The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Anyone here referred to student castle?

Just wondering if anyone is allocated to student castle? I've been allocated there and its off campus accommodation, just wondering if anyone else has been allocated there as I don't want to be stuck on my own like a recluse...

if you are, what accommodation did you get?
Reply 1
anyone? guess its just me in student castle? fml :frown:
University of York
York
I'm going to be living offsite. I only applied last week so hopefully they should be in touch with me this week with accommodation. I might end up in the same area as you.
Reply 3
Original post by YeovilTownFan
I'm going to be living offsite. I only applied last week so hopefully they should be in touch with me this week with accommodation. I might end up in the same area as you.

I'm contemplating finding my own accommodation... even though student castle accommodation is nice, it's too expensive and its let date doesnt match up to the university's term time..
I'm going into my third year at Uni of York and I'll be living in Student Castle next year! I've seen quite a few UoY students on the FB page so you certainly won't be the only first year there, and there are some of us older students too. Student Castle are planning on holding social events for residents, so you'll have plenty of opportunity to meet people.
Reply 5
Original post by Kimiechi
I'm going into my third year at Uni of York and I'll be living in Student Castle next year! I've seen quite a few UoY students on the FB page so you certainly won't be the only first year there, and there are some of us older students too. Student Castle are planning on holding social events for residents, so you'll have plenty of opportunity to meet people.

Ah, I hope so :smile: I found out that student castle also provides accommodation for york st johns.... since I'm getting a shared kitchen in a flat, I just hope i dont get put in flat filled with students from york st johns... would be awks if I was the only one who went to a different university in that particular flat....
Reply 6
I also got referred to Student Castle and have booked my accommodation through them.
Original post by Bustamove
Ah, I hope so :smile: I found out that student castle also provides accommodation for york st johns.... since I'm getting a shared kitchen in a flat, I just hope i dont get put in flat filled with students from york st johns... would be awks if I was the only one who went to a different university in that particular flat....

Are you on the Facebook group? If you've been assigned a room you'll be able to find flatmates on there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/598811130249944/
Reply 8
Original post by Kimiechi
Are you on the Facebook group? If you've been assigned a room you'll be able to find flatmates on there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/598811130249944/

no, I'm not in the group, I didnt even know there was one... :smile: but thanks for linking me to this group, I'll check them out :smile:
Confirmed my booking this morning, expensive but should be a great place to live hopefully!
Avoid at all costs. I know one lad on my course who stayed there, and he ended up moving out in first term because the company was so poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Conzy210
Avoid at all costs. I know one lad on my course who stayed there, and he ended up moving out in first term because the company was so poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

which university did your friend go to? I'm not really sure if it's bad but the student castle york accommodation is fairly new? I think? saw some pictures on google maps where it was under going construction.. so I'm assuming it's either renovated or new?
Original post by Conzy210

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where was this and what was wrong? I'm curious as i haven't heard any bad reviews about them before. The Student Castle in York is brand new this year so it can't have been there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello, would any of you recommend the Student castle over the first year uni accommodation? Me and my boyfriend are looking to get a studio flat in either
I am looking to rent a studio flat there with my boyfriend in September - it'll be our first year at uni. Would you recommend this? Do many first years go there? Or is it better getting a studio flat in the uni accommodation?
I'm going to be living at Student Castle for 2016/17
I'm going to York St John but I'm not finding many people who are going to be living in SC. I've got my flat number, 3.125
My friend and I have twin studio @ York Student Castle (Well we have to move in September this year)
Reply 17
Original post by Jjones1097
Hello, would any of you recommend the Student castle over the first year uni accommodation? Me and my boyfriend are looking to get a studio flat in either
Original post by KeelanDrew
I'm going to be living at Student Castle for 2016/17I'm going to York St John but I'm not finding many people who are going to be living in SC. I've got my flat number, 3.125
Original post by LlamaKeely
My friend and I have twin studio @ York Student Castle (Well we have to move in September this year)

I havent been on my account for a while so sorry for the late responses... I'm gonna give you my personal review of student castle and how I felt living off campus compared to living on campus. (Im a first year at the University of York btw)

When I first came here, I thought it was complete and utter ****. Not because of the accommodation being bad but because it was still under construction when I came here. The site was not finished and students were pretty much moving into a construction site. It took around 4-5 months for student castle to actually look like a place to live. We pretty much moved into a construction site.

Anyway, for those of you that are concerned with the amount of students, there is a pretty much even ratio of York st Johns and University of York students. The accommodation has 6 blocks. When I came, the majority of first year UOY students were put in block 4 (With some UOY students put in block 3 intermixed with York St Johns)
Im not entirely sure where the majority of York St john first year students are situated, but I think it might be block 3 or another block. Student castle is also not just filled with first years, there are also 2nd years, 3rd years, even a few masters and PhD students (but not many). There are also a lot of international students.

I cannot say the same for next year, since a lot of first years (in my year) are no longer staying in SC (student castle). Also they are raising the prices for accommodation up by another one grand. It was already expensive and I paid around 6.5K for my studio, so next year it will be way more expensive. I think what may happen is that there may be a higher number of international students in Student castle next year, especially ones that are rich since this accommodation is way too expensive for an average student. There are other cheaper off campus private student accommodation such as boulevard, or foss studios that average students may turn to instead of Student castle next year due to the raise in its fees.

Anyway, the accommodation itself is really really nice and way more luxurious than the ones on campus, but there are some faults but not many. Since they did not finish construction on time, they pretty much rushed construction so there are some things which aren't constructed properly/rushed. One example is my shower which bloody leaks all the time, but its only a small leak and the staff are happy to pretty much repair what ever it is that's broken.

In terms of Uni life for a first year UOY student, you will most likely be put into Constantine College when you're at Student castle, but it doesnt really matter what college they put you in at first because whilst you're at Student castle, you won't feel like you belong in a college.The accommodation is way nicer than on campus accommodation, but it doesnt have the same feel as on campus. For me, it felt like student castle was its own bubble at first, with students in SC doing their own thing during freshers compared to other students in my college. Maybe its because Constantine College is a brand new college so the social life wasnt great to start off with, but being in SC, you're far from the university. If you do attend their late night events, you won't be able to relax 100% completely since you always have to think about when the next bus is coming (at night, busses come once every 1 hour and they're also really unreliable). The fact that I was not on campus felt like a big deal to me during the start of uni, especially during freshers when you're just starting to experience uni and you're far from home, but I got over it and decided to make the best of my situation. I made friends on my course and also by joining societies. However this may all change next year and I guess every students experience is difference, but this was my case anyway.

It all sounds doom and gloom at first but there are some really great perks living in student castle. It's literally in the city center, so its less than a 5 minute walk to all the clubs. You don't need to call a taxi home like everyone else and York is pretty damn safe compared to other cities (but still do use common sense when you're out). Also, if you have friends on campus, you can also have pre-drinks at your place in Student castle. Its also close to a bunch of supermarkets so I dont need to travel far to get food. Its literally right in the city center so all the restaurants and cafes are close by, and its perfect for going for walks (especially during revision period). You're pretty much 5 minutes away from everything apart from the university. Sometimes on a clear day, I can just stand right outside student castle and can see the York minster. Barbers are also literally right next door to SC which is a definite plus (If I get a bad hair cut, I dont have to sit on the bus and expose my self to everyone, I can literally just slip away and hide :smile: )

Student castle also do host quite a few parties for everyone living there, they also give free food and alcohol so thats also a plus.

Anyway, it doesn't matter where you end up, as long as you make the most of it, you will have a great time in Uni.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending