The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE good enough for Medicine at uni?

Hi I have just got my GCSE's and I achieved:
2A* 7A and 2 B (and one pass)
A*:
Chemistry
Geography
A:
Biology
Physics
RE
English literature
Maths
French
General studies
B:
English Language
Further maths

And a pass in IT

I was just wondering how I compared to others who may apply for medicine. I know that most universities focus on a levels but I was just wondering :smile:

Thank you for anyone who helps :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes. They're fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Sheena_G
A*:
Chemistry
Geography
A:
Biology
Physics
RE
English literature
Maths
French
General studies
B:
English Language
Further maths

And a pass in IT

I was just wondering how I compared to others who may apply for medicine. I know that most universities focus on a levels but I was just wondering :smile:

Are you going to do a-levels?
Don't get me wrong, your GCSEs are great. However, for medicine it might be difficult getting interviews because of them. Particularly at some universities such as Oxford etc. I know some universities use a point system and then set a boundary for interviews. I was always told my GCSEs were bad for medicine (6A* 2A 3B) but don't let that hold you back! You only need one interview and then one offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Emsta
Are you going to do a-levels?

Yeah I am. I'm doing Bio, Chem, Physics and maths :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ThatOtherMegan
Don't get me wrong, your GCSEs are great. However, for medicine it might be difficult getting interviews because of them. Particularly at some universities such as Oxford etc. I know some universities use a point system and then set a boundary for interviews. I was always told my GCSEs were bad for medicine (6A* 2A 3B) but don't let that hold you back! You only need one interview and then one offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I would possibly be able to apply to university that aren't in the russle groups like Oxbrige with the gcses I have?
what year are you going in it and what universities are you thinking of applying too?
So I would possibly be able to apply to university that aren't in the russle groups like Oxbrige with the gcses I have?
what year are you going in it and what universities are you thinking of applying too?

Well, I am actually starting my first year at medicine at Hull York Medical School!
I applied to HYMS, Glasgow, QUB, and Keele last year. I had my predicted grades as AAAa in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics (as Queens wanted AAAa,) but got 3 interviews from the first 3 unis. However, I only got an interview from Queens because my school isn't a grammar school, so they saw that as special circumstances. I would not have got an interview with my GCSE grades, as they have a high point system. I only got one offer, but it was from the only uni I really wanted to go to so I didn't mind. I ended up getting AAAb (which was surprising, I thought I was going to get BDBb). But yeah, I would definitely apply to non-Russell group unis. If you have any more questions, ask away! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, your gcse are totally fine.

I got similar results to you (4A*s, 8A and 2b) and still managed to get 2 offers. Just don't apply to universities that really looks at GCSEs (like the above person said).
Good Luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Muhaha_6
Hey, your gcse are totally fine.

I got similar results to you (4A*s, 8A and 2b) and still managed to get 2 offers. Just don't apply to universities that really looks at GCSEs (like the above person said).
Good Luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't mind me asking which universities did you apply to?

And how did you manage to do 14 gcses?!? Haha I though I had a lot doing 12 :smile:

Thank you so much for your help
Reply 9
Original post by ThatOtherMegan
Well, I am actually starting my first year at medicine at Hull York Medical School!
I applied to HYMS, Glasgow, QUB, and Keele last year. I had my predicted grades as AAAa in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics (as Queens wanted AAAa,) but got 3 interviews from the first 3 unis. However, I only got an interview from Queens because my school isn't a grammar school, so they saw that as special circumstances. I would not have got an interview with my GCSE grades, as they have a high point system. I only got one offer, but it was from the only uni I really wanted to go to so I didn't mind. I ended up getting AAAb (which was surprising, I thought I was going to get BDBb). But yeah, I would definitely apply to non-Russell group unis. If you have any more questions, ask away! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow! thank you so much you have been really helpful :smile:

How much work experience did you have?

Ive got a work placement in a GP later on this year for a few days and I'm about to start volunteering at a care home.
I've also done work experience in a lab for a week which isn't really related to medicine but I did learn a lot from it.
Do you think that this is enough? I'm finding it really hard to get work experience in hospital as the ones I live near too aren't offering work experience.

Also I've just booked my place to go to Medlink in Dec, did you go to it?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't have anyone in my family or any friends who have gone through the medical application :smile:
A*:
Chemistry
Geography
A:
Biology
Physics
RE
English literature
Maths
French
General studies
B:
English Language
Further maths

And a pass in IT

Good Morning,

first of all congrats on a great set of GCSE's!
Just to add a couple of things onto to what's been said already...
1) Not all med schools have the same admissions process so whilst you may here stories of everyone getting 10+ A*s, this is NOT needed for all med schools. I can't say it won't help anywhere you apply, indeed it is all but a requirement for certain places ( Oxbridge, Birmingham ect.) but others, i.e. Sheffield have a threshold at 6A's, and Barts focuses massively on UKCAT score (alot less on GCSE's), focus on different aspects.
2) Your grades will be looked at in comparison to the rest of your yeargroup at your school, i.e. CONTEXTUALLY . This means that so long as your GCSE's represent high achievement at your school they can still play in your favour!
3) Everyone knows that med school admissions are crazy competitive, that said admissions tutors are human and will look at your application holistically so you can make up for a "lower" set of GCSE's with other parts of your application!

Hope this helps,
Ollie.
A*:
Chemistry
Geography
A:
Biology
Physics
RE
English literature
Maths
French
General studies
B:
English Language
Further maths

And a pass in IT

They are fine!

I got 1 A*, 8 As and 2 Bs at GCSE.
And last year I received all 4 interviews and then subsequent offers.
Just make sure you apply to your strengths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Rickstahhh
They are fine!

I got 1 A*, 8 As and 2 Bs at GCSE.
And last year I received all 4 interviews and then subsequent offers.
Just make sure you apply to your strengths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow thank you :smile: if you dont mind me ask where did you apply to?
and what extra things did you do for your application for medicine?
If you don't mind me asking which universities did you apply to?

And how did you manage to do 14 gcses?!? Haha I though I had a lot doing 12 :smile:

Thank you so much for your help

I applied to: Manchester, Barts and the London, Sheffield and Exeter

Lol I did one in year 8 and then I did an extra double award gcse in year 11 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by themedman2016
Good Morning,

first of all congrats on a great set of GCSE's!
Just to add a couple of things onto to what's been said already...
1) Not all med schools have the same admissions process so whilst you may here stories of everyone getting 10+ A*s, this is NOT needed for all med schools. I can't say it won't help anywhere you apply, indeed it is all but a requirement for certain places ( Oxbridge, Birmingham ect.) but others, i.e. Sheffield have a threshold at 6A's, and Barts focuses massively on UKCAT score (alot less on GCSE's), focus on different aspects.
2) Your grades will be looked at in comparison to the rest of your yeargroup at your school, i.e. CONTEXTUALLY . This means that so long as your GCSE's represent high achievement at your school they can still play in your favour!
3) Everyone knows that med school admissions are crazy competitive, that said admissions tutors are human and will look at your application holistically so you can make up for a "lower" set of GCSE's with other parts of your application!

Hope this helps,
Ollie.

Hi, thank you for you help
i go to a state school and my year on a whole didn't do too great with some people not even getting any gcses and a lot of people not getting enough to go to our sixth form, so this will work in my favour you think?

As for the rest of my application to improve it and getting a better chance at getting an interview should I just get a lot of extracurricular/ voluntary/ work experience etc?
Wow thank you :smile: if you dont mind me ask where did you apply to?
and what extra things did you do for your application for medicine?

I applied to keele, Manchester, Barts and St George.
Firmed Barts and insured Manchester.

I had volunteered at a charity shop for 5 years, volunteered on hospital wards for 6 months. Observed operations in theatres for one week and volunteered in care home for a week. So my stuff was fairly average tbh.

Did DofE up to gold. And also played for several sports teams. But I didn't do anything amazing really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Rickstahhh
I applied to keele, Manchester, Barts and St George.
Firmed Barts and insured Manchester.

I had volunteered at a charity shop for 5 years, volunteered on hospital wards for 6 months. Observed operations in theatres for one week and volunteered in care home for a week. So my stuff was fairly average tbh.

Did DofE up to gold. And also played for several sports teams. But I didn't do anything amazing really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool, wow dofe gold- ive just started my silver
Thank you for all your help!

You could apply to a good number of universities in the Russell Group as well; just not the ones that use GCSEs as a primary tool for deciding who to invite for interview e.g. Cardiff, Oxford, QUB etc.

There are some A-level reforms coming into place and I have heard that GCSEs might be more important next year than they are this year but I'm not exactly sure as no universities that I've looked at have made decisions on how the admissions process is being amended to accommodate the reforms.
(edited 8 years ago)
Wow! thank you so much you have been really helpful :smile:

How much work experience did you have?

Ive got a work placement in a GP later on this year for a few days and I'm about to start volunteering at a care home.
I've also done work experience in a lab for a week which isn't really related to medicine but I did learn a lot from it.
Do you think that this is enough? I'm finding it really hard to get work experience in hospital as the ones I live near too aren't offering work experience.

Also I've just booked my place to go to Medlink in Dec, did you go to it?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't have anyone in my family or any friends who have gone through the medical application :smile:

For my first work experience at 16, was in my local hospital for a week at going to different departments, which was really interesting and I also volunteer as a dementia ambassador for AgeNI. I give my mum injections for arthritis and I also have medical conditions which which had sparked my medical interest :P As for your lab work, as long as you can say what you learned from it, it's fine. I once had a lecture from Oxbridge dons about admissions, and they said it doesn't matter if you've had loads of different types of work experience, they just want to know what you learned from it, and how it benefited you. And no, I've never actually heard of Medlink, so I didn't go to that. I really wanted to go to GapMedics but I was also going to a summer school and could only chose one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Yeah I am. I'm doing Bio, Chem, Physics and maths :smile:

yeah they seem good for what you want to pursue in :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending