The Student Room Group

Does anyone know what could be wrong with my fish?

Hi everyone,

I currently have 8 gold barbs in quite a large tank, and I've noticed something unusual about 2 of them. I've had them all for 3 or 4 years, if that helps. One of them has developed a swollen tummy, which has persisted for a couple of weeks now with little change. It seems to bulge out sightly more on the left side. He/she (I'm not sure which it is!) is still swimming fairly normally and is still eating so I'm not too worried, but I'm wondering what's causing this - could it be pregnant, constipated, have a swim bladder problem etc?

The other fish I've identified looks normal, e.g. no colour change, no swollen tummy etc. But, I've noticed that now and then it will float vertically with its head pointing upwards, moving its tail quickly from side to side, almost like it's treading water, but usually near the middle/bottom of the tank, not at the surface. Again, he/she is still eating. Could this be caused by a swim bladder problem too?

All of the other gold barbs are looking fine and behaving normally. Do you guys have any ideas what could be wrong with these 2 fish?

I appreciate your replies :smile:
i have fish myself and it does sound like they have swim bladder, i'd buy some treatment right away which will make your fish right back to normal
Original post by chloegreen
i have fish myself and it does sound like they have swim bladder, i'd buy some treatment right away which will make your fish right back to normal

Thanks, that's what I suspected :smile:
hope your little fishies get better

Original post by thecatwithnohat
hope your little fishies get better

Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
prolly needs a dump

Quick Reply

Latest