The Student Room Group

How many of you go to private/grammar schools?

Scroll to see replies

I went to a ****ty comprehensive in Lewisham (borderline-impoverished area). Results in my 'about me' section. My results are sub-par compared to this forum, but I'm sure if I had a better education in a grammar/private school I'd be much better off. Unfortunately, I wasn't admitted to my local grammar school because of my low 11+ scores (joke of a system, IMO), and my parents aren't wealthy enough to send me to a private school, so the comp. school had to do.
Original post by ivybridge
I have been privately educated for sixth form and nursery - primary and secondary were state. My average class size is 6 people with a maximum of 9 per class. If the class is oversubscribed, more classes get made but it never exceeds 9 per class.

Class sizes at the moment:

Philosophy - 4
English Literature - 3
History - 3

Wow, that sounds amazing. We had 7 people in our A2 Physics class which was awesome, but the rest of my classes all had over 20.
Original post by Jade394
I went to a comprehensive school for my GCSEs and it was put into Special Measures by OFSTED while I was in year 11, so it was pretty much as far from a private school as is possible! Some people didn't get the grades they wanted, but there were a lot of people who got all A*s and As - the best in the year was 9A*s and 2As. So as far as results go, there's no reason why someone from a public school couldn't get into an Oxbridge university but I think it's the skills like interview technique and writing a personal statement that you don't really get taught if you're not at a private school, that make a public school application less likely to be successful. Also if you are from a poorer background so can't afford to go on a trip that would look great on a CV, or don't have time to study as hard because you have to work after school then it will make getting into a competitive university more difficult.

Im not surprised at the fact that some people got those grades I'm surprised that "a lot" did :smile: that's quite uplifting! Can i ask though, where is your school?
Original post by Jasaron
State comp with 100 students in my year. Shocked at OP's 500-person year!

We had another school join us a couple of years back (still one small building mind) so it went from 250 to 500. There's so many that there wasn't enough chairs in the hall so there's like 100 foldable ones out every assembly.
Original post by will_jg
Wow that's ridiculous. At my prep school we had 26 people in the year group, (12 in my class and 14 in the other). Now at A-levels my biggest class is 14 and my smallest is only 3.

No, what you have sounds ridiculous. ....woah imagine the amount of support you get! (Well I'm assuming a bit there)
Original post by simbasdragon
I go to a state school and the GCSE results were amazing. It had a 95% A*-C pass rate with 7 people out of the 100 in the year getting 13A*'s. About 30 more got 8A*'s and above and most got 3A*'s+.

Where abouts are you? Your area also may account for that too.
Reply 46
Grammar school with about 1,000 students. I honestly hated the enormous pressure from years 7-11 to get the GCSE grades, but the Sixth Form is a lot more relaxed, thankfully. :redface:
Original post by ivybridge
I have been privately educated for sixth form and nursery - primary and secondary were state. My average class size is 6 people with a maximum of 9 per class. If the class is oversubscribed, more classes get made but it never exceeds 9 per class.

Class sizes at the moment:

Philosophy - 4
English Literature - 3
History - 3

Wow.
Reply 48
Original post by Magicaltoaster
Good luck but don't rely on your teachers. Comprehensive schools seem to lack care. My german teacher joined the army 6 months before the exams. (Leaving behind oddly scattered coursework), my science teacher had a break down and spent the whole time calling us all bellends, my RE teacher got to the point in june where she was marking other school's papers and realsied she taught us how to do it wrong. And my personal favourite, my art teacher wouldnt tell me what i needed to do to improve (A to an A*) because she only got a B and it did her just fine! (They later lost all my year ten work). I mean it's all a bit of a farce.

Oh dear lord O_O I hope you did well despite all of this!
I've got to 5 School's so far (ex primary and nursery). All of them have been state, although my sixth form used to be grammar school.
Original post by elena2710
I went to a state primary school but a private secondary school and I achieved 10 A*s and 1 A at GCSE.

