The Student Room Group

How many of you go to private/grammar schools?

I'm just curious because I go to a comprehensive school which had under 30 people get grades like on TSR ( 3+ A* and then As) with majority of our 500 people year group getting Cs and Ds (and below) and around maybe 20% getting the Bs in between. We are also in Yorkshire and Humberside which has a.....great reputation (and we are in Hull hahaha)

When I look at tsr I'm always curious how many of you came from good schools and how many of you have come from week off families. Because if I'm honest the only people I know who have had oxbridge grades are people from the private school and I'm curious if this is the case across the country.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone's achievement, I'm just really curious.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Magicaltoaster
I'm just curious because I go to a comprehensive school which had under 30 people get grades like on TSR ( 3+ A* and then As) with majority of our 2000 people year group getting Cs and Ds (and below) and around maybe 200 getting the Bs in between. We are also in Yorkshire and Humberside which has a.....great reputation (and we are in Hull hahaha)

When I look at tsr I'm always curious how many of you came from good schools and how many of you have come from week off families. Because if I'm honest the only people I know who have had oxbridge grades are people from the private school and I'm curious if this is the case across the country.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone's achievement, I'm just really curious.

I went to private schools all my life until the 9th grade. From my GCSE's till now I've been homeschooled.
2000? Omg is that year size normal?
My school had around 700 people but ran from the ages of 3 - 19.
I went to a voluntary grammar. We had our own board of governors but most of us got in with free places (state funded). You could have been paid in. Apparently was the cheapest boarding school in the UK 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with you, although the amount of people at private schools that couldn't care less about their education (they've already 'made it' in life by being born wealthy) would surprise you.
I was home schooled for two years and then attended primary school with extra tuition until Secondary school. I attended a Grammar School as I decided against private school, much to my parents dismay. Now I have finished my GCSE's I start at another Grammar school next week to complete my A levels.
I'd say the majority of TSR do/have.
a lot of people get those grades and don't come from privileged private school backgrounds lol. i go to a state college (free) and my close friend got into oxford, she got As and A*s. About 40 people did so too.. it's not just private school peeps is ma point c:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hilrho
I went to private schools all my life until the 9th grade. From my GCSE's till now I've been homeschooled.

Interesting.
I think it only seems like tsr has amazingly good average grades because only people with good grades are prepared to share them. It is also possible that the kind of people that come to tsr are more serious about studying, and so tend to get better grades. Just speculation though.
Original post by kendellex
2000? Omg is that year size normal?
My school had around 700 people but ran from the ages of 3 - 19.
I went to a voluntary grammar. We had our own board of governors but most of us got in with free places (state funded). You could have been paid in. Apparently was the cheapest boarding school in the UK 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhhhh. Yes, sorry we had around about 500 in our year group. I have no idea why it said 2000 (well i do i put the wrong bloody number). It was too many kids that people actually broke their legs in the corridors trying to get past the rushing crowds at lunch. (2500 in a relatively small school lol).
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
I agree with you, although the amount of people at private schools that couldn't care less about their education (they've already 'made it' in life by being born wealthy) would surprise you.

It was a bit dishearteningif im honest. We had two girls work for over 3 years hard to try and get those grades and got 3A*s, 7As and 2Bs (pissed them offf when the nly difference between me and them was i got 2A*s ahaha...i did around about a month's work and had under 80% attendance for year 10). I always thought that if we'd all worked we could have had equal chances......i guess I was more naive than i thought.
It was a bit dishearteningif im honest. We had two girls work for over 3 years hard to try and get those grades and got 3A*s, 7As and 2Bs (pissed them offf when the nly difference between me and them was i got 2A*s ahaha...i did around about a month's work and had under 80% attendance for year 10). I always thought that if we'd all worked we could have had equal chances......i guess I was more naive than i thought.

True, we won't all get the same backboard in life, different things will happen, some for better and some not so.
Original post by Rmcewan15
I think it only seems like tsr has amazingly good average grades because only people with good grades are prepared to share them. It is also possible that the kind of people that come to tsr are more serious about studying, and so tend to get better grades. Just speculation though.

I've just commented about two girls who worked for 3 years but still didnt make it. I think it also helps if you go to a good school in a good area. Our school was good for our area (by that i mean it came close to the national average) but there were so many pupils it was more about getting people to pass then getting them A*s. Whereas private schools.......
Original post by themosscrowd
I was home schooled for two years and then attended primary school with extra tuition until Secondary school. I attended a Grammar School as I decided against private school, much to my parents dismay. Now I have finished my GCSE's I start at another Grammar school next week to complete my A levels.

Turned it away? I wish i could have done that! But was the grammar school still very good?
Original post by diamondluck
a lot of people get those grades and don't come from privileged private school backgrounds lol. i go to a state college (free) and my close friend got into oxford, she got As and A*s. About 40 people did so too.. it's not just private school peeps is ma point c:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasnt my point that people can't and don't! It's just much less likely.
Reply 15
300 in my year group. never been in a class with less than 25 students throughout all of my time in secondary school
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I was private school educated and was in a class of 17-19 for the entire duration.

I had a class of 35/40 of each subject. I was in the top set for each out of 11. I had one class which was 25 people and we called it cozy. Bloody hell.
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
True, we won't all get the same backboard in life, different things will happen, some for better and some not so.

Your url is so fitting.
Original post by Gilo98
300 in my year group. never been in a class with less than 25 students throughout all of my time in secondary school

What kind of school? Comprehensive? Because i think that's quite common for us.
Reply 19
What kind of school? Comprehensive? Because i think that's quite common for us.

run of the mill state school so yes, Comprehensive

Quick Reply

Latest