The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes you can, I got in with only a Level 3 BTEC
Reply 2
Yeah I did! :smile:
Yes you can.
Okay! Thank you! :smile:
Yep. There's only a select few universities that won't (e.g. Oxford and Imperial) but other than that you can get into most courses with just a BTEC, provided it's relevant for the course you're applying for. In some cases they might ask for an accompanying A-Level however, so it's good to check the university websites to see what their requirements are before hand.

Me personally, I did a BTEC extended diploma in Electrical and Electronic engineering and am going to study BEng in E/E engineering this September at the University of Liverpool. I also got offers from Nottingham, Lancaster, Manchester and Aston.

So don't fret! :biggrin:
Original post by elleharrison94
I've heard mixed answers and I was just wondering if you can since I haven't done A- levels.

Thanks.

Yeah you can, my friend did a BTEC and she's going to uni to study criminology and forensics :smile:
You can, just don't get passes, you need merit and distinctions for it to be on par with C and above at A level
Reply 9
I've heard mixed answers and I was just wondering if you can since I haven't done A- levels.

Thanks.

Yes you can but not to every course. What do you want to study at university?
I'd like to study media/film studies!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're now doing BTEC Extended Diploma then you should be accepted almost everywhere. BTEC is highly respected in creative fields.
If you want to go uni then you can get away with two A levels or equivalent although I would say do the extended diploma for better options and peace of mind.

If you want to be educated at university level without going uni for the whole time then you can do one A level or equivalent and do a HNC at a college, followed by a HND and then complete the last year at uni.

You can get into almost any uni with them and I would say each qualification has it's own advantage. For example, the A level guys will have good skills prepping for exams and good general knowledge of their subject whilst the BTECs will have good knowledge specific to the job they are training for.

One advantage for example for the BTECs wanting to study Exercise Science is that they can leave as qualified personal trainers or fitness instructors before starting uni, which may mean them being able to skip some stuff so I'm told
Reply 13
Yes, you can

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take this as advice from a stranger that means good for you, don't study media/film studies
Reply 15

Thanks.

yes you can, i got in to uni with a level 3 btec and i only got PPP
Original post by PinkRhinos
Take this as advice from a stranger that means good for you, don't study media/film studies

I would say that too. I did a BTEC ND in media and it got me no where....
You have to be 1000% sure youre dedicated to it as you can only really apply to degrees that are media related.
I realised I didnt want to work in media during my second year but completed it anyway to get the certificate.
Some years later going back to college to get onto a different degree.

The chances of changing your mind about your career is highly likely. I would opt for doing A levels and picking media studies as one as opposed to limiting your options with a btec.
Original post by MissDetermined
I would say that too. I did a BTEC ND in media and it got me no where....
You have to be 1000% sure youre dedicated to it as you can only really apply to degrees that are media related.
I realised I didnt want to work in media during my second year but completed it anyway to get the certificate.
Some years later going back to college to get onto a different degree.

The chances of changing your mind about your career is highly likely. I would opt for doing A levels and picking media studies as one as opposed to limiting your options with a btec.

Sadly in this world studying what you love just won't cut it unless you're one of the "lucky" ones who has a passion for maths/STEM, but for the rest of us who find that dry and boring (and way too difficult) we have to find some other degrees that give a realistic employment perspective...

Was your film studies degree 3 years or 2?
Did you get the full qualification or just a certificate stating that you completed the first two stages?
And what are you studying now?
It takes alot of commitment and perseverance to go back and pick up another field, you should be able to advertise that on your CV
Original post by PinkRhinos
Sadly in this world studying what you love just won't cut it unless you're one of the "lucky" ones who has a passion for maths/STEM, but for the rest of us who find that dry and boring (and way too difficult) we have to find some other degrees that give a realistic employment perspective...

Was your film studies degree 3 years or 2?
Did you get the full qualification or just a certificate stating that you completed the first two stages?
And what are you studying now?
It takes alot of commitment and perseverance to go back and pick up another field, you should be able to advertise that on your CV

Even though a history degree us not STEM. It's still intelectural demanding! :biggrin:
Original post by Jboy1999
Even though a history degree us not STEM. It's still intelectural demanding! :biggrin:

Yes, a history degree is definitely intellectually demanding and it's also on the respected/traditional subjects list. Very difficult!
(English, History, Maths, Sciences).

:u:

Latest

Trending

Trending