The Student Room Group

The University of Liverpool or East Anglia for Law?

Hi, I am trying to decide on my "safe choice" universities, so these two really stand out to me most due to their reasonably low requirements (ABB and AAB respectively). Which one of these two will look better on my CV after the graduation in terms of prestige (which is quite important for law)?

Scroll to see replies

Is this for insurance? Are you looking for A*AA or better at A2?
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
Is this for insurance? Are you looking for A*AA or better at A2?

My teachers predicted me A*AA. I also have decided to either go to a decent uni or skip going at all, hence such insurance choices.
Reply 3
What would be your first choice? And it's difficult, Liverpool is a Russell Group - However, UEA have a really good department and focus a lot on employability etc. Due to the fact they also have practising lawyers as lecturers they can offer skills to get internships etc. Apparently Clifford Chance had only oxbridge students at their internship, apart from one student from UEA due to the help she received on her application from such lecturers. I guess what i'm trying to say is it depends what kind of law you see yourself practising after your degree
Original post by Wrf95
What would be your first choice? And it's difficult, Liverpool is a Russell Group - However, UEA have a really good department and focus a lot on employability etc. Due to the fact they also have practising lawyers as lecturers they can offer skills to get internships etc. Apparently Clifford Chance had only oxbridge students at their internship, apart from one student from UEA due to the help she received on her application from such lecturers. I guess what i'm trying to say is it depends what kind of law you see yourself practising after your degree

Thanks, that was helpful. I also think about applying to Newcastle, Exeter, Southampton and York, with Newcastle being first (Really like this place).
Reply 5
Original post by 0123456543210
Thanks, that was helpful. I also think about applying to Newcastle, Exeter, Southampton and York, with Newcastle being first (Really like this place).

I don't know much about Law at Newcastle, however I can suggest looking more into Yorks course - They have a very different approach to teaching, personally I thought it looked amazing, so see what you think :smile:
Original post by Wrf95
I don't know much about Law at Newcastle, however I can suggest looking more into Yorks course - They have a very different approach to teaching, personally I thought it looked amazing, so see what you think :smile:

Yh, I really like the fact that they don't put much emphasis on exams, but focus on coursework and practical work. Hopefully I'd get an offer, I've heard that its much more difficult to get in there compared to Newcastle, Exeter etc.
And I would be happy as long as there is a moot courtroom :smile:
Reply 8
Yh, I really like the fact that they don't put much emphasis on exams, but focus on coursework and practical work. Hopefully I'd get an offer, I've heard that its much more difficult to get in there compared to Newcastle, Exeter etc.

I'd say its about the same for York and Exeter, atleast that was my experience. However, York do tend to do interviews unless you really impress them so i guess that makes it harder to get in, having said that the interviews are really easy and nothing to worry about if you are offered one :smile: If i was you I would definitely consider putting York or Exeter as your first choice in terms of which is most reputable, but also go with the one you think will offer you the most too - hope all goes well!
Just from the reputation of the university, Liverpool would be the better of the two options

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for helpful advice! :smile:
I'm starting at UEA for law on the 20th, so if you've got any questions, ask away!
Original post by inthechaos
I'm starting at UEA for law on the 20th, so if you've got any questions, ask away!

Are you starting your first year there and what was the most important factor that made you choose UEA?
Thanks.

**** sake, I honestly didn't know that York put such emphasis on coursework or I'd have applied there myself two years ago! That's a very tempting offer, so I'd go there rather than my university which is Exeter.

I'd go for Liverpool over UEA just for the added prestige. Seen a few people with an LLB from Liverpool get into decent firms, but truthfully never seen anyone from UEA.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by callum_law
**** sake, I honestly didn't know that York put such emphasis on coursework or I'd have applied there myself two years ago! That's a very tempting offer, so I'd go there rather than my university which is Exeter.

I'd go for Liverpool over UEA just for the added prestige. Seen a few people with an LLB from Liverpool get into decent firms, but truthfully never seen anyone from UEA.

Yh, I really hate exams as well, stress just gets me every time and with 65/70% of coursework the University of York seems very attractive. But at least Exeter isn't Oxford where exams are the be all and end all, so it can't be that bad.
Yh, I really hate exams as well, stress just gets me every time and with 65/70% of coursework the University of York seems very attractive. But at least Exeter isn't Oxford where exams are the be all and end all, so it can't be that bad.

Quite right, I am not trying to say having to sit exams which make 75% of foundation modules is the worst experience one could have, worse than being a child soldier in the Horn of Africa. It would perhaps place less stress on you as an undergraduate, though. That being said, most unis outside of the foundation modules will have optional modules where it's 50/50 or some where it's 100% coursework. It seems that York takes that to another level, however. And many people in their third year will have a dissertation and a large coursework component—they are not relaxed people! It's not as if coursework takes away stress, but rather creates a workload which induces its own type of stress.
I have also noticed that the UEA is ranked 8th and Liverpool 51st in the Guardian league tables, how reliable are these? That made the choice even more difficult, surely RG redbrick can't be more than 6 times worse than a uni thats only 52 years old?????:s-smilie:
Are you starting your first year there and what was the most important factor that made you choose UEA?
Thanks.

I'm starting my first year and the atmosphere was just perfect for me, I felt like I could fit in there. It's got quite a friendly family-like atmosphere. Plus the law school is in a cute little listed building in the campus park.
Original post by inthechaos
I'm starting my first year and the atmosphere was just perfect for me, I felt like I could fit in there. It's got quite a friendly family-like atmosphere. Plus the law school is in a cute little listed building in the campus park.

Cool, good luck with freshers.:smile:
Will you pursue the legal career or you want to get into some other industry?
Cool, good luck with freshers.:smile:
Will you pursue the legal career or you want to get into some other industry?

I would love a career as a barrister but I understand that may be out of reach, but honestly the solicitor or academic route sound good to me. I forgot to put in the last post that another reason I picked UEA is because the degree is assessed 50% by coursework and 50% exam, which is ideal for me because I do better in coursework

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending