The Student Room Group

England is so depressing, how likely am I able to move country after University?

I have felt this way for a while, I just find England so depressing to live in. I actually live in a really wealthy town, but still it's just so gloomy / small everywhere. I don't like a lot the people as well, I don't want to be offensive but the kind of 'lad culture' which has taken over I just hate that kind of stuff.

I am studying Law and i'd love to move to either America or Canada, permanently. which are so much nicer in terms of houses and everything being much more spread out, way more to do in terms of food / shops / wildlife, and I much prefer the culture there. Would this be possible, or am I limited to European countries only?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Unless you earn a lot of money, get very lucky, or marry into it, your chance of moving to the US is incredibly small.

You might be better off with Canada. Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember reading that they implement a points-based system for some countries. Having a good degree and being young would work in your favor there.
Original post by loya61
I have felt this way for a while, I just find England so depressing to live in. I actually live in a really wealthy town, but still it's just so gloomy / small everywhere. I don't like a lot the people as well, I don't want to be offensive but the kind of 'lad culture' which has taken over I just hate that kind of stuff.

I am studying Law and i'd love to move to either America or Canada, permanently. which are so much nicer in terms of houses and everything being much more spread out, way more to do in terms of food / shops / wildlife, and I much prefer the culture there. Would this be possible, or am I limited to European countries only?

It greatly depends on what kind of job or future you desire.

Whether you wanted to become a solicitor or a barrister can change a lot of things. Also, it might be helpful to learn another language.
England is so boring
Reply 4
Yeh moving to america is extremely unlikely unless you get an amazing job with a company willing to relocate you but you must literally be amazing for them to not find someone already in america, other than that marry into it, grass aint always greener though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by gul11and
Woahh no need for the racism, there are loads of places in England that don't have that many Muslims around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no they don't ruin the atmosphere, they just rape children and women and kill innocent people.
Reply 6
Original post by Gtrx171
no no you are the pathetic one around here.
people are getting tired of the muslim cancer.

Man I bet you dont have the balls to say this to their faces

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Gtrx171
no they don't ruin the atmosphere, they just rape children and women and kill innocent people.

You know what you are wrong! I see sooo many crimes linking to those that actually is done by the english people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Canada uses a points system so moving there isnt too difficult (my brother is in the process right now) your qualifications count towards the points and you get extra for things such as knowing french, best to research into this and see where you can get points and what else you can do to get the right amount of points, you can also go to canada on 2 year working visas and such, so maybe you could try get one of these and get a job etc which may help your application for citizenship

i dont know much about the US but i believe its a lot harder to gain citizenship
Original post by thesabbath
So rather than expressing your thoughts on the matter you should just move and hope they don't follow, ie white flight, and definitely never say anything "racist". This passive-aggressive politically correct "solution" has allowed the Islamic cancer to spread almost unchecked. That era is over.

Normal white people don't care whether they live near Muslims. I think you mean "racist flight"
Original post by Gtrx171

How far do you the word of Gtrx171 will spread before the TSR 'Support Team' actually do something useful?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scrotgrot
Normal white people don't care whether they live near Muslims. I think you mean "racist flight"

Are you saying that wanting to live predominantly amongst your own people is not normal? Are these the mental machinations necessarily to believe that race is a social construct, whilst clinging to the forlorn hope that there will be a revolution based around the ultimate social construct -- that of "working class pride world wide"?
Original post by Gtrx171

you are a bad troll 2/10
Original post by thesabbath
Are you saying that wanting to live predominantly amongst your own people is not normal? Are these the mental machinations necessarily to believe that race is a social construct, whilst clinging to the forlorn hope that there will be a revolution based around the ultimate social construct -- that of "working class pride world wide"?

Well yes, race has literally no basis in anything scientific other than humans pandering to their own venal tribalistic natures. We ought to go back to hunter-gathering if that's how weak we are going to be in the struggle to maintain civilised society.

Class, or income inequality, however, has a clear and quantifiable basis. You likely have far more in common with the Muslim bloke down the road than you do with someone like David Cameron or Nigel Farage - and certainly you have similar economic interests.

All else is divide and rule. Why does it divide my way and not your way? Because rule is based on class inequality, not race inequality.
Original post by scrotgrot
Well yes, race has literally no basis in anything scientific other than humans pandering to their own venal tribalistic natures. We ought to go back to hunter-gathering if that's how weak we are going to be in the struggle to maintain civilised society.

Class, or income inequality, however, has a clear and quantifiable basis. You likely have far more in common with the Muslim bloke down the road than you do with someone like David Cameron or Nigel Farage - and certainly you have similar economic interests.

All else is divide and rule. Why does it divide my way and not your way? Because rule is based on class inequality, not race inequality.

It patently doesn't divide your way. Did you fail to notice that identity politics is utterly trumping class politics in every multicultural diverstopia? This is because certain groups are literally being "privileged" by it (in the true meaning of the word, ie the State has their back), and others ("non-racist" whites) are unilaterally sitting out of the game or explicitly playing for the other teams (pathological altruism).

To recognise a member of the bourgeoisie these days you need only note their skin colour. If it is white, they are the enemy of "equality" (says our State) and must (implicitly) be destroyed. Officer Akhmed will be only too happy to carry out the State's bidding in this regard, after all, it serves his ultimate interests too :wink: Your class-based fantasy would get him nowhere.
Move to London. The best city in the world.
Original post by loya61

Well I 100% agree with what you say about the UK, but you will struggle massively with that degree. Not only do they have a different system, but unless you get some very good work experience, you will have a huge amount of training to do after your degree......yet all those courses are horribly oversubscribed. Just do buisness law, get work experience in London, get an internship at one of the big firms, and then move.
Reply 17
Original post by citydeer
Canada uses a points system so moving there isnt too difficult (my brother is in the process right now) your qualifications count towards the points and you get extra for things such as knowing french, best to research into this and see where you can get points and what else you can do to get the right amount of points, you can also go to canada on 2 year working visas and such, so maybe you could try get one of these and get a job etc which may help your application for citizenship

i dont know much about the US but i believe its a lot harder to gain citizenship

Hmm so do I just complete my degree then apply for citizenship to Canada? Or do I need to have an employer ready to hire me?
Reply 18
Original post by Sabertooth
Unless you earn a lot of money, get very lucky, or marry into it, your chance of moving to the US is incredibly small.

You might be better off with Canada. Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember reading that they implement a points-based system for some countries. Having a good degree and being young would work in your favor there.

I did have the idea of doing study abroad in America and potentially transferring to that university and finish my degree there. I can then do 1 year of postgrad training, where hopefully the company would be willing to hire me permanently.
Original post by loya61
Hmm so do I just complete my degree then apply for citizenship to Canada? Or do I need to have an employer ready to hire me?

depends what type of visa you want! if you have an employer ready you can go on a sponsored visa, but you dont need one i would suggest researching into the visas yourself if youre serious about going so you can get a real idea of what is required

Quick Reply

Latest