My secondary school was tiny (58 in the year I think) with small classes too. However, as it was not a very selective school, many people in my year were not as capable as would be expected of a "private school kid"- their parents could just afford to pay the fees and the school wanted their money. Having said that, I think many did benefit from the small classes and large attention received from teachers/ mentors which would definitely help with grades.

However I think it is important to keep in mind that the grades on TSR are not all representative of the country as people who do not care about grades/schooling etc are unlikely to sign up to a website all about education.

The pattern seems to be not about private schools or grammar schools but school's having smaller group sizes.
Reply 51
I went to a comprehensive school from years 7-11, and now am going to a grammar school sixth form to do my A Levels. I'll tell you if I find it a more enriching learning environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I came from a military family so not exactly well off, and also went to a comprehensive school where there was about 150 students in my year and maybe 25 per class. I failed my 11+ so I didn't go to a grammar school for GCSEs, but I did well at that comprehensive school (which was pretty terrible tbh, even though I miss it) and am doing A levels at a grammar school. The class size varies from about 20, and is as low as 10 :biggrin:
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
I went to a ****ty comprehensive in Lewisham (borderline-impoverished area). Results in my 'about me' section. My results are sub-par compared to this forum, but I'm sure if I had a better education in a grammar/private school I'd be much better off. Unfortunately, I wasn't admitted to my local grammar school because of my low 11+ scores (joke of a system, IMO), and my parents aren't wealthy enough to send me to a private school, so the comp. school had to do.

That's how i feel. I feel that it's set up so not everyone has the same level of education so unless you are very independent or bright it's impossible to get straight A*s in a bad school. (Aka....comprehensive )
Original post by Dhanihk
Grammar school with about 1,000 students. I honestly hated the enormous pressure from years 7-11 to get the GCSE grades, but the Sixth Form is a lot more relaxed, thankfully. :redface:

Hoping for this haha but im moving from 2,500 students to 1,000! That's my idea of small....
I go to a comprehensive school. It's really nice and I'm really glad I don't go to a grammar/private school. Some of my best friends wouldn't be accepted in to those. I'm just thankful I don't go to one. Idk why but private/grammar schools scare me because I feel that there is so much competition and more pressure. I like how relaxed yet dedicated my school is yet it's a state school.
Reply 56
Original post by Magicaltoaster
Hoping for this haha but im moving from 2,500 students to 1,000! That's my idea of small....

2,500, wow! I guess it depends how big the school is, though. My school added in a new form so every year there are more and more students so we can't have full school assemblies anymore.

Also, the Sixth Form common room is so small it can't even fit one year in it. My friend group spent most of year 12 sitting under a staircase... :P
Original post by Dhanihk
Oh dear lord O_O I hope you did well despite all of this!

It cost me my stars. I got my As but i didn't get my stars. German and re were doomed (ugh Bs...)
Ended up with 2A*s,7As , a B. German i got a C, which being remarked but also i have a reason for it so unis should be supportive. I have problems prouncing vowels and hearing them , my school wouldn't pull me out and it resulted in me really struggling with oral and listening. So yeah hahaha

I was predicted 5A*s, reason why im still unsettled a week later....
Original post by Edosawr
I go to a comprehensive school. It's really nice and I'm really glad I don't go to a grammar/private school. Some of my best friends wouldn't be accepted in to those. I'm just thankful I don't go to one. Idk why but private/grammar schools scare me because I feel that there is so much competition and more pressure. I like how relaxed yet dedicated my school is yet it's a state school.

As long as your school is dedicated.
Original post by Dhanihk
2,500, wow! I guess it depends how big the school is, though. My school added in a new form so every year there are more and more students so we can't have full school assemblies anymore.

Also, the Sixth Form common room is so small it can't even fit one year in it. My friend group spent most of year 12 sitting under a staircase... :P

We don't even have a sixthform! I'm going to a really good one in Yorkshire but it's the most competitive one here and even the private school students want to get in.

Quick Reply

Latest