The Student Room Group

AS results spell BED - where to go from here?

So results day came and went, and I got some really disappointing results; I had a D in English and an E in History (this is the one I'm most gutted about) and a B in Welsh (I'm actually really happy about this one).

I know I have to resit my English and History AS exams but I'm a bit unsure of where what position I'm in for when I apply for university this year.

I want to do History and the courses I'm applying for ask for AAB-ABB with an A in History; will my poor results affect my chances of getting offers from universities?

Also, any advice on how to deal with handle Year 13 and A2?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmyGeorge98
So results day came and went, and I got some really disappointing results; I had a D in English and an E in History (this is the one I'm most gutted about) and a B in Welsh (I'm actually really happy about this one).

I know I have to resit my English and History AS exams but I'm a bit unsure of where what position I'm in for when I apply for university this year.

I want to do History and the courses I'm applying for ask for AAB-ABB with an A in History; will my poor results affect my chances of getting offers from universities?

Thanks.

I m sorry but I would say yes as you got the E in the subject you want to study that aiming for ABB is unlikely to get you an offer, how do you feel about doing your exams and then taking a gap year you'd be in a better position to apply to universities with requirements like that when you' ve already got the results.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I m sorry but I would say yes as you got the E in the subject you want to study that aiming for ABB is unlikely to get you an offer, how do you feel about doing your exams and then taking a gap year you'd be in a better position to apply to universities with requirements like that when you' ve already got the results.

That's what I would have done, but my exams officer has told me that that wouldn't be the best idea as apparently the universities won't accept me as all my exams weren't taken within the 2 years (?) and has recommended that I just carry on with A2 and resit.
You made the BED, now lay in it! :colondollar:
Reply 4
That's what I would have done, but my exams officer has told me that that wouldn't be the best idea as apparently the universities won't accept me as all my exams weren't taken within the 2 years (?) and has recommended that I just carry on with A2 and resit.

You misunderstood what claireestelle suggested.

During yr 13 do both your A2 exams + AS resits. That way you'll have finished your A levels in the standard two year period.

Take a gap year, get your results, and then in September 2016 apply to uni
Carry on with A2 and resit your AS exams next year, but don't apply to university this year. Then next August when you get your results, you will know which universities you can apply to depending on what you got. Then apply for university next autumn for courses starting in 2017, and take a gap year over the 2016/2017 year (make sure you do something worthwhile!) Your A Levels will still be taken over 2 years this way. I'm sorry there's no point applying for university this year as you won't get into the kind of institutions you want to go to with an E in history.
Reply 6
Original post by X_s
You misunderstood what claireestelle suggested.

During yr 13 do both your A2 exams + AS resits. That way you'll have finished your A levels in the standard two year period.

Take a gap year, get your results, and then in September 2016 apply to uni

Oh I see, sorry, I misread the reply.
Oh I see, sorry, I misread the reply.

You would always still have the option of seeing if there was anything you fancied in clearing on the results day when you know what your grades are and if theres nothing you liked then you would just be able to take a gap year as planned.
Try again and this time aim for MATTRESS or PILLOW.
Reply 9
Ask yourself whether you truly want to study history at University because history as a degree will be a lot harder than as level history. You could consider another degree like education- teach welsh?
OR if you don't think that the exams were a true representation of your skill in history then retake the year- I understand that some universities don't like this BUT it isn't advisable to jeopardize your A2 exams by retaking As levels. Work hard and get A's and A* then you can still aim for high unis
Take a nap :colonhash:

If it makes you feel better, I know someone whose grades spelt FUDGE
Reply 11
You would always still have the option of seeing if there was anything you fancied in clearing on the results day when you know what your grades are and if theres nothing you liked then you would just be able to take a gap year as planned.

Am i in a good position for getting an AAA offer if i got BBC at AS
Original post by SCAR H
Am i in a good position for getting an AAA offer if i got BBC at AS

I would think it completely depends on what and where you want to apply to and how far off the A's in as you were really,as you d be up against people who are already applying with AAA from there as grades.
Reply 13
I would think it completely depends on what and where you want to apply to and how far off the A's in as you were really,as you d be up against people who are already applying with AAA from there as grades.

But ill get AAA prediction?
Original post by SCAR H
But ill get AAA prediction?

Thats up to your teachers but at the end of the day even if your teachers did it depends on if the university itself believes that you would meet that prediction or not.
Reply 15
Thats up to your teachers but at the end of the day even if your teachers did it depends on if the university itself believes that you would meet that prediction or not.

What the **** are you on about?
Original post by TeryMery
Ask yourself whether you truly want to study history at University because history as a degree will be a lot harder than as level history. You could consider another degree like education- teach welsh?
OR if you don't think that the exams were a true representation of your skill in history then retake the year- I understand that some universities don't like this BUT it isn't advisable to jeopardize your A2 exams by retaking As levels. Work hard and get A's and A* then you can still aim for high unis

What I had planned to do was apply for History and joint honors History/Welsh degrees and then go on to do a PGCE, I haven't really considered doing an Education degree.

In all my history mocks I would get a A/B in my British History paper (I had a C in that one, apparently it was the hardest paper they've ever set according to my teacher after seeing the paper) and I would get 36/50 on my mocks which is around a B in my Russian History papers (I had a U in this one because I saw the paper and panicked).
Original post by SCAR H
What the **** are you on about?

If you get predicted certain grades but you were well off that with your AS grades the university may think "well this prediction is unrealistic, will they really get the grades we want?".

Thanks.

Well I got BCD at AS and now just got my grades now at a level at AAC, you can resit next year. Obviously you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself but it is doable. Dont sweat it man, second time round it should be easier for you.
Reply 19

Thanks.

Hey, iv just finished my A2 exam and im going to university this year so here goes. In my AS exam i got DDU a D in biology D in english literature and E in chemistry. I was more than dissapointed but I carried on to A2 and retook some of the exams i Worked from september and I got BCC so if i can do it so can you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest