The Student Room Group

Is it better to go for a second BSC or a conversion course in computer science?

I graduated with a 2.1 in Psychology, and only at the end of my degree I realized that psychology is not what I want to do.

Honestly I entered psychology for all the right reasons. I was obsessed with academic psychology, and wanted to do a PHD at the University of Edinburgh in the area of parapsychology (it was my life long obsession) but after self-publishing numerous books on parapsychology I have realized that no one is interested about an academic analysis of extra sensory perception, and I realized that the career of an academic psychologists might not be the right one for me, as in my heart I want nothing more than to create art, as in games.

I'm an EU student (from poland) so aftre my degree I decided to move back to poland.

Right now I plan to re-qualify as a game programmer. Currently I'm working on point-and-click game with my Fiancee (she's an art and design graduate who's also an expert on 3d modeling). We'll probably have 2 finished games by the end of this year.

Now I have various options before me if I ever want to work professionally as a computer programmer.

For the next 3 years I'll be in poland creating video game projects. (Mostly in Unity 3d) That's a given. Now I have the following options
Enroll into a polish Computer Science program part time. (120 credits per year. It's kind off like the polish equivalent to the london external program or the OU just in really math-heavy computer science).

Specifically this one:
http://www.pja.edu.pl/en/computer-science/bachelors/studia-internetowe/program-studiow (I would get this for much cheaper than any british course)

I plan to accumulate 240 credits (120 ects points) And transfer to Teeside BSC in Computing

According to this page I'll be eligible for a student loan for a part time Computer Science BSC and I can transfer all my credits from the first 2 years of study
www.tees.ac.uk/sections/fulltime/funding2015.cfm

Specifically into this course:
www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate_courses/Computing_&_Web/BSc_(Hons)_Computing.cfm
Alternatively I would transfer it to the Open University Computing and IT degree. Both would accept 240 of my polish credits.

Alternatively I can just focus on learning on my own and on creating games and enroll into this conversion course 'when I'm ready'

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/pg/computing/computing-science/

I know that from 2017 student loans will be available for thought masters which would make this possible for me to do this conversion course.

Alternatively I'm considering preparing myself for this MSC
http://www2.hull.ac.uk/pg/courses/gamesprogrammingmsc.aspx
(They said that they'll accept graduates of any discipline if they learn C++ on their own)
Or http://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/msc-computer-games-entertainment/
(They also claim they'll accept you if you learnd programing on your own)

Would they consider me for this MSC if I had a conversion course from imperial college london?
http://www.abertay.ac.uk/courses/pg/cgd/

I know this might all sound confusing. Believe me I'm overwhelming myself with this. All I know for certain is that I want to spend the next 3 years creating games on my own with my girlfriend. I don't know which road would increase my employability in the area of game programing.

Do you guys think that geting some polish undergraduate classes in computer science might raise my chances of getting accepted into a conversion course (the first year is almost pure math in poland, which would demonstrate my aptitude at higher math) ?

Would a MSC conversion course from Imperial College London make me more employable than a BSC from the Open Univeristy or Teeside?

Would I be able to get into a masters that requires a BSC in computer science after I do the conversion course? (Such as the one in Abertray http://www.abertay.ac.uk/courses/pg/cgd/ )

Would a portfolio of games also be considered when applying to a video game programing degree?

Should I even bother myself with the polish undergraduate courses/classes? A part of me thinks that since I don't have Math A-levels, a transcript showing that I have aced undergraduate math classes at that polish school would at least show that I'm albe ot tackle all the math they'll throw at me. That's one of the reasons why I'm considering doing at least the first year of that undergraduate in computer science. It would be very cheap for me to do, and it might look good on the personal statement. Although I'm not sure about that, that's why I'm asking here. )

Who do you think is more employable someone with a MSC in computer science from imperial college london and an MSC in game programing or someone with a BSC in computing from Teeside/ The OU and an MSC in game programing?

I would be very grateful for an answer to this question.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you have aptitude then I think the MSc is a good option. I have friends who studied Engineering and Biochemistry and went on to do an MSc in computer science at Manchester and Birmingham respectively. Both went on to satisfying well paid programming jobs.
From what I heard the imperial MSC is very competitive they have 400 applicants for 40 places every year. Would taking a year of Math-centric undergrad courses improve my chances of getting in? Would it show proactivity and seriousness? Or would it give out a negative impression?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by empiricspirit
I graduated with a 2.1 in Psychology, and only at the end of my degree I realized that psychology is not what I want to do.

Honestly I entered psychology for all the right reasons. I was obsessed with academic psychology, and wanted to do a PHD at the University of Edinburgh in the area of parapsychology (it was my life long obsession) but after self-publishing numerous books on parapsychology I have realized that no one is interested about an academic analysis of extra sensory perception, and I realized that the career of an academic psychologists might not be the right one for me, as in my heart I want nothing more than to create art, as in games.

I'm an EU student (from poland) so aftre my degree I decided to move back to poland.

Right now I plan to re-qualify as a game programmer. Currently I'm working on point-and-click game with my Fiancee (she's an art and design graduate who's also an expert on 3d modeling). We'll probably have 2 finished games by the end of this year.

Now I have various options before me if I ever want to work professionally as a computer programmer.

For the next 3 years I'll be in poland creating video game projects. (Mostly in Unity 3d) That's a given. Now I have the following options
Enroll into a polish Computer Science program part time. (120 credits per year. It's kind off like the polish equivalent to the london external program or the OU just in really math-heavy computer science).

Specifically this one:
http://www.pja.edu.pl/en/computer-science/bachelors/studia-internetowe/program-studiow (I would get this for much cheaper than any british course)

I plan to accumulate 240 credits (120 ects points) And transfer to Teeside BSC in Computing

According to this page I'll be eligible for a student loan for a part time Computer Science BSC and I can transfer all my credits from the first 2 years of study
www.tees.ac.uk/sections/fulltime/funding2015.cfm

Specifically into this course:
www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate_courses/Computing_&_Web/BSc_(Hons)_Computing.cfm
Alternatively I would transfer it to the Open University Computing and IT degree. Both would accept 240 of my polish credits.

Alternatively I can just focus on learning on my own and on creating games and enroll into this conversion course 'when I'm ready'

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/pg/computing/computing-science/

I know that from 2017 student loans will be available for thought masters
which would make this possible for me to do this conversion course.

Alternatively I'm considering preparing myself for this MSC
http://www2.hull.ac.uk/pg/courses/gamesprogrammingmsc.aspx
(They said that they'll accept graduates of any discipline if they learn C++ on their own)
Or http://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/msc-computer-games-entertainment/
(They also claim they'll accept you if you learnd programing on your own)

Would they consider me for this MSC if I had a conversion course from imperial college london?
http://www.abertay.ac.uk/courses/pg/cgd/

I know this might all sound confusing. Believe me I'm overwhelming myself with this. All I know for certain is that I want to spend the next 3 years creating games on my own with my girlfriend. I don't know which road would increase my employability in the area of game programing.

Do you guys think that geting some polish undergraduate classes in computer science might raise my chances of getting accepted into a conversion course (the first year is almost pure math in poland, which would demonstrate my aptitude at higher math) ?

Would a MSC conversion course from Imperial College London make me more employable than a BSC from the Open Univeristy or Teeside?

Would I be able to get into a masters that requires a BSC in computer science after I do the conversion course? (Such as the one in Abertray http://www.abertay.ac.uk/courses/pg/cgd/ )

Would a portfolio of games also be considered when applying to a video game programing degree?

Should I even bother myself with the polish undergraduate courses/classes? A part of me thinks that since I don't have Math A-levels, a transcript showing that I have aced undergraduate math classes at that polish school would at least show that I'm albe ot tackle all the math they'll throw at me. That's one of the reasons why I'm considering doing at least the first year of that undergraduate in computer science. It would be very cheap for me to do, and it might look good on the personal statement. Although I'm not sure about that, that's why I'm asking here. )

Who do you think is more employable someone with a MSC in computer science from imperial college london and an MSC in game programing or someone with a BSC in computing from Teeside/ The OU and an MSC in game programing?

I would be very grateful for an answer to this question.

