can make it but I doubt it. Still if I get abc hopefully uea let me in *looks up hopefully*
Reply 19
jesus_navas

Better pick a campus uni, then.

Get a grip, for ****'s sake.

Latest

Trending

Trending