The Student Room Group

Exams or Coursework?

This poll is closed

Do you prefer exams or coursework?

Exams 52%
Coursework48%
Total votes: 2009
What do you prefer? People say they hate exams because of the large amount of pressure, others hate coursework as you need to meet deadlines which is stressful.

Scroll to see replies

Coursework for the most part but I do enjoy mcq exams as there's no worrying about how you write under pressure you just have to know the answers.
Hate courseworks. Exams all the way!!
Original post by blitzchika
What do you prefer? People say they hate exams because of the large amount of pressure, others hate coursework as you need to meet deadlines which is stressful.

Coursework, even though it is usually more intensive, there is much less pressure. You can screw up an exam due to nerves, but that isn't usually the case with coursework.
Course work hands down you can get guidance for a better grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
God, I love coursework. I don't get why anyone could prefer exams!
Coursework. Unfortunately, the subjects I enjoy are either mostly or fully exam based.
Probably coursework as I usually do well. Though I really enjoy essay exams (as long as I know what I'm doing :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Coursework is definitely less stressful and I usually can obtain the best grades in a subject if it has a coursework element. I do believe, however, that exams are less difficult once one identifies the appropriate method in which to complete them.
Coursework all the way.
Managed at least a 2:1 in all my coursework and am quite proud the lowest mark I ever got last year was 65% and I did that the night before it was due in (a series of mis-haps which never seemed to end...).

First my housemate loses my memory stick
Then my laptop crashes losing my previously saved work...
Then I've only got the bare bones on my email...

So, I thought *uck it... start from scratch... so basically got 65% for 3-4 hours worth of work. =D
Was a piece of coursework where I had to describe the entire process of hearing in 450-500 words, no more, no less...

Although, my first year, coursework was worth 60% of my mark and exams 40%, this year it's 50:50 and next year, even worse... 40:60...
Reply 10
Exams for Computer Science are too intense on memory, therefore I prefer Coursework.
Reply 11
I have a horror of exams due to my poor memory. One bad day can sink you.

Coursework is much better as I can take my time and research my answer. With proper planning, I managed to schedule it so I could have up to a week of "bad days" and still get it submitted by the deadline.
Reply 12
Original post by Mastermaths36
Any pupil that uses apostrophes where they are not required in their dissertations or Exams will fail them if they are in a class I teach.

Let's hope their grasp of capitalisation is better than yours - lowercase 'e' for 'exams', Sir. Plus you need to learn how to construct a cogent sentence involving appropriate punctuation, to ensure a readable result. And a pupil is a "who" not a "that".

Fail.
Reply 13
Original post by Mastermaths36
If you are attending Exeter College Oxford, or any other college...

It isn't a 'college' as in further education, it's part of Oxford University. I doubt Oxford undergrads need help from some dodgy internet randomer.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Coursework all the way.
Managed at least a 2:1 in all my coursework and am quite proud the lowest mark I ever got last year was 65% and I did that the night before it was due in (a series of mis-haps which never seemed to end...).

First my housemate loses my memory stick
Then my laptop crashes losing my previously saved work...
Then I've only got the bare bones on my email...

So, I thought *uck it... start from scratch... so basically got 65% for 3-4 hours worth of work. =D
Was a piece of coursework where I had to describe the entire process of hearing in 450-500 words, no more, no less...

Although, my first year, coursework was worth 60% of my mark and exams 40%, this year it's 50:50 and next year, even worse... 40:60...

You have to be the person with the most extensive profile information on TSR I have ever seen, haha! :biggrin:
Original post by Dhanihk
God, I love coursework. I don't get why anyone could prefer exams!

Because generally the less hard-working people could get away with not studying for exams and still come out with a top grade, but this is simply not possible with coursework. Coursework is normally really intensive, especially for History and English
Coursework for English Literature and History is <3
Yus, exams :biggrin: 1-2 hours of assessed work rather than several days? So much nicer.
Reply 18
I do better in exams because adrenaline stops my laziness. But doing coursework always make me get bad grades.
I prefer exams, I've always been a crammer and you can't cram for coursework. I guess coursework has its benefits, you can get advice and there's longer to work on it, but in general I'd go for exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending