The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Science with integrated foundation year students!

Hi this september i will be attending the Science with integrated foundation course and would want to know if anyone will be in the same course as me? Btw i will be taking the physics route.

I would also want to know the course details for example the math test that separates the class into 2 groups, will there be an disadvantage if i were to do badly and be placed into the less math intensive class?

Thx!
There's already a thread further down the page, here.

To answer your second question, you won't be at a disadvantage if you're placed in the lower group. The test is purely for diagnostic purposes and has no effect whatsoever on your final grade or your progression onto your desired degree. As long as you meet the percentage requirement, it doesn't make any difference whether you took OB1/OB2 or OC1/OC2. The test is extremely easy, however, so if you've done any A-level type maths before, you'll most likely end up in the higher group anyway.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by HandmadeTurnip

To answer your second question, you won't be at a disadvantage if you're placed in the lower group. The test is purely for diagnostic purposes and has no effect whatsoever on your final grade or your progression onto your desired degree. As long as you meet the percentage requirement, it doesn't make any difference whether you took OB1/OB2 or OC1/OC2. The test is extremely easy, however, so if you've done any A-level type maths before, you'll most likely end up in the higher group anyway.

What are the difference of taking B or C class? if one of them is easier wouldn't it be an advantage to be placed into the lower class? or is the tests the same just the method of teaching is different?
Original post by Nerom1
What are the difference of taking B or C class? if one of them is easier wouldn't it be an advantage to be placed into the lower class? or is the tests the same just the method of teaching is different?

The material taught in the C units is considerably more basic, it's designed for people who haven't done maths past GCSE level. The content in OC1/OC2 doesn't go past fairly rudimentary calculus and trigonometry, while OB1/OB2 introduces things like complex numbers and matrices.

As far as I can tell, it is actually better being placed in the lower class in a way. It's much easier but it's treated exactly the same as the harder class in terms of grading etc. There might be something I'm missing but it does seem slightly unfair to me.
Reply 4
The material taught in the C units is considerably more basic, it's designed for people who haven't done maths past GCSE level. The content in OC1/OC2 doesn't go past fairly rudimentary calculus and trigonometry, while OB1/OB2 introduces things like complex numbers and matrices.

As far as I can tell, it is actually better being placed in the lower class in a way. It's much easier but it's treated exactly the same as the harder class in terms of grading etc. There might be something I'm missing but it does seem slightly unfair to me.

is it possible to switch in between the 2 classes mid year? and where can i find out the units that i will be taking?
Original post by Nerom1
is it possible to switch in between the 2 classes mid year? and where can i find out the units that i will be taking?

Not that I'm aware of, no.

You should have been emailed a link to the preregistration website at some point, along with the login details you need to access it. You can find information on all the course units etc. on there.
Reply 6
Not that I'm aware of, no.

You should have been emailed a link to the preregistration website at some point, along with the login details you need to access it. You can find information on all the course units etc. on there.

I would want to ask that how the course is graded? is there a test at the end of the year that your grade is only based on? and is there any past papers for the math assessment?
Original post by Nerom1
I would want to ask that how the course is graded? is there a test at the end of the year that your grade is only based on? and is there any past papers for the math assessment?

It's graded the same way as most university courses, a mixture of exams and coursework/tests. The structure and pass requirements for the Physics pathway are as follows:

Super Unit 1 - Minimum 80%
Maths OB1/OC1
Maths ON1
Maths OB2/OC2

Super Unit 2 - Minimum 80%
Physics: Matter
Physics: World of the Electron
Physics - Waves

Super Unit 3 - Minimum 80%
Physics: Further
Maths OF2
Maths OJ2

Super Unit 4 - Minimum 70%
ICT
Academic Skills
Project

Most of the units have an exam to coursework ratio of around 75:25 but all of Super Unit 4 is entirely coursework based.

The maths diagnostic test is done online so there aren't any past papers for it, though there are some sample questions on the preregistration website I mentioned before.
Reply 8
It's graded the same way as most university courses, a mixture of exams and coursework/tests. The structure and pass requirements for the Physics pathway are as follows:

Maths OB1/OC1
Maths ON1
Maths OB2/OC2

Physics - Waves

Maths OF2
Maths OJ2

ICT
Academic Skills
Project

Most of the units have an exam to coursework ratio of around 75:25 but all of Super Unit 4 is entirely coursework based.

The maths diagnostic test is done online so there aren't any past papers for it, though there are some sample questions on the preregistration website I mentioned before.

Thanks alot handmade turnip! your posts in tsr really gave me a lot of insight and eased a lot of my worries!
Original post by Nerom1
Thanks alot handmade turnip! your posts in tsr really gave me a lot of insight and eased a lot of my worries!

No problem, glad I could help. :smile:

Hi do you know what specifics topics to revise for the Maths test for freshers week? I want to apply for the 2016 Science with an Integrated Foundation Year and hopefully i get in. Do you know any specific topics which come up on the test so i can revise them over the summer?
Original post by CosmicAero
Hi do you know what specifics topics to revise for the Maths test for freshers week? I want to apply for the 2016 Science with an Integrated Foundation Year and hopefully i get in. Do you know any specific topics which come up on the test so i can revise them over the summer?

I can't really remember the specific topics, it's mostly GCSE-level stuff like basic algebra, rearranging equations etc. If you've done any form of Maths recently, it's unlikely you'll need to revise at all. I didn't and I still got into OB1 easily.

Maths OB1/OC1
Maths ON1
Maths OB2/OC2

Physics - Waves

Maths OF2
Maths OJ2

ICT
Academic Skills
Project

Hi, just wondering are people with just GCSE's from a bad schooling background (not mis-behaving but ton of sub-teachers and had to change entire route in 2 years by self-studying at homeschool) I'll have 1A*4A's. (Physics route)

Thanks.
Original post by ckfeister
Hi, just wondering are people with just GCSE's from a bad schooling background (not mis-behaving but ton of sub-teachers and had to change entire route in 2 years by self-studying at homeschool) I'll have 1A*4A's. (Physics route)

Thanks.

Sorry, I'm not sure what your question is. Could you rephrase it?
Sorry, I'm not sure what your question is. Could you rephrase it?

I went to a bottom 100 schools in England and wrong pathway too. I had to change my route from BTEC to GCSE within the last two years and too old for sixth forms. The only college that does A-Level isn't that good and wondering if Manchester University would accept someone with just GCSEs 1A*4As (self-studied and tutor markings, while Maths/Further Maths pure independant with no tutor) And would like to get Master degree in Physics.
Original post by ckfeister
I went to a bottom 100 schools in England and wrong pathway too. I had to change my route from BTEC to GCSE within the last two years and too old for sixth forms. The only college that does A-Level isn't that good and wondering if Manchester University would accept someone with just GCSEs 1A*4As (self-studied and tutor markings, while Maths/Further Maths pure independant with no tutor) And would like to get Master degree in Physics.

Oh, ok. They usually ask for A-levels so I doubt they would accept you. The only way to know for sure is to ask them though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending