The Student Room Group

A-level Additional Further Mathematics?

Hello.

The chances of me doing this qualification are slim. My sixth form doesn't formally offer this choice, so I'd have to revise for and sit the exams externally. But, still, I'm interested in the possibility of taking it. It has this shroud of ominousness surrounding it -- almost as if it's so difficult that nobody even asks about it. Also, Googling it comes up with practically nothing.

My questions:

What does the course consist of? Do I simply pick 6 extra maths modules to go with the ones I'm studying in Maths/FM? Do these modules consist of Statistics/Decision/Mechanics modules exclusively, or are there extra pure modules available for AFM students to take?

Would studying for the exams independently be realistic? I'm not 'gifted' in maths -- I don't learn concepts ridiculously quickly. I do, however, love maths, and am prepared to put in as many hours necessary. As long as it's not impossible, I'm more than happy to pursue it

What order should I do my maths modules? Obviously, I'm going to do them linearly (S1, S2, S3 etc..) I don't know how AS will work, since all of the initial maths will be taken alongside regular maths and further maths AS.

Will it go something like this:

AS: C1, C2, FP1, M1, M2, M3, S1, S2, S3
A2: C3, C4, FP2, M4, M5, S4, S5, D1, D2?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I should probably supplement this post with some extra information:
If I do AFM, I'll compliment it with physics in AS. If I think I can handle it, I'll continue it to A2.
I plan on doing either maths, physics, economics or computer science at University. I understand that there isn't a single university in the world that requires AFM, but I stress that I'm doing it for the challenge and because I know I'd enjoy it. If I were doing A-levels exclusively for getting good grades and going to a Russel group, I'd do Maths, Physics, Economics and Further Maths. I want to do this because I want to learn maths.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Hello.

The chances of me doing this qualification are slim. My sixth form doesn't formally offer this choice, so I'd have to revise for and sit the exams externally. But, still, I'm interested in the possibility of taking it. It has this shroud of ominousness surrounding it -- almost as if it's so difficult that nobody even asks about it. Also, Googling it comes up with practically nothing.

My questions:

What does the course consist of? Do I simply pick 6 extra maths modules to go with the ones I'm studying in Maths/FM? Do these modules consist of Statistics/Decision/Mechanics modules exclusively, or are there extra pure modules available for AFM students to take?

Would studying for the exams independently be realistic? I'm not 'gifted' in maths -- I don't learn concepts ridiculously quickly. I do, however, love maths, and am prepared to put in as many hours necessary. As long as it's not impossible, I'm more than happy to pursue it

What order should I do my maths modules? Obviously, I'm going to do them linearly (S1, S2, S3 etc..) I don't know how AS will work, since all of the initial maths will be taken alongside regular maths and further maths AS.

AS: C1, C2, FP1, M1, M2, S1, S2, S3, S4
A2: C3, C4, FP2, M3, M4, M5, S5, D1, D2?

Thanks in advance.

I do know that AFM is just the remaining 6 modules which weren't chosen for Maths or FM, so if you did C1-C4 for Maths and FP1-FP3 for Further Maths, then all your AFM modules will be applied. There are no more pure modules other than C1 to C4 and FP1 to FP3 (which should be enough pure maths for A Level).

You do know that taking AFM gives little to no extra advantage to just studying Maths and Further Maths in university applications?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by flibber
I do know that AFM is just the remaining 6 modules which weren't chosen for Maths or FM, so if you did C1-C4 for Maths and FP1-FP3 for Further Maths, then all your AFM modules will be applied. There are no more pure modules other than C1 to C4 and FP1 to FP3 (which should be enough pure maths for A Level).

You do know it confers little to no extra advantage to just studying Maths and Further Maths?

That's what I thought, thanks for clearing it up for me.

And yeah, read the extra part I just edited in :biggrin:
Reply 3

You're welcome.

I suppose if you want to do economics, S1-S4 would be the best whereas if you want to do physics, M1-M5 is preferred (according to Mr. Mathscat the Saint of Maths also known as TeeEm the Vanquisher of the Innumerate).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4

Which universities are you interested in applying to?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello.

My questions:

A2: C3, C4, FP2, M4, M5, M4, S5, D1, D2?

Thanks in advance.

If I do AFM, I'll compliment it with physics in AS. If I think I can handle it, I'll continue it to A2.
I plan on doing either maths, physics, economics or computer science at University. I understand that there isn't a single university in the world that requires AFM, but I stress that I'm doing it for the challenge and because I know I'd enjoy it. If I were doing A-levels exclusively for getting good grades and going to a Russel group, I'd do Maths, Physics, Economics and Further Maths. I want to do this because I want to learn maths.

Maybe you could coach me on your high intelligence?
Original post by flibber
Which universities are you interesting in applying to?

Cambridge, Imperial and Durham in the UK, or, if I decide to go with my parents to the States (they're planning on moving when I go to Uni), some Ivy universities like Harvard/Yale.
Reply 7
I would say if you aren't gifted you would struggle. I enjoy maths, im not gifted at it and had to work very hard to get my A at A-level. If you do decide this route, expect to be working every night. Why not just take further maths? It's still a great qualification.

Plus it will impact your other A-levels so you'd get **** grades in general.
(edited 8 years ago)
Cambridge, Imperial and Durham in the UK, or, if I decide to go with my parents to the States (they're planning on moving when I go to Uni), some Ivy universities like Harvard/Yale.

If you want rigour, you should choose Warwick over Durham for Maths.
Reply 9

I'd love to visit the United States one day. I'm considering applying to the US universities if I have a realistic shot at it (I looked at the Fulbright Commission website yesterday).
Original post by nickmurp
I would say if you aren't gifted you would struggle. I enjoy maths, im not gifted at it and had to work very hard to get my A at A-level. If you do decide this route, expect to be working every night. Why not just take further maths? It's still a great qualification.

Plus it will impact your other A-levels so you'd get **** grades in general.

I'll definitely keep this in mind. I understand that this isn't child's play, but if physics has to suffer, then so be it. I'll likely drop the little **** when A2 comes around anyway, assuming I decide to do AFM. And I've already started working on my maths -- I taught myself a large proportion of C1 over the summer holiday, and can maintain ~73% UMS (on TeeEm's papers, which scale UMS with difficult) on the topics that I taught myself (diff/int, series, sketching graphs).
If you do AS & A2 maths, further maths and additional further maths you'll have to do all 18 modules over the 2 years. From what I've heard, M4 and M5 are extremely difficult, good luck to you studying them if you choose to do every module!
Original post by King of the Ring
If you want rigour, you should choose Warwick over Durham for Maths.

Will keep this in mind, thanks :wink:

You take any 6 Maths units that you haven't taken in maths and Further maths - exactly what choice they are/what they are depends a bit from exam board to exam board. You don't need to worry too much about which unit will land up in which A level, the exam board sorts that out automatically based on a standard set of priorities.

If you are going to do this then do your level best to do the exams at your school otherwise you will land up with some impossible clashes to sort.
Original post by JoshC98
If you do AS & A2 maths, further maths and additional further maths you'll have to do all 18 modules over the 2 years. From what I've heard, M4 and M5 are extremely difficult, good luck to you studying them if you choose to do every module!

This may help the OP, so may I ask, does taking M4 and M5 give a major advantage to the OP in the first year or two of a physics course?
Original post by flibber
This may help the OP, so may I ask, does taking M4 and M5 give a major advantage to the OP in the first year or two of a physics course?

Sorry I'm not sure! I would imagine it would be helpful, but the OP should check this with somebody who is more informed than I am!
Hello.

My questions:

A2: C3, C4, FP2, M4, M5, M4, S5, D1, D2?

Thanks in advance.

Are you going to do the step exams aswell? If not I suggest you do them instead as unis prefer them and it will give you an advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoshC98

Thank you! :smile:

Oh, and I'm counting on them being difficult :colone:
Original post by JoshC98
Sorry I'm not sure! I would imagine it would be helpful, but the OP should check this with somebody who is more informed than I am!

Thanks! I'll definitely make sure to ask my physics and maths teachers to see if this is advisable. It makes sense, considering I'll be doing physics in AS only.
Thank you! :smile:

Oh, and I'm counting on them being difficult :colone:

I'll be studying A2 maths and further maths next year, M1 will be the only mechanics module I study over the 2 years! :colondollar: Thank god, not a fan of physics :tongue:

Quick Reply