The Student Room Group

Is jogging 10k a day too much?

I have just jogged 10k and feel great, I think I should keep it up. is it too much to do everyday?
Reply 1
It depends on your diet and how fast you're going. I don't recommend running 10k but a steady jog should be fine.
you probably want to take some rest days as well or your performance will dip

also if you want to train and improve it's generally better to vary your routine, I.e. do short runs, easy runs, long runs, tempo runs, speed work etc - if you just want to enjoy yourself though don't worry about that
Original post by Fortox
It depends on your diet and how fast you're going. I don't recommend running 10k but a steady jog should be fine.

well I have a running watch and it took me 51 minutes to do so, and burned 738 calories. I mainly want to get fit and be healthy and lose a few lbs.

Original post by doodle_333
you probably want to take some rest days as well or your performance will dip

also if you want to train and improve it's generally better to vary your routine, I.e. do short runs, easy runs, long runs, tempo runs, speed work etc - if you just want to enjoy yourself though don't worry about that

Maybe yeah But I want t burn calories and maybe get myself in a position to be able to do a half marathon one day.
Original post by trifleontoast
well I have a running watch and it took me 51 minutes to do so, and burned 738 calories. I mainly want to get fit and be healthy and lose a few lbs.

Maybe yeah But I want t burn calories and maybe get myself in a position to be able to do a half marathon one day.

well burning out will just mean you are forced to take time off and you will screw with your metabolism and you will ruin your training and probably end up injured and unable to run at all
if you want to train for a half marathon then train 4 days a week, one long run, one fast run, one easy run and one other session, with maybe a X training day if you want to

As others have mentioned, it's best to vary up your routine.

Today jog (take your time) a 10k. Tomorrow sprint 1500 meters. (really sprint - you must be dead by the end of it!) Then another 10k. And so on.

By the end of the week take a couple days off. If you want to run a half marathon, don't forget about longer distances too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by doodle_333
well burning out will just mean you are forced to take time off and you will screw with your metabolism and you will ruin your training and probably end up injured and unable to run at all
if you want to train for a half marathon then train 4 days a week, one long run, one fast run, one easy run and one other session, with maybe a X training day if you want to

Okay thanks, i will stick to 4 days a week, every other day maybe
You need to factor in your current level of fitness and your ability to recover. 10km in 51 minutes is great if you've never done anything like that before, but you'll have to see how you feel tomorrow. Make sure you warm up beforehand and cool down properly afterwards otherwise you'll take longer to recover. Don't try and do too much too soon as you'll be more likely to pick up an injury. As others have said, try and vary what you do otherwise you'll soon get bored of running the same route at the same pace! Good luck :-)
Reply 8

Cycling would be kinder to your joints, not to mention double as a viable means of transportation; I commute at least a hundred miles per week by bike and have an RHR of 45.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you're not a previous runner and go suddenly to running 10k a day, well, you're not going to be doing it for very long.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need to do constant jogging with a proper diet will be good for the health.

Quick Reply

Latest