Incorrect. If you have a degree, you don't get financial support. The only exceptions are for social and healthcare degrees like nursing and medicine. You will have to pay yourself. Oh, and you will probably be paying the Overseas fee (because you already have a degree) so you better save up.

There is no provision for masters in 2017. That proposal was made by the previous government. The guy who proposed it is no longer in government. And seeing how Higher Education is going to face further cuts, I would not hold my breath for the possibility that the current government (which is hardcore on austerity measures) will give funding for Masters. Especially, when they are already making austerity changes to undergraduate funding.
(edited 8 years ago)
From what I heard the imperial MSC is very competitive they have 400 applicants for 40 places every year. Would taking a year of Math-centric undergrad courses improve my chances of getting in? Would it show proactivity and seriousness? Or would it give out a negative impression?

The university of Bristol offer a conversion masters in Computer Science :smile:

Might be the better option, becausee you won't get funding for a second degree like somebody else said in this thread. Hence, it would be cheaper for you to do a One year masters in Computer Science.
Original post by Juichiro

There is no provision for masters in 2017. That proposal was made by the previous government. The guy who proposed it is no longer in government. And seeing how Higher Education is going to face further cuts, I would not hold my breath for the possibility that the current government (which is hardcore on austerity measures) will give funding for Masters. Especially, when they are already making austerity changes to undergraduate funding.

Do you mean to say that masters degree funding is no longer coming in 2016? Does anyone have a source or anything?

Thanks for any info.
Original post by TimeWalker
Do you mean to say that masters degree funding is no longer coming in 2016? Does anyone have a source or anything?

Thanks for any info.

I am specifically saying that there is no program or plan in place for it (and hence, you can't say that it is coming). The guy who made this proposal is called Vince Cable and he is no longer part of the government.

Take a look at the government site gov.uk and you will see that there is no mention of a plan in place for 2016 or any time in the future. There was a consultation on HE funding started by the previous government and completed by the current one whose results were supposed to be out 2 weeks ago. That might be a source of hope but I highly doubt the current austerity-oriented government will actually make a plan for funding postgrad loans.
But what IS there. And will 100% is there. Are part time loans for a second BSC in computer science technology or engineering

You can read about it here:
http://www.tees.ac.uk/sections/fulltime/funding2015.cfm

And

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

To quote:

You’ve studied beforeGenerally, you’ll only get student finance if you’re doing your first higher education qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self-funded.However, you may still get limited funding if, for example:

you change course

you leave your course but decide to start again

you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, eg you’ve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an Honours degree

you hold an Honours degree or higher level of qualification and start a part-time Honours degree in engineering, technology or computer science (or a joint Honours in 2 of these subjects)

Both the OU BSC in computing and IT and the Teeside BSC in computing qualify. And please do take into account that I would get the first 2 years of my BSC for absolutely free for no loans, as I'd do them in poland and transfer the credit. Both universities will allow me to do that. So I would only pay for 1 year of Teeside/OU. So if the masters loan is not a possibility Teeside/OU seem to be a better option. But would their degrees be worth as much as the conversion masters?

So then if they won't setup the masters loan I will simply take the BSC. Which one would be better. Teeside or the OU? Both allow me to transfer 240 credits from the polish programme
(edited 8 years ago)
I am specifically saying that there is no program or plan in place for it (and hence, you can't say that it is coming). The guy who made this proposal is called Vince Cable and he is no longer part of the government.

Take a look at the government site gov.uk and you will see that there is no mention of a plan in place for 2016 or any time in the future. There was a consultation on HE funding started by the previous government and completed by the current one whose results were supposed to be out 2 weeks ago. That might be a source of hope but I highly doubt the current austerity-oriented government will actually make a plan for funding postgrad loans.

Interesting. That's referring to this I think?: http://www.findamasters.com/funding/guides/new-uk-postgraduate-loans-scheme.aspx

I'm interested because I need to be sure whether or not they will be available for 2016 as it will impact on my plans.

OP, as for OU or teesside, I'd do whichever is more convenient.
Interesting. That's referring to this I think?: http://www.findamasters.com/funding/guides/new-uk-postgraduate-loans-scheme.aspx

I'm interested because I need to be sure whether or not they will be available for 2016 as it will impact on my plans.

You mean they're both equally 'bad'? :P

Yeah that's the masters loan scheme I refered too. It also would impact my plans if that one didn't fall through...

The problem is no one knows for sure but the government. But we know with certainty that right now there is no plan. Maybe next month they will come and give us a pleasant surprise but given the austerity-approach of the current government I would not rely on that.

P.S. The info in that link refers to the consultation carried out by the previous government. As I said, the current government has not said anything about postgraduate loans but they have been very vocal about cuts to HE when they were in the coalition so now that they have full governing powers I see no reason why they would change their minds. One can always hope. But if I were you I would look into self-funding.
The problem is no one knows for sure but the government. But we know with certainty that right now there is no plan. Maybe next month they will come and give us a pleasant surprise but given the austerity-approach of the current government I would not rely on that.

P.S. The info in that link refers to the consultation carried out by the previous government. As I said, the current government has not said anything about postgraduate loans but they have been very vocal about cuts to HE when they were in the coalition so now that they have full governing powers I see no reason why they would change their minds. One can always hope. But if I were you I would look into self-funding.

But as I said the undergraduate loans for a second part-time degree in computer science are. already. in place https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
So I would be able to take 2 years of computer science in poland and finish it at the OU or Teeside and get a loan for it.

Ah ok. Informative. I'll take that on board and it will probably affect my choices.

When can we know for sure? Next month?
But as I said the undergraduate loans for a second part-time degree in computer science are. already. in place https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
So I would be able to take 2 years of computer science in poland and finish it at the OU or Teeside and get a loan for it.

That also depends on if the OU or Teeside accept that your 2 years at a Polish university is equivalent to a UK degree.

If you look online you will find that some people who have studied at the OU and want to go to a brick university won’t get accepted into the second or third year as the brick unis won’t accept it as an equivalent.

You’re best of emailing them and asking if they would accept you into the third year.
Incorrect. If you have a degree, you don't get financial support. The only exceptions are for social and healthcare degrees like nursing and medicine. You will have to pay yourself. Oh, and you will probably be paying the Overseas fee (because you already have a degree) so you better save up.

How are they cutting undergraduate funding?
(edited 8 years ago)

That must be a new addition. But note that they say "limited" funding. It might be a good idea to call them to see exactly how much funding you will get. Otherwise, you might find yourself at the end of your 2 years without enough money.
That must be a new addition. But note that they say "limited" funding. It might be a good idea to call them to see exactly how much funding you will get. Otherwise, you might find yourself at the end of your 2 years without enough money.

As I said I'll transfer the first 2 years from polish credits. So they'll only will really need to fund one year:smile:
I asked and they said they would..
Original post by IamLiquid
That also depends on if the OU or Teeside accept that your 2 years at a Polish university is equivalent to a UK degree.

If you look online you will find that some people who have studied at the OU and want to go to a brick university won’t get accepted into the second or third year as the brick unis won’t accept it as an equivalent.

You’re best of emailing them and asking if they would accept you into the third year.

So far I emailed OU. And they will accept. I don't know about Teeside. I emailed them But you know. OU and Teeside are low ranking unis, so I'm sure they'll accept any credit.
Ah ok. Informative. I'll take that on board and it will probably affect my choices.

When can we know for sure? Next month?

Technically, it was supposed to be there 2 weeks ago but it is not. So it is all in the air.

Original post by IamLiquid
How are they cutting undergraduate funding?

The maintenance grant has been removed. And the maximum maintenance loan amount has been increased by £766. Since the maximum value of the maintenance grant was above £766, it effectively means that they have reduced the maximum amount of finance a student can get.
As I said I'll transfer the first 2 years from polish credits. So they'll only will really need to fund one year:smile:
I asked and they said they would..

Who did you ask?
If you asked SFE, did you tell them that you already have an undergraduate degree?

So far I emailed OU. And they will accept. I don't know about Teeside. I emailed them But you know. OU and Teeside are low ranking unis, so I'm sure they'll accept any credit.

You should be aiming for high ranking unis if you want to get a chance to get in Imperial. Anyway, if you still decide to go to a low ranking uni, wait till you get a reply from Teeside and then make your plans. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending