The Student Room Group

How do you know when to stop building muscle?

I always wanted huge, strong legs and noticeably huge glutes so started weightlifting in March. I already had quite big legs already at around 24" and my glutes were 38.5" coupled with my 29"-30" waist at the time. Currently I've made a lot of progress; my waist is 32" although a lot of that has to do with my now developed obliques, my thighs are 27" and my glutes are 42.5" so they're extremely prominent and stick out very far from my back. My goal was to first get my glutes to 42" which I have then I would consider going to 45" which is massive for a guy who's only 5' 5". I like the way I look though and would like to get bigger and I've only been lifting for 5 months. When is enough enough?

Scroll to see replies

When you start looking like somethin from a horror show
When you do your normal routine and aren't seeing any new muscle, of course
Original post by RainbowKiwi
When you start looking like somethin from a horror show

What looks bad to some people might look good to you.
The day you start lifting, is the day you are forever too small.
Original post by redbuthotter

No... NOOO!!! Don't look at me!
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou
No... NOOO!!! Don't look at me!

Obv depends on your goals, though in general if you train for size and strength (for fun and for yourself basically) people always pretty much want more.

Unless you train for chicks... then there's some middle level which is probably fine.
Obv depends on your goals, though in general if you train for size and strength (for fun and for yourself basically) people always pretty much want more.

Unless you train for chicks... then there's some middle level which is probably fine.

That's a good point.I train for myself but I'm sure those who lift for the ladies wouldn't want to get too huge for them.

Although it seems many men don't understand that most women don't like huge muscles.

Body dysmorphia represent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Body dysmorphia represent

Posted from TSR Mobile

With all the cardio you do, the chances are... you probably are small.
With all the cardio you do, the chances are... you probably are small.

I'm bigger than most people in the street, but small in the lifting world that is for sure
I'm bigger than most people in the street, but small in the lifting world that is for sure

loool just messing with you. What's your bw and height?
loool just messing with you. What's your bw and height?

I have accepted myself as small. Especially compared to someone like yourself

5'10 and a bit. Around 83-84kg. Put on some weight by being a fat bastard in the last month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

5'10 and a bit. Around 83-84kg. Put on some weight by being a fat bastard in the last month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is definitely the healthy mental attitude to have :biggrin:

I too feel like this every day. What doesn't help is that I'm aiming to come down to mid 90's for life/health reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I weigh 85kg and am only 5' 5"... I'm sure it's mostly muscle though.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou
I weigh 85kg and am only 5' 5"... I'm sure it's mostly muscle though.

ok m8
When you start walking with your arms stuck out away from your body like some bodybuilders do
Original post by Redfrost
When you start walking with your arms stuck out away from your body like some bodybuilders do

Google "lats".
Original post by tehforum
Google "lats".

Yea it's like carrying 2 bags of shopping
When you can't one arm curl 50kg for 5 reps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest