The Student Room Group

AS Maths (M1....) or (S1....)?

I hope to do engineering at uni but my 6th form dont do M1/2 they do statistics instead (but i am taking physics)...
Will this be okay??
M1 is piss, S1 is piss just more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlo.Harr
I hope to do engineering at uni but my 6th form dont do M1/2 they do statistics instead (but i am taking physics)...
Will this be okay??

Obviously it's better to take Mechanics units (at least for the specifications I did, the mechanics units in Maths were much more advanced than what we covered in Physics) but as long as the university doesn't specify that you have to have taken Mechanics units, you probably will be fine. If I recall correctly, some Engineering courses at Imperial require you to have taken M1, but I haven't heard of any other cases. You might want to consider looking through the content of M1 and M2 though, even if you don't sit the exam. M2 is fairly straightforward once you've understood M1.
Reply 3
Will this be okay??

Yeah it'll be fine as long as you do OK in physics. I didn't even think universities see the individual units you do, just the end grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Self-teaching is an option, albeit a tougher one. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
Self-teaching is an option, albeit a tougher one. :smile:

Yeah i have the revision guide for M1 and M2 just waiting .... "/
nah u good, if u wanted to do engineering and werent doing physics and did maths s1 then there would be an issue as some unis want u to have mechanics, M1 covers topics from unit 1 physics(G481) and unit 4 which is A2 physics unit 1 good luck on ur AS Levels
Reply 7
Original post by jonnypdot
nah u good, if u wanted to do engineering and werent doing physics and did maths s1 then there would be an issue as some unis want u to have mechanics, M1 covers topics from unit 1 physics(G481) and unit 4 which is A2 physics unit 1 good luck on ur AS Levels

So i should be alright
....and also not doing FM does this mean i cant get into top unis?
Reply 8
So i should be alright
....and also not doing FM does this mean i cant get into top unis?

Further maths helps, but tbh unless you're doing a maths degree it doesn't really matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Andy98
Further maths helps, but tbh unless you're doing a maths degree it doesn't really matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You sure?
Reply 10
You sure?

From what I've been told yeah - further maths is apparently basically the foundation year for a maths degree (obviously stripped down a little). In fact, I think unless you're going to do a pure maths, or pure science degree you can get away with A-Level Use of Maths (arguably this could be seen as more helpful for an engineering student ).

Posted from TSR Mobile
For engineering, it's a bit of a no brainer to take M1, plus it's super easy, much more so than stats since no one likes the boring subject itself (trust me, I've done both S1 and S2, they suck). Also as has already been mentioned, you should take further maths due to the course you want to take.
M1 would obviously be preferable, but as long as you're doing physics anyway, you should be fine.

However, you should definitely make sure to choose the 'Applied Physics' option module.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
So much advice what to do.....

Quick Reply

Latest