The Student Room Group

Intensive One Year A level Courses (State Colleges?) in London

Hi, I've been trawling through threads and college websites, but can only find one non private (non expensive) college, doing one year A level courses in London (Westminster Kingsway College).

Does anyone know of any others, and how good they are? I've got my sights set quite high, and want to get A's/A*s….. To get into one of the top unis, doing psychology (looking at Bath, Oxford)….

I was going to do an access course, but they are not recognised internationally, and I'd like to keep my options open, I'm considering applying in the US or Canada.

I've just turned 30, so would prefer to do a course with a mixed age group…but would consider being around teenagers if it was for one year….

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

you can always take them privately, would save a lot and you could just spend some money on private tuition
Reply 2
Thanks, if I take them privately, how do I show a prospective uni what my predicted result will be, so I an apply to start next year september? Especially for oxbridge…I think you need to apply in january…?
Original post by Haribo22
Hi, I've been trawling through threads and college websites, but can only find one non private (non expensive) college, doing one year A level courses in London (Westminster Kingsway College).

Does anyone know of any others, and how good they are? I've got my sights set quite high, and want to get A's/A*s….. To get into one of the top unis, doing psychology (looking at Bath, Oxford)….

I was going to do an access course, but they are not recognised internationally, and I'd like to keep my options open, I'm considering applying in the US or Canada.

I've just turned 30, so would prefer to do a course with a mixed age group…but would consider being around teenagers if it was for one year….

Don't know about colleges in London. But I imagine it will be harder to find now the exams have changed. So you'll be doing at least 6 exams next May/June which is a lot.

Also you'll still be around teenagers at uni, they aren't so bad so it may just be something you have to learn to live with.
Thanks, if I take them privately, how do I show a prospective uni what my predicted result will be, so I an apply to start next year september? Especially for oxbridge…I think you need to apply in january…?

You may need to do some searching for that question I recall it being spoken about that on here before.
depending on how advanced your knowladge is in the subjects you could always take a couple of the exams through cambridge (CIE) in October. You would then have some results to show a uni and take the rest in the summer.
Reply 6
Oh really...what are the changes if you don't mind me asking..?
Oh really...what are the changes if you don't mind me asking..?

Well since 2013 there aren't January exams so you have to sit them all in the summer. The new syllabuses from this September will have no AS exams, only A-level exams after 2 years.
Reply 8
Original post by SuperCat007
Well since 2013 there aren't January exams so you have to sit them all in the summer. The new syllabuses from this September will have no AS exams, only A-level exams after 2 years.

Thanks, I didn't realise. Do you happen to know if GCSEs are also only sat once a year too?
Thanks, I didn't realise. Do you happen to know if GCSEs are also only sat once a year too?

GCSE's have always been in the summer only.
Reply 10
Original post by SuperCat007
GCSE's have always been in the summer only.

Thanks for letting me know… Ah damn, I will do a search to work out how to do the predicted grades thing when self studying…
Thanks for your help.
Thanks for letting me know… Ah damn, I will do a search to work out how to do the predicted grades thing when self studying…
Thanks for your help.

It is more difficult if you've been out of education for a while. But I self studied psychology this year and applied to uni, I predicted myself an A, but I did have really high AS scores to back up that prediction. I guess if you predict yourself top grades you need a reference which can back up what you're saying in your predictions.
I didn't catch what you were studying. But I can tell that some subjects can be self taught, some easier than others.

I plan on studying a levels there next year. But I'm self teaching myself maths and further maths a level this year. Then sitting it privately next year when I start science a levels.

I believe you can still sit maths and English GCSEs in November.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/gcse/mathematics-4360

See under 'Key Dates' on the right hand side of the above link.
studying privately is very good
last yr i did a alevel course for one year didnt complete it due to lack of funds and other reasons.

I was in a class with 16 years olds
Reply 15
No there’s January papers

(Original post by SuperCat007)GCSE's have always been in the summer only.
Reply 16
Reply 17
Hi, did you get it? How is the results?

Reply 18
Did you get it ?
+follow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending