The Student Room Group

Which unis should i apply to with my grades for medicine this year?

So I'll be applying for medicine in the next couple of weeks and I've finalised everything in terms of my personal statement but I'm still deciding about which universities to apply to. Here are my results:
GCSEs:
A* - Maths, Eng.Lit, History, Religious Studies and Business Studies.
A- Bio, Chem, Physics, Eng Lang
B- Music, French
E- FSMQ Additional Maths
AS
All As in Maths, Chem, Bio, Economics and General Studies and I'm on my way of getting an A in EPQ.
Predictions for A2:
A* - Maths, Economics, Biology
A - Chem
UKCAT: Just over 700
BMAT: 5.7,6.5,7.5
Please please please can anybody PLEASE help me in deciding which universities I should apply to with my grades in order to maximise my chances of getting offers? E.G Which universities don't consider GCSEs as importantly? Right now I'm choosing between: Keele, Imperial, QMUL, Leeds, Bham and Sheffield. Are there any other universities that would be a good match for my grades? Thank you so much, good luck if you're applying this year too! Hannah.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The BMAT isn't even sat until 4th November, so you don't know your result until after you've applied.
Reply 2
Plymouth, Exeter, Cambridge (if you have 90+ UMS at AS).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by theresheglows
The BMAT isn't even sat until 4th November, so you don't know your result until after you've applied.

The A2 grades and BMAT are predictions sorry I didn't make that clear
Reply 4
Original post by Saj5677
Plymouth, Exeter, Cambridge (if you have 90+ UMS at AS).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are these unis ones that would be good for me or ones that focus heavily on GCSEs?
From my experience, Nottingham, Oxford and Birmingham focus a lot on GCSEs.

I got rejected without interview by Nottingham but got into Cambridge...
Reply 6
Original post by Will97Smith
From my experience, Nottingham, Oxford and Birmingham focus a lot on GCSEs.

I got rejected without interview by Nottingham but got into Cambridge...

What did you get in your GCSEs, A-Levels, BMAT and UKCAT if you don't mind me asking? For my grades do I really have a chance at Cambridge?
Original post by TAgirl
What did you get in your GCSEs, A-Levels, BMAT and UKCAT if you don't mind me asking? For my grades do I really have a chance at Cambridge?

7.5 A*s 3 As in GCSEs

4 As at AS with average UMS of 95% (went on to get 3 A*s)

My UKCAT was 660

My BMAT was incredibly average (I cant remember exactly but something like 4.9 5.1 and 3A).

Id recommend you apply to Cambridge if your AS UMS is high
Reply 8
Original post by TAgirl
Are these unis ones that would be good for me or ones that focus heavily on GCSEs?

Ones that dont focus too much on GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
7.5 A*s 3 As in GCSEs

4 As at AS with average UMS of 95% (went on to get 3 A*s)

My UKCAT was 660

My BMAT was incredibly average (I cant remember exactly but something like 4.9 5.1 and 3A).

Id recommend you apply to Cambridge if your AS UMS is high

Wow congrats on those amazing grades!! Do you reckon Cambridge will take me even If I get a high AS UMS because my GCSEs are still comparatively lower than yours. Which other unis did you apply to and get offers from? Any other unis that don't focus too heavily on GCSEs? Are any of the ones I mentioned reasonable for me to apply to? Thank you so much for all you're help
Reply 10
Original post by Saj5677
Ones that dont focus too much on GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay thanks you so much!! Do you know if Keele, Manchester or QMUL focus heavily on GCSEs?
Reply 11
Original post by TAgirl
Ahh okay thanks you so much!! Do you know if Keele, Manchester or QMUL focus heavily on GCSEs?

They don't.

Keele focus on your statement/experiences

Manchester UKCAT/statement

QMUL - Alevels + Ukcat

You should really check the unis website, all of this is on there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TAgirl
Wow congrats on those amazing grades!! Do you reckon Cambridge will take me even If I get a high AS UMS because my GCSEs are still comparatively lower than yours. Which other unis did you apply to and get offers from? Any other unis that don't focus too heavily on GCSEs? Are any of the ones I mentioned reasonable for me to apply to? Thank you so much for all you're help

Thank you.

I applied to:

Cambridge - Offer
Exeter - Offer
Nottingham - Rejection without interview
Keele - invited to interview (which I turned down).

I don't think that Cambridge focuses too heavily on GCSEs (unlike Oxford). Whether they take you would depend on a lot of factors (interview, BMAT, AS, personal statement).
I get the impression that GCSEs are less important to places like Keele, Exeter, Plymouth.
Reply 13
Original post by ToeHold
They don't.

Keele focus on your statement/experiences

Manchester UKCAT/statement

QMUL - Alevels + Ukcat

You should really check the unis website, all of this is on there.

Ahh okay thank you and haha I've been doing that for the past year but at the end of the day it comes down to patterns other people have found with some unis. Thank you for all your help though. Do you know anybody who has got a place into medicine with mediocre GCSEs??
Reply 14
Thank you.

I applied to:

Cambridge - Offer
Exeter - Offer
Nottingham - Rejection without interview
Keele - invited to interview (which I turned down).

I don't think that Cambridge focuses too heavily on GCSEs (unlike Oxford). Whether they take you would depend on a lot of factors (interview, BMAT, AS, personal statement).
I get the impression that GCSEs are less important to places like Keele, Exeter, Plymouth.

Thank you so much, you've been more than helpful!! Which uni are you at now if you don't mind me asking and what year? :smile: do you personally know anybody who's gotten into medicine with mediocre grades out of your friends or other med school students at your uni? I'm just so worried that despite having a good ps as great AS and UKCAT grades I still won't receive the offer x_x wish I concentrated in year 11.
you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at Kings with that ukcat :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by ondansetron
you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at Kings with that ukcat :smile:

Really??! Wow, I never thought I would have a shot at KCL.
Original post by TAgirl
Really??! Wow, I never thought I would have a shot at KCL.

hahaa yeah, I would be incredibly shocked if you didn't get an interview - especially as they do a sliding scale of A*s at gcse and UKCAT score. So 5A*s normally needs around 680+ for an interview, so I'd be pretty confident you'd get one with your stats :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by ondansetron
hahaa yeah, I would be incredibly shocked if you didn't get an interview - especially as they do a sliding scale of A*s at gcse and UKCAT score. So 5A*s normally needs around 680+ for an interview, so I'd be pretty confident you'd get one with your stats :smile:

Wow okay thank you so much for all your help!! Honestly, I love TSR because of you get to know about everybody else's experiences!! I think I've finalised my 4 choices. I'll be applying to Keele, KCL, Cambridge and either St Georges or Exeter. Please could you or anyone tell me if my choices are too optimistic or my grades??!!! Should I go for more lower ranked unis for medicine such as Plymouth or Sheffield?? Thank you again!!
Original post by TAgirl
Wow okay thank you so much for all your help!! Honestly, I love TSR because of you get to know about everybody else's experiences!! I think I've finalised my 4 choices. I'll be applying to Keele, KCL, Cambridge and either St Georges or Exeter. Please could you or anyone tell me if my choices are too optimistic or my grades??!!! Should I go for more lower ranked unis for medicine such as Plymouth or Sheffield?? Thank you again!!

I never did the BMAT so don't know how your scores look but considering your UKCAT is so good I'd go with 1 BMAT (Camb) and 3 UKCAT unis :smile:
Without putting you off I havent heard great things about Keele or Exeter ahaa but if you love them don't let my experience put you off! And I would personally rank Sheffield above them :tongue:
Have you considered Newcastle or Glasgow?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending