The Student Room Group

How do I become pretty enough to get asked out?

I'm in my 20s and I don't get approached, asked out on dates or asked to be anyone's girlfriend. I've been single far too long for this to be sheer bad luck. I've conclused that I must be extremely below average in the looks department. You could ask why I don't approach men which is fair but there's no way I'm going to looking so hideous! I've always concentrated on improving and developing myself from the inside but can anyone tell me how to be pretty on the outside? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry above I mean I've concluded. Can't edit anon!
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in my 20s and I don't get approached, asked out on dates or asked to be anyone's girlfriend. I've been single far too long for this to be sheer bad luck. I've conclused that I must be extremely below average in the looks department. You could ask why I don't approach men which is fair but there's no way I'm going to looking so hideous! I've always concentrated on improving and developing myself from the inside but can anyone tell me how to be pretty on the outside? Thanks!

Your problem is your confidence, and (I presume) not your looks. Work on that!
Reply 3
Put yourself in situations where being approached is likely.
Reply 4
Second what Cheetah says but if youre really desperate Tinder or something would do it :?
Reply 5
Original post by RomNoob
Second what Cheetah says but if youre really desperate Tinder or something would do it :?

No I'm not desperate enough for Tinder I would rather be forever alone as I want nothing to do with hooking up or casual stuff.
Reply 6
Original post by CheetahCurtis
Your problem is your confidence, and (I presume) not your looks. Work on that!

How do I get 'pretty' confidence then :smile: I've tried to work on my confidence for years but always seem to get knocked back. I just want to be beautiful and then I wouldn't have to worry. No beautiful girl goes this long without being asked out :frown:
Maybe experiment with your hair/makeup/outfits etc, and approach guys.
Reply 8
Original post by iAmanze
Put yourself in situations where being approached is likely.

Like what? The only place men approach me is bars (which aren't really my scene and I'm a tee total) and stuff and that is only for one thing and I don't even dress provocatively. Where can I find guys that would approach me in a more serious manner?
1) Makeup. If you aren't getting any male attention, 9 times out of 10 it's because you aren't wearing enough makeup.
2) Show some boob
3) Show some leg
4) Maybe change the way you walk if it's unsightly? Maybe swing your hips a little and wear small heels
5) Wear "feminine" clothes like skirts and dresses

Bearing in mind, there is no guarantee of the calibre of men you'll be attracting through these methods.

Alternatively, just go to a nightclub in full bombshell makeup. You'll still get attention with conservative clothing
Original post by SeanFM
Maybe experiment with your hair/makeup/outfits etc, and approach guys.

Okay what kind of hair/makeup/clothes are guys attracted to (non-slutty)?
Reply 12
To be honest unless you are in the very attractive set you are not snowed under with date requests. From experience if you're only average you have to work for it. But there's lots a girl can do, more than a guy. Firstly get a more successful mate to advise then play to your strengths and work on any weaknesses - hair, pretty clothing, make up, being fun and flirty. With effort it comes.. Good luck:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Like what? The only place men approach me is bars (which aren't really my scene and I'm a tee total) and stuff and that is only for one thing and I don't even dress provocatively. Where can I find guys that would approach me in a more serious manner?

Networking events. Coffee shops. Queues (see a nice guy in a queue? Queue behind him and start a conversation)
PM me a pic I'm v interested
A picture would really help, if you want advice on how you present yourself.
Original post by Another
1) Makeup. If you aren't getting any male attention, 9 times out of 10 it's because you aren't wearing enough makeup.
2) Show some boob
3) Show some leg
4) Maybe change the way you walk if it's unsightly? Maybe swing your hips a little and wear small heels
5) Wear "feminine" clothes like skirts and dresses

Bearing in mind, there is no guarantee of the calibre of men you'll be attracting through these methods.

Alternatively, just go to a nightclub in full bombshell makeup. You'll still get attention with conservative clothing

I wear makeup... Nice brands too like Bare Minerals and Chanel. I wear foundation and eye make up.
I'm not really comfortable with showing my boobs it's not me and is against my personal values.
I do mainly wear dress but with stockings or tights as I'm not comfortable showing my legs.
Yes the way I walk is something I could give some thought to. And my body language in general.
I do wear feminine clothes like skirts and dress exclusively but I think I would have more look with skinny jeans, low cut and crop tops and leather jackets as guys tend to date girls with those kind of :frown:

I want to attract decent, wholesome men for a relationship. I'm not after a one night stand or anything if I wanted that I know I could go to a bar any night of the week scantily clad with lots of fakery that's easy. I want a boyfriend and most other women certainly don't have as much trouble as me getting one in fact they usually have several lined up even when already in a relationship.
sparklenshine? Is that you again?
Okay what kind of hair/makeup/clothes are guys attracted to (non-slutty)?

For me, with hair you can't really go wrong. If it smells nice, it's a plus. Things that make you stand out would also be a plus, but it doesn't have to be huge.

Makeup - again, can't really go wrong, unless you're putting on 'too much'.

For clothes, whatever compliments your figure.

I think if you ask yourself, or someone you know, 'does this make me look nice?' then it's good, and you just need to worry about what to say / how to act etc.
How do I get 'pretty' confidence then :smile: I've tried to work on my confidence for years but always seem to get knocked back. I just want to be beautiful and then I wouldn't have to worry. No beautiful girl goes this long without being asked out :frown:

Just talk to guys you meet at work, at bars, out shopping, etc. even if you're not immediately interested in them. Work on talking about interesting things or small talk and some guys will take at interest in you (friendship or romantic), that will boost your confidence. When you are comfortable doing that you can approach guys you like, and flirt with them :smile: It'll work, just stick with it. If you say something stupid, play with your hair, look down and giggle (or just smile).

Quick Reply

Latest