The Student Room Group

If UK Government goes into another major recession, what are your plans?

Let's say a 10 year Japan style recession. The whole property bubble and endless QE goes boom!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The economy will have another recession, as will every other world economy. Although currently our economy is growing well and a recession is unlikely, plus Japan's problems were caused by deflation
Reply 2
In reality, a great many people aren't overly affected by recessions. If you're on a salary in a secure job, there's not much of a difference to you.
Reply 3
Original post by L i b
In reality, a great many people aren't overly affected by recessions. If you're on a salary in a secure job, there's not much of a difference to you.

Property prices?
Price of goods?
Devaluation of the currency?
Crime
Increased Taxes
Demand reduction
Just netflix and chill.
Reply 5
Original post by Lord Kitchener
Just netflix and chill.

chilling brah
Reply 6
Original post by Flather
The economy will have another recession, as will every other world economy. Although currently our economy is growing well and a recession is unlikely, plus Japan's problems were caused by deflation

deflation occurred when the bubble burst brah. Same going to happen to the UK.
Original post by Bill_Gates

Let's say a 10 year Japan style recession. The whole property bubble and endless QE goes boom!

I have heard rumours about a global collapse due to this **** in china but what I have been told is if it doesn't happen by the last week to 10 days in september it will not happen at all. The source is not the best it is no one online but a pal who is privy to some info
Reply 8
Original post by DarrenBCFC
I have heard rumours about a global collapse due to this **** in china but what I have been told is if it doesn't happen by the last week to 10 days in september it will not happen at all. The source is not the best it is no one online but a pal who is privy to some info

Pin pointing when it will happen exactly is difficult but it's definitely going to happen.
how does a government go into a recession.. do u mean the economy?
Original post by driftawaay

well actually the UK government controls 52% of all GDP directly or indirectly. So in essence, Yes it's the government.
Original post by driftawaay

It aint the government who go into the recession it is an economy. The last recession was blamed on public spending but I think the bankers need to take responsibility they was just writing blank cheques due to deregulation which is the worst idea ever because it is the cause of that recession. Gordon Brown and the Government did it - but I have also heard Thatcher recomended it to them. I think Thatcher liked Blair. But this time what will happen is their is a lot of imports from china and a lot of businesses in this country deals with China which is why i believe some of the stock prices in this country are falling. Or if you don't believe what they are telling you go and read about the Rothschilds
Pin pointing when it will happen exactly is difficult but it's definitely going to happen.

Well thats the dates i have been told- my source but there is absolutely nothing to back this up otherwise comeback after this date if it is wrong I will hold my hands up.

Having wrote my dissertation on Japanese deflation I should point out that Japan's economy has averaged growth (albeit very weak at less than 1%) since the Tiger Shock so there's no recession lasting a decade. What your talking about is the fact that the likes of property prices never recovered.

The answer to your thread though is that it would depend on the severity. If we are talking about a Japan situation where it was more stagnation and a lack of recovery then I'd probably put up with it, I was employed through the Great Recession and people still could be in the situation alluded to.

If we have a Greek situation then I'd likely leave unless there was a threat of default (UK defaults would be huge and collapse the global economy) because there'd be no country much better off to go to.
Reply 14
Property prices?
Price of goods?
Devaluation of the currency?
Crime
Increased Taxes
Demand reduction

Property prices don't make much of a difference unless you're actually selling, price of goods isn't dramatically increased in the main and the recession didn't have any noticeable impact on things like crime.

If you're directly in business, fine. If not, you can pretty much sail through a recession unaffected.
Original post by L i b
Property prices don't make much of a difference unless you're actually selling, price of goods isn't dramatically increased in the main and the recession didn't have any noticeable impact on things like crime.

If you're directly in business, fine. If not, you can pretty much sail through a recession unaffected.

Property prices are directly linked to Banks who hold your savings?
Price of goods can both increase and decrease
You can't
haha
I'd blame Gordon Brown for spending money on schools, hospitals and cancer patients of course.
That's what caused the last recession remember.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Having wrote my dissertation on Japanese deflation I should point out that Japan's economy has averaged growth (albeit very weak at less than 1%) since the Tiger Shock so there's no recession lasting a decade. What your talking about is the fact that the likes of property prices never recovered.

The answer to your thread though is that it would depend on the severity. If we are talking about a Japan situation where it was more stagnation and a lack of recovery then I'd probably put up with it, I was employed through the Great Recession and people still could be in the situation alluded to.

If we have a Greek situation then I'd likely leave unless there was a threat of default (UK defaults would be huge and collapse the global economy) because there'd be no country much better off to go to.

Japans decline did last 10 years. I won't explain property economics to you. But clearly the masses are disillusioned with the eventual collapse of the UK.

I shall go prepare now.
1 deflation
2 inflation
3 growth up
Go to 1
When the last one happened I was a new graduate trying to find a job, so it hit me hard. When it happens next I should be in a career so fingers crossed it won't be a huge concern.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending