The Student Room Group

Primary school degree but no experince with young kids and im in yr 13

i'm technically doing a repeat year i started in sept 2013 and i want to do primary teaching,the problem is that I dont have any experience with children,what do i do?
Apply for a DBS check and ring local primary schools for work experience. Most universities ask for 10 days or 2 weeks experience so you should be fine.
Original post by khadiya
i'm technically doing a repeat year i started in sept 2013 and i want to do primary teaching,the problem is that I dont have any experience with children,what do i do?

Try and get a couple of weeks observing in a school in any days off you have?
Go in for an hour or two a week volunteering to listen to reading? Probably the easiest "hands on" experience out there.
Get some experience, it's the only way you'll be considered for teaching courses!

I did an afternoon a week in a primary school whilst in sixth form and a full week in another school, amongst other things. Contact your local schools and tell them you're interested in teaching and you may be able to go in during free periods or something!
Reply 5
how do i apply for a DBS check as my sixth form is "budgeted"on give work experience opportunities for their students.
Original post by khadiya
how do i apply for a DBS check as my sixth form is "budgeted"on give work experience opportunities for their students.

With something on a voluntary basis DBS checks would be free for a school to do for you so you might not have to pay for one
Original post by khadiya

Don't depend on your college to organise work experience. It is for you to manage and carry out in your own time
Reply 8
Get the experience! 90% of courses won't consider you if you can't provide evidence of work with children. Do you have free/study periods in school? It may be worth speaking to your school and seeing if they will let you out on an afternoon or morning when you have these periods to help out at a primary school for an hour each week- but it's up to you to organise it. Worst comes to worst, you're going to have to try and squeeze in experience during study leave or immediately after exam time. Also try volunteering at scouts/brownies/youth organisations. If you can't get enough actual in class experience, some universities will take into consideration other youth work outside of a classroom environment, you just always need to check what in specific your uni of choice is looking for.
It might be an idea to take a "gap year" and work in a primary school, even if it's voluntary.

A number of people on my Primary Ed course dropped out during placement, because they'd only worked the ten days required, and during the placement they realised they didn't like it after all. And these were all people who were certain it's what they wanted to do.
Original post by khadiya

You can't apply for a DBS check on yourself - the school which you are attending for work experience would have to apply for it if they required one (not all do). If you are working as a volunteer the check is free but I'm not sure if work experience fits into that category.

You might find this useful:
https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/arranging-school-experience-independently
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
im technically taking a gap yr as i got 2 BTEC level 3 qualifications and 1 AS, But in need to do A2 so i can get three A levels overall,so ill have more time on my hand,i was wondering can you apply for primary ed and nursing course at the same time through UCAS?
Original post by khadiya
im technically taking a gap yr as i got 2 BTEC level 3 qualifications and 1 AS, But in need to do A2 so i can get three A levels overall,so ill have more time on my hand,i was wondering can you apply for primary ed and nursing course at the same time through UCAS?

You could but you can't write a personal statement to fit both so it would be highly likely you d not end up with a place at all.
Original post by khadiya

Yeah, like the poster above said, it's impossible to write a personal statement to fit both.

What you could do is a nursing degree, and then a PGCE?
Reply 14
i was wondering if i applied for primary ed, i phoned all the schools in my local area but they all said the volunteering positions are full but i have an interview tomorrow as a play worker/creche support worker i dont know what to do in a short limited time i need help .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending