The Student Room Group

Foundation year UK universities

When you apply for foundation year in a UK university when do universities respond to your application and do they always accept you in their programme?

Scroll to see replies

Foundation year courses should be as if you applied for a usual course that isn't a foundation year. You can get rejected from their programs if you dont meet their requirements, like the usual courses.
No. Foundation years arent suitable for all students. If you have AAA you might get rejected over a student who has CCC and shows promise (for example using Durhams Physics course that wants A*A*A but offers a foundation).
Just adding on from Tunatunel; for foundation courses you have to be really careful that you meet the requirements as for some of them they will not accept people who have done the right A levels for that course (e.g physics so that would be maths and physics A level) that have done not so well and some, like durham, only accept mature students (people over 21).

Every university is different so check the website and contact the admissions team. They will give you the requirements that you need to meet.
Original post by Laurenafenete
Just adding on from Tunatunel; for foundation courses you have to be really careful that you meet the requirements as for some of them they will not accept people who have done the right A levels for that course (e.g physics so that would be maths and physics A level) that have done not so well and some, like durham, only accept mature students (people over 21).

Every university is different so check the website and contact the admissions team. They will give you the requirements that you need to meet.

Im sure Durham take people under 21, but you cannot have done the subjects you wish to take at university.

I did my foundation at Loughborough and found it really useful (so much so it got me into Durham).
Reply 5
Original post by TunaTunnel
Im sure Durham take people under 21, but you cannot have done the subjects you wish to take at university.

I did my foundation at Loughborough and found it really useful (so much so it got me into Durham).

We are talking about the foundation year you take if you don't meet the A level requirements for first year entry or if you don't have the necessary qualifications to do so, am I right?
Reply 6

Since you've been through the whole process, can you tell me how long you wait until they reply to your application for foundation year?
Original post by FarahHijazi
We are talking about the foundation year you take if you don't meet the A level requirements for first year entry or if you don't have the necessary qualifications to do so, am I right?

Yes in that case for Durham, Loughborough lets you do it.

Since you've been through the whole process, can you tell me how long you wait until they reply to your application for foundation year?

I got all my responses (5 foundation years) by early December.
Reply 8
Yes in that case for Durham, Loughborough lets you do it.

I got all my responses (5 foundation years) by early December.

So if I apply for foundation year at The University of Sheffield today when will they reply to my application? And when do I start?

I asked Durham if I would be eligible for their physics foundation course and they said no because I am not a mature student.
Reply 10
Original post by Laurenafenete
I asked Durham if I would be eligible for their physics foundation course and they said no because I am not a mature student.

You are probably talking about something else because a foundation year is meant to bridge the gap between high school and university studies so it's for 17-18 year olds.
You are probably talking about something else because a foundation year is meant to bridge the gap between high school and university studies so it's for 17-18 year olds.

No it was their foundation course for physics. I emailed the admissions team
So if I apply for foundation year at The University of Sheffield today when will they reply to my application? And when do I start?

I doubt they have places, foundation years are competitive (probably more competitive than normal courses).
When you apply for foundation year in a UK university when do universities respond to your application and do they always accept you in their programme?

How long is a piece of string?
Reply 14
Original post by jelly1000
How long is a piece of string?

Yeah?
Hey I've got a quick inquiry about foundation courses, is A-Levels required or can i enroll with GCSE's ? Can I join in Jan ? And are foundation courses transferable from one uni to another ?

You won't be able to apply today because the new Ucas cycle doesn't open until somewhere around the middle of September. The course would start in September 2016. Start your research here: https://www.ucas.com/
Original post by Marley109
Hey I've got a quick inquiry about foundation courses, is A-Levels required or can i enroll with GCSE's ? Can I join in Jan ? And are foundation courses transferable from one uni to another ?

They are like doing a pre-university level 1 year degree.

You need A-levels or equivalent. You apply through UCAS so cannot join in Jan. They are intended for progression at the host university, but in some cases, like myself I was allowed to use my foundation year in place of A-levels.
Original post by Marley109

No, you will need A levels or a BTEC. They are designed for 18+ year olds. They aren't a substitute for level 3 qualifications. You can't join in January. You can move to a different university.
Reply 19
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You won't be able to apply today because the new Ucas cycle doesn't open until somewhere around the middle of September. The course would start in September 2016. Start your research here: https://www.ucas.com/

But a friend of mine already did apply just two days ago for foundation year at the University of Sheffield.